Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Adaptive Dynamics vs. Passive

My own D5 has the adaptive dynamics option and has always seemed an improvement over the passive demonstrators that I had borrowed.

Thanks to my car spending Xmas and New Year in the dealer, I’ve had the opportunity to spend almost two weeks in a LR assist SD6 HSE Luxury without adaptive suspension. Thought it might be useful to jot down some thoughts for anyone considering ticking the box on a new order. Noting also that the loaner is on 22s versus my car on 21s. Both SDV6 HSE Lux.

Around town - most of my driving has been urban/semi-urban, often below 30mph. Ride quality seems identical, i.e. adaptive loses/gains you nothing in low speed comfort, as expected.

Roundabouts - largely similar, but the passive car loses its composure earlier. Easily tested on quiet and well known (to me) roundabouts. Transition from right turning to left turning on exit is better in the adaptive car, better body control. In all normal driving this is marginal, but this tells me that the adaptive car will cope better with a change of direction in case of emergency or misjudgement.

Motorways. Zero difference I think, possibly the adaptive car is slightly more stable in fast sweeping, tight (for motorways) bends. No real advantage in my use.

Country A/B roads - for me, this was the biggest difference. On my commute this morning, the passive car felt much less controlled over undulating surfaces. More ‘nodding’ around and a feeling of the body being less tied down/mass less under control. Clear advantage to the adaptive car.

My humble opinion - adaptive dynamics is one of the must tick boxes. Adds to passenger and driver comfort (less body movement in the circumstances above). No loss of comfort anywhere. Adds to driver enjoyment on country roads. A bargain at £800.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Interesting comparison and summary. Food for thought when we spec up next car Thumbs Up

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Labbix

But in most places on this globe not available, a shame than!
    But big thanks for the comparison! If I could spec it, would defend do so.
  • Hc76
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Corris Grey

Thanks for that, very useful. A bit like adaptive headlights (which I have) it is difficult to know how much different it is to the standard option without driving both.

I would have opted for adaptive dynamics but I needed a vehicle in a hurry so had to have a stock vehicle without it. I am very pleased with the vehicle but on the windy B-roads around here it does have quite a bit of roll and I often wonder how much difference the adaptive dynamics would make.

Maybe next time!
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

I found tyre size makes quite a bit of difference, i.e. 19 and 20 inch wheels make the ride more prone to body roll due to the extra rubber on the tyre flexing, as opposed to 21 and 22 wheels, with a lesser sidewall, less flex and less roll.

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum