Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• BruceT
    South Africa 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Fuji White

Changing to 275 55 20

Hi All,

I am considering changing to 275 55 R20 from the standard 255 55 R20 tyres.

Are there any negatives to doing so?

Would you recommend I change the spare wheel also? The spare wheel will only be used if a tyre is damaged? The spare is a 255 55 R20.

Thank you
  • Slug
    United Kingdom 

https://disco5.co.uk/forum/post21790.html#21790
    I asked a similar question a while ago.
    Thumbs Up
  • BruceT
    South Africa 

Thank you Slug. Sorry about that. I will ask my questions there

moderators please feel free to delete this thread.

Thank you
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

Bruce, I changed the spare to 275, (a), to match exactly the rolling radius and (b), if in the event of a puncture or damage the spare would match the rest, (c), I got a good deal on 5 tyres., (d) because all 5 match, I can rotate them so I don't end up with 4 worn and 1 full tread.

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • BruceT
    South Africa 

thank you harrythespider.
  • Numb Thumbs
    Australia 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 SE Fuji White

Definitely go five the same. You don't want to have to drive with one wheel a 31" and one a 32".

Cheers
    Numb Thumbs Wink
  • Craigp
    England 

Forgive my ignorance but isn't it just the width of the tyre thats different?
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

The width is different but the 2nd number e.g 255/55R20 is the profile expressed as a percentage of the width.

So if the width is increased by 20mm and the profile is still 55 then the tyre has 11mm more sidewall which is 22mm more diameter overall.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • Craigp
    England 

Thanks Jon. I wasn't aware the 2nd number was a percentage thought it was a actual measurement hence my confusion Thumbs Up
  • Numb Thumbs
    Australia 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 SE Fuji White

I use the web site Tire Calculator:

https://tire-calc.com/

It is very handy for comparing tyre sizes. This is a comparison on 255/55R20 and 275/55R20. There is more information, but the cropped image is the gist of it:

Cheers
    Numb Thumbs Wink
  • Labbix

Numb Thumbs, thanks for the website, very clear and useful!
  • BruceT
    South Africa 

Thank you.

Im also stuck on whether i should fit 255 55 r20's or 275 55 r20's.

Main disadvantage of the 275's is I will need to purchase 6. Advantage is the slightly higher profile.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Personally, having followed Kingsley Holgate's expeditions with their D5s, if I were you I'd go all in on some Compomotive 18" wheels and 265/65-18 if you plan on the kinds of things they do down there. That's a 31.6" tire and will fit without a lift or rubbing, slightly smaller outside diameter than 275/55-20, and LOTS more sidewall. Wrangler DuraTracs are available in that size in the US, not sure about ZA.

265/70-18 is just over 32" and *should* fit but might rub in access height. General Grabber X3's are available in that size here.

33" tires will supposedly fit with lift rods but some claim increased duty cycling on the air suspension and thus higher chance of early failure.

Short of that, my 275/55-20's have served very well in the Rocky Mountains. Just not a whole lot of room to air down without risking rim damage, but so far there's nothing the D5 hasn't been able to surmount.
  • BruceT
    South Africa 

Thank you. I have contacted Compomotive already. (had them on my D4)

Unfortunately they wont fit onto my D5. Something to do with the rear brakes. I have a feeling kingsley's vehicles changed their brakes to fit the compomotives.

This is what they said:

"Sorry to say that we do not a wheel to suit your version of the Discovery… all due to the size of the rear brakes fitted.

I think that we are not alone…"
  • Labbix

BruceT, here you go regarding Kingsleys mods:

Discoverys

We fitted the 2018 Discoverys with a Frontrunner roofrack with mud ladders, a spade, a spare wheel bracket, a front LED light bar, and two Jerry cans for spare diesel.

At the rear of the vehicle, we mounted a wireless Warn winch system and a removable tow bar.

Inside the vehicle, we have a luggage cage behind the rear seats, and a ‘floating’ dual-battery system with a mounted ARB air compressor.

The vehicle is fitted with Melvill & Moon seat covers; and, for communication, each vehicle has a VHF mobile radio system.

To fit 18-inch rims, we modified the brake callipers; and we are running Cooper 275/65 R18 ST Maxx tyres.

For suspension, we increased the ride height of the vehicle slightly, to prevent overuse of the vehicle’s air compressor in off-road conditions.

From the SA4x4 app Wink
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum