Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• rikwatson
    United Kingdom 

Adaptive Dynamics - worth it?

So I understand the basic physics behind the system and that it should ultimately provide an improved ride in the vehicle. People that have it fitted seem to be very fond of it, but I'm keen for a side by side comparison before buying.

I've been to 3 different dealerships now and very little seems to be know about the system by the sales force. They're not sure what it does, which cars come with it (one chap reckoned it was standard across the range...), or how to check if a car has it fitted.

I test drove an HSE that I was initially told had AD fitted. After further questioning of the rep however, I realised he wasn't quite sure what AD did or even if the car I drove had it fitted - he was googling it during the test drive Rolling Eyes As I'm not sure how to check if it is equipped or not on a particular vehicle, it made the test drive a little pointless (though the car drove ok).

So, any advice welcome on:
    1. AD - is it worth it?
    2. How does one check if a vehicle has AD fitted or not?

Thanks in advance.
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

I have no idea about it being worth it, but take the VIN from the vehicle and check this in Topix, that should tell you what is fitted.

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

I think it’s well worth it. I bought it without a test drive, but hoped it would bring the handling closer to the RRS. It’s more about handling than ride.

In total, I spend around 5 days in non adaptive Discos, so had a reasonable feel for them. I’ve done 3.5k miles in my AD car now.

Much of the time, the AD car feels as the non-AD car does - no difference in a straight line and probably very similar in a medium sweeping bend.

The advantage is in direction change. Think sweeping right around a roundabout, with the body leaning left, then turning left with the body now switching to leaning right. The non-AD car makes that change in a clumsier, more wallowy way than the AD car. Basically, the AD car adapts to the direction change far more easily and comfortably - probably better for passengers too. I suspect that body lean is more tightly controlled too, but don’t think the Disco has active anti-roll which the RRS does.

Ride quality is just as good as the normal car.

I’d spec it again in a heartbeat.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

so, the AD car is probably how a standard car really should be?

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

I’d say so Mordred. Coming from a BMW440i and never having had a 4wd of any type, I think the AD option makes it handle very ‘normally’ albeit as comfy, loping and soft was we like it.

There are actually many bends that it tackles in a better way than the 440i, which was very much a nose-heavy understeering car unless deploying a lot of the power (which is tough to do under most circumstances).

Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

Adaptive dynamics was only an option from MY2019 onwards. Earlier cars won't have it.

You can only check by looking up the build sheet from the VIN. There's nothing to see in the car.

Having driven loan / demonstrator D5s without it and mine with it, I'd say yes, it's definitely worth having.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

Equilibrium wrote:
    I’d say so Mordred. Coming from a BMW440i and never having had a 4wd of any type, I think the AD option makes it handle very ‘normally’ albeit as comfy, loping and soft was we like it.

There are actually many bends that it tackles in a better way than the 440i, which was very much a nose-heavy understeering car unless deploying a lot of the power (which is tough to do under most circumstances).

Having lived with mine for 21000 miles now, I would say coming up the M11 last night (loaded only with 2 adults and 2 kids), it has far to much uncontrolled float. One of several reasons it will not be on my shopping list next time around.

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

I definitely don’t feel like that in mine, use it on the M4 daily and had a couple of spirited 3rd lane runs along the motorway due to family emergencies.

If you like everything else about it, I’d suggest trying a AD equipped demo back to back with yours.

If you are ever around Bristol, you’re welcome to have a go in mine.

Air suspension is quirky I think, but I also thought the D5 was superior to the (new,
    air suspended) X5 when I drove both a few days apart. The X5 felt very unsettled. Caveat being that it was all sub 50mph apart from very short motorway runs.

• Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Just realised that you said ‘one of several reasons’, so probably ignore my advice about seeking out a demo AD car Very Happy

Probably for another thread, but interested to know what has put you off it.

• Labbix

Mine MY18 feels actually very controlled, yes it floats in corners, but never reacts different than expected. Actually I think it’s easy to anticipate with this one, but am 100% sure I will take the AD if I can with the next one!
  • rikwatson
    United Kingdom 

Does anyone have a VIN for a car that definitively has AD fitted?

Have put VIN for the car I demoed at the weekend through TOPIX and it states 'LESS ADAPTIVE DAMPING(PASSIVE)' .
    Assuming this means it wasn't fitted to the vehicle but would be interested what it says for an AD affirmative car, before I go back to LR Guildford and point out they have managed to show off the Adaptive Dynamics option in a vehicle without it even fitted...
  • Labbix

I did pm you
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Sent my VIN to you Rik.

• rikwatson
    United Kingdom 

Thanks chaps.

CONTINUOUS VARIABLE DAMPING is listed in the AD equipped cars, whilst those without have 'LESS ADAPTIVE DAMPING(PASSIVE)' on their list of 'minor features' in TOPIX.

Now to go back to the dealership to thank them for wasting my time Rolling Eyes
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Cheers Rik. That’s terrible time wasting on their part and an unforgivable (yet sadly unsurprising) lack of knowledge.

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum