Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• winmar
    Germany 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

Tire sizes / Snow chains

Hi all,

Have not been able to find the actual tire sizes for the 19" and 20" wheels and whether or not snow chains can be fitted.

What tire sizes can be fitted on the D5 19" and 20" wheels?
    Which type of snow chains and/or spike spider system can be fitted on the D5?

Thx in advance!
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 
  • AndrewS
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Silicon Silver

Traction devices approved by the vehicle manufacturer, may be used to improve traction in heavy snow conditions, on compacted snow. They should not be used in off-road conditions where there is no compacted snow.

If it becomes necessary to fit traction devices, the following points must be observed:

Only vehicle manufacturer approved traction devices should be used on the vehicle. Only vehicle manufacturer approved traction devices have been tested to make sure they do not cause damage to the vehicle. Contact a retailer/authorised repairer for information.

The wheels and tyres fitted to the vehicle must conform to the specifications of the vehicle manufacturer's original equipment. This helps to enhance the performance of the traction devices. See TYRE MARKINGS.
    Lifted from the link above.

Full chain traction devices can be fitted to the rear wheels of vehicles fitted with 19 and 20 inch diameter wheels.

Half chain traction devices can be fitted to the rear wheels of vehicles fitted with 21 and 22 inch diameter wheels.

Do not fit a traction device to a temporary-use spare wheel.

Fit traction devices in pairs on the same axle.

Always read, understand, and follow the traction device manufacturer's instructions. Pay particular attention to the maximum speed and fitting instructions.

Avoid tyre and/or vehicle damage, by removing the traction devices as soon as the conditions allow.
  • eelpout
    United States 

When I bought my D5, my dealer (here in the U.S.) made me sign a form stating that I acknowledge only LR approved traction devices are to be used. It specifically states that "as equipped, this vehicle may not be operated with tire chains."

The "approved" traction device is $1100.

It's possible I had to sign that since I'm leasing the car.
  • S2bear
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

Re: Tire sizes / Snow chains

winmar wrote:
    Hi all,

Have not been able to find the actual tire sizes for the 19" and 20" wheels and whether or not snow chains can be fitted.

What tire sizes can be fitted on the D5 19" and 20" wheels?
    Which type of snow chains and/or spike spider system can be fitted on the D5?

Thx in advance!

http://www.spikes-spider.ch Is the page with the spider figment guide.
    If you have 22's you're pretty much limited to the Polaire Grip traction devices: https://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel...k1%2CAUZpz
  • Ronbo
    United States 
    2017 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Koenig/Thule Summit XXL K77 snow chains

These appear to be the “traction devices” recommended by LR Discovery for $1000.
    For 255x55x20 Wheels.
    Amazon has them for $400 US. I ordered thru Amazon uk and received in 1 week.
    Fit them properly (remove a few tensioners) before actually needing them.
    They mount in less than 5 minutes.
    Great so far.
  • eelpout
    United States 

if I get a 2020 I was considering 21" tires, which are bigger than the 20" on my MY2017. It looks like there are fewer chain options out there for 275/45R21, anyone have them and give some feedback?
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

I can't imagine there's a significant difference between chains that fit on a 255/55-20 and a 275/45-21. Diameter and tread width is less than an inch difference in each dimension.

Just would change the tensioning required.

In CA I can see the benefit in running chains, but in Maine, wouldn't snow tires be better in winter? Winter tread compounds are better at low temps whether driving in snow or on dry roads...
  • Labbix

Diesel ranger, did you see my link with the video comparison between winter summer all season tyres?

Apparently winter tyres are worst than summer tyres on dry. They recommend All Season in winter conditions except for driving on real snow.
  • Ronbo
    United States 
    2017 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Diesel Ranger
    My situation is unique in that I need chains for the last mile on an unplowed dirt road.
    Studded tires would work but most of the roads are clear. These ‘traction’ devices, as LR calls them, go on in minutes. Time will tell how long they actually last.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 

Labbix wrote:
    Diesel ranger, did you see my link with the video comparison between winter summer all season tyres?

Apparently winter tyres are worst than summer tyres on dry. They recommend All Season in winter conditions except for driving on real snow.

Lots of variables in that comparison. In Maine it can get very very cold for a long time, and stay cloudy for a long time, so the road bed temperature drops so low that even all-seasons go hard as rocks and stay that way. They also get a sh*t-ton of snow, and it gets packed down on the roads and stays there for weeks.

I had Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV tires on my Volkswagen Touareg, and while they were like driving on chewing gum when the ambient temp was above about 40F, in the Colorado Rockies where the high temps might not crack 15F for weeks they were as good on dry roads as an AT tire. I'd much rather have a tire that restricts my performance in warmer, dry weather so that when I'm driving on cold, snowpacked roads in the Rockies (Google US 550 from Ouray to Silverton, the "Million Dollar Highway") I have a sure-footed vehicle on the roads. Those tries had Finnish elf magic in them, though, because I also gained 4-5mpg combined vs an AT tire.

But, I do agree that a good AT 4PMSF tire in California is a great choice if you're just popping up to Mammoth or Tahoe a couple times per winter - they just wear faster in the warm weather everywhere else.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 

Ronbo wrote:
    Diesel Ranger
    My situation is unique in that I need chains for the last mile on an unplowed dirt road.
    Studded tires would work but most of the roads are clear. These ‘traction’ devices, as LR calls them, go on in minutes. Time will tell how long they actually last.

Now that makes sense.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum