Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• GonzagueGB
    Japan 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Montalcino Red

Snow Tires quick questions (Noob)

Hi everyone, first post here Wink

I check the forum (as much as I could) for winter tires, still, I have some questions for you all as I am still debating to either swap rubbers or go full set (Wheel and rubber).

1. Rubber swap only.
    I am not going to use the car a lot on the snow, just a week or 2 max per year, so going Rubber swap is more affordable. Yet I would like to know how I have to handle the TPMS sensor? Obviously the wheels will have to be rebalanced, but what about the TPMS sensor? Will changing the rubber only will be any problems with this?

2. The Full Set
    A. Will 19" be ok to replace my 20" and if so what are the recommended 19" size for tires?

B. Do I need TPMS on these wheels? If I do not fit any TPMS will there be any error on the dashboard? From what I understand it should indeed have a warning (https://topix.landrover.jlrext.com/topix/s...c7da/en_GB)

C. Either 19 or 20" new rubber and wheel with new TPMS, does any third party tire stores will be able to handle the TPMS thingy or I need to go to an LR dealer?

3. TPMS
    I have a hard time to figure out what is the part number of the TPMS for an LR5...
    A few google searches point to that very model https://www.roverparts.com/Parts/LR070840 but it is only showing LR4, not LR5.

Thank you for your help with this matter.

Cheers from Tokyo Japan!
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Welcome to the forum! The Discovery 5 seems like quite a large vehicle for Japan - do you get any opportunities to drive it off-road there?

Here are my thoughts:

1. Tire size. Check this site, you can compare sizes available in your area with the OEM size:

https://tiresize.com/calculator/

In the US there's a sticker inside the door that lists the available OEM tire sizes. If you buy new wheels, you'll want to buy the OEM 19" size if you swap wheels and tires. There's a convenience factor in being able to swap on your snows yourself only when you need to, especially if you're only going to be in winter conditions occasionally. That said, winter tires are better in all conditions if you are driving in temps that are regularly below 45 deg F / 7 deg C in winter - the compound maintains its flexibility at lower temps, whereas summer or all-seasons get hard at low temps. I am running Hankook I*Pike RW11 tires in 275/55-20 on mine. I would have preferred Nokians but they sell out so fast here, and Bridgestones are overpriced, in my opinion. That said, the Hankooks are good enough, but far from the best winter tire I've ever owned.

2. TPMS. If you buy new wheels you absolutely will need TPMS or you will get a continuous warning at every startup that you will have to dismiss. In the US at least, any tire seller can install them, and they all work with the vehicle's receivers as they're an international standard, I believe. I imagine like everywhere, your LR dealer will charge a premium if you have them do it. However, my local dealer will swap wheels and tires for free in fall/spring and store your spare set for you if you buy the tires from them. Generally when you swap rubber only, all they replace is the valve core, not the full TPMS transmitter on the rim, which should last for several years.

3. Wheel size. Unless you already have a set of 19" wheels that you know will fit, there is little benefit to handling from going to 19" just for winter tires. If you will be driving in deep snow on unplowed roads, then a 19" tire will allow you to run lower pressures for extra traction, but these days tire compounds and tread designs are so good it's really not necessary to air down unless you're truly stuck. And the D5's Grass/Gravel/Snow program plus Low Traction Launch is superb.

Best of luck - post pictures of your D5 in your magnificent country when you get a chance!
  • GonzagueGB
    Japan 

Thanks for your reply

The first link you gave me offers "255/65R18" as a viable option (they do not list 19"), will need to investigate.

As for the tires, I have been quoted (Rims + Wheel) something around 2300 USD for a set of 20" and fitted with Blizzak Tires, I need to check out what will be the cost of the TPMS there.

Now, we do not have a lot of snow in Tokyo, only a day or two, but where I usually got around at least a good 30cm of snow/night (11 Inch) so better be safe than sorry!

I do not have a picture of the D5, but here you are one of my old P38 4.6 HSE during a slow snow day (not even kidding) and the LR4 we used to own. Oh and yep some streets are small, but you have to learn to drive with the side mirrors folded in that case Wink.

• JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

Just to add another variable in to the mix, have you considered using an all-season tyre?

I use the same tyres all year. I have General Grabber AT3 in the standard size 255/55R20. They have the 3 Peak Snowflake Winter rating, so I use them as winter tyres but I also go off-road so I use them for that in the summer as well. They will never be as good on ice as a nordic winter tyre and a summer tyre would be better on hot dry tarmac but in typical UK variable conditions, they're a good compromise for 99% of the time.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • GonzagueGB
    Japan 

Thanks JonM for your input.

Japanese weather is quite different from the UK and I am scared that the torching hot summer and pavement will not be a suitable environment for these tires. Also, they are almost impossible to find here since the demand is not only low but also due to the fact that they are not made by a Japanese company (Protectionism is king here).

And sadly, the only "action" my car will see is me plowing into the snow on roads that are usually closed to the public during winter. We used to have near Tokyo a 4x4 park but they went bankrupt Sad
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

I've done similar to JonM except 275 x 20 AT3. I have the original Pirelli road tyres and 19" rims in the garage as spares intending to swap over in summer but the AT3's perform really well so left them on. I also have a full set (5) of new 20" road tyres which came off the 20" rims. So really should be able to cover all weather eventualities.

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum