Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

2.0 SD4 or 3.0 SDV6

I’ve now done almost 900 miles in a LR Assist HSE Luxury SD4 in the past fortnight, so thought it worth posting up my thoughts on how it compares with my own 3.0 SDV6.

These are relative to my own expectation and usage, others may prefer the 2.0. I’m more firmly in the SDV6 camp than I was before driving the 2.0.

First, performance. No problems with the SD4 there, I’ve actually been pleasantly surprised that it’s in no way slow and can go with the flow.

Second, the less good stuff. Flexibility is poor, there’s nothing below perhaps 1400rpm, meaning a delay each time you accelerate. The hesitation pulling from standstill or from a roll up to a roundabout/junction is very noticeable. That major flat spot means there is a pause and count to two each time. It also results in far more gear changes versus the SDV6. Where that engine will just muscle along to a small throttle input (eg on a motorway incline asking for a few more mph), the SD4 will drop a gear or two.

Next up refinement- it’s to be expected and harsh to judge it against the peachy SDV6, but the courseness from 2k rpm is quite intrusive as is the surging vibration through the seat at 750rpm idle.

All in all, I find that the 2.0 has a completely different character to the 3.0. The oasis of calm, combined with a bit of muscle when needed, that the 3.0 has is gone in the 2.0. I feel that LR are asking too much of a blown four in a car of this weight.

Almost an afterthought, economy. The SD4 is less economical in my use. Of those 900 miles, 800 are probably below 70mph on the motorway and on A/B roads. The mpg reading in the car is 38.2 over the full 900 miles. My own car usually reads 40/41/42 in this usage. The computers over read of course.

I wouldn’t buy a 2.0 and would prefer a 3.0 SE to a 2.0 HSE Lux. It was a 3.0 SE that convinced me to buy a D5, I was offered a 2.0 HSE Lux as an alternative for my 48 hour test drive and I’m glad I chose the lower spec car.

Again, just my thoughts for my driving style in my usage. No wish to offend anyone whose tastes and priorities are different.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

I have only ever driven the 3Ltr D5 as loans cars, and brought the 2Ltr HSE after having V6 D3's and D4's, so I can agree with quite a few of your comments, as the V6 was a lovely silky motor with plenty of grunt even in 256BHP format (so not even the 306BHP version - although one loaner I had was a 306bhp version - very nice indeed). I agree it is a "harsher" engine and that is felt more at low revs but once up and going is surprisingly quick.

I cant compare D5 to D5 economy, only from what I used to get from the 3Ltr D4, and here the 2Ltr is way better in the main, with the D5 in mid 30's knocking around town vs low 20's in the D4, and on a steady run have seen the lie-o-meter hit 50mpg in the D5. I dont think the D4 even had 50mpg in its display range Laughing and even sitting mid 70's on the motorway the D5 will be in the low 40's vs the D4 ar 28-29, so for me much more economical. The one place were they are both the same is towing the 'van, and here I have seen 18-19 mpg in both, but as thats only a few times a year I dont worry about it.

The 2Ltr is a different car to drive from the 3Ltr, and I agree you have to be a bit more "aggresive" in your driving style to shift it of the mark at junctions/etc, something my missus still hasnt mastered Whistle and if you dont it can give you the odd scary moment.

I dont get any intrusive vibration apart from one spot, and I think this is down to the gearbox and its change down points, as unlike what you describe I dont think mine changes down early enough, so 50mph is 1100rpm in 8th gear, whereas I think 7th gear feels more "comfortable" for sitting at 50.

Heyho - to me its still a great place to cover a lot of miles even compared with my previous Discoveries all of which were the best cars I have had (at the time).

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • simonej

The SD4 was my first experience of a D5 and the main reason why I initially hated the new Disco. It just doesn’t suit the car, from the very evident vibration at idle to the delay between pressing the accelerator and it actually responding.

I’ve actually got both an SD4 and an Si4 sat on the driveway at the moment and it’s amazing how different they feel when driving. Sure, my wife wouldn’t have a clue, but anyone with an interest in cars would notice the throttle response, smoothness and, strangely, the sharper steering on the Si4. It’s my Dad’s SD4 and even he commented on how much smoother mine is when he first had a ride in it.

The 3.0 diesel is definitely the one to have but the 2.0 petrol, if you can stomach the appalling fuel economy, is a close runner-up (now there’s no V6 petrol).
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

I believe the 2020-2021 model year will introduce the same mild hybrid I6 that's in the RRS HST and soon the Defender P400?
  • Labbix

Yes, I believe and was told so by HQ as well. But do hope the Ingenium i6 diesel would make its appearance the same time in the D5... time will tell Wink
  • Seaby
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Loire Blue

From spending time in a 3.0 loan car vs. our 2.0 the thing I noticed most is the 2.0 handles much better. Balance feels better especially under braking. LR experience guy said 2.0 better off road as the weight at the front is less to pull it down slopes / banks etc
  • maybebaby
    United Kingdom 

Says the man with a 2.0 Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
  • Labbix

That’s one reason I’m curious to see the I6 diesel, as it will most probably be a lighter one. Would be ‘best of both worlds’ than!
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Some interesting points throughout.

On the brakes, I was thinking today how they seem less reassuringly powerful - wondered if the 2.0 had smaller discs?

On the handling- I feel the 2.0 spoils it, that yawning pause before the engine responds to a press of the throttle means I’ve endured powerless understeering through the majority of the corner before I get some power to restore stability.

On the petrol engine, I bet that is indeed a big improvement in refinement.

Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 

You can specify larger discs (the same as the 3Ltr) for the 2Ltr, mine has them (350mm)

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Those that have 2lts will like them, those with 3lts will like them. Just be happy that everyone likes what they have without denigrating each other’s vehicles.
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Absolutely, if you want to play that game then the Disc04 sub forum is the place for that Whistle
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Dave, I don’t feel that it is about denigrating others’ vehicles. In the OP I stated that it was all relevant to my usage, expectations and priorities and that others would have different ones. Pretty much the thread has been in that spirit, of a debate over the merits of each for our own tastes.

I’d take a 3.0 SE over a 2.0 HSE Luxury. Others would do the reverse.

What is good is that LR give us both options and many more. The Defender is much trickier, where the only six cylinder choice is the petrol MHEV and then restricted to the loaded X trim.

• al cope
    United Kingdom 

same here - I dont have an issue with folks opinion (and certainly not with folks that have genuinely tried differing flavours of D5 Thumbs Up ). After 13 years with V6 Disco's I was a little apprensive about going for the 2Ltr in my D5, but for what I use it for, including towing 1800kg of T/A caravan, its been pleasantly good, to the extent that I would say you dont "need" the V6 for anything you want to use the D5 for, the 2Ltr will do the job, but OK the 3Ltr would do it slightly better. We all makes our own chioce Thumbs Up Bow down Very Happy

Al

• Labbix

I expect the ingenium 3 liter diesel from October onwards as the Ford contract for the supply of engines is until September this year, than it would be even more interesting to compare the 2 and 3 liter engines Wink
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum