Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• globalste
    United Kingdom 

Thanks labbix, before they re-sealed the windscreen there was definitely a rubber seal, but now there isn't.

Obviously, it could be that the old rubber seal was rubbish and this is the new seal which I cannot see. A photo would be very helpful!

2017 HSE Dynamic
  • Labbix

Can’t add the pics, error... if you pm me your email, I’ll do it that way
  • Labbix

• Labbix

Pics needed a bit of time to get through apparently... anyway that’s how it looks with my MY18
  • globalste
    United Kingdom 

Thanks Labbix

Yeh there is no rubber "gulley" like on yours that butts up against the roof, but there was before the warranty repair. Looks like I will have to take it back in at some point.

2017 HSE Dynamic
  • mb1
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Si6 First Edition Farallon Black

For those that have replaced...?

I bought a used First Edition last week from CarMax, took it to dealership for full service and brakes, next morning came out to a wet center console from the dreaded seal leak. Dealer says part needs to come from UK but haven't received a timeline as to when. Anyone had any luck ordering the heated, no HUD windscreen in the last few weeks? Also, can anyone give guidance on other problems that they have had result from this leak that I should be aware of? The dealership is waiting for a new windscreen to take the car apart so any info for what to look for would be great.
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

They can take it out and reseal which is what they usually do, however they can break so that is why they have a replacement screen on standby.

Mine was taken out and put back and no problem with leaks afterwards.

Last edited by jimbg on 14th Feb 2020 6:51 pm. Edited 1 time in total
  • Blackfly
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

I had mine replaced last year (stone chip) I do not recall waiting that long, the work was done at a scheduled service where they also did the water leak check as a recall.

no problems since.

F50, Fourtack, LR3 and now..............D5 HSE TDV6
  • B McP
    Scotland 
    2020 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

Mine went at the 2 year point (just when I thought all my `troubles' were over) - took it in to the local dealer in Aberdeen, had a loan car (RRS) provided within 30 minutes. New windscreen and carpets replaced within 4 days - no issues since.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Re: For those that have replaced...?

mb1 wrote:
    I bought a used First Edition last week from CarMax, took it to dealership for full service and brakes, next morning came out to a wet center console from the dreaded seal leak. Dealer says part needs to come from UK but haven't received a timeline as to when. Anyone had any luck ordering the heated, no HUD windscreen in the last few weeks? Also, can anyone give guidance on other problems that they have had result from this leak that I should be aware of? The dealership is waiting for a new windscreen to take the car apart so any info for what to look for would be great.

When I had mine this summer it took about a week to get the windscreen in, but the dealer handled it as a warranty repair and ordered it from Land Rover, local shops might have a shorter wait.
  • Jarse
    Australia 

globalste wrote:
    Thanks Labbix

Yeh there is no rubber "gulley" like on yours that butts up against the roof, but there was before the warranty repair. Looks like I will have to take it back in at some point.

The rubber lip on the trims is an important part of the whole setup. It's primarily there to minimise wind noise, and exposure of the underlying urethane sealant to UV (which causes it to deteriorate). Its secondary function is for aesthetics.

The rubber lip is bonded to the plastic. I suspect the installer may have cut the rubber free so as to access the retaining clips.

I'd be insisting on the trims being rectified... Thumbs Up

Nine out of five pilots are lysdexic.
  • winmar
    Germany 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

Was welcomed with water leaking from the upper front screen on the passenger area (LH drive) this Monday. Puddle of water in the cup holder in the central console. I’ll spare you the video on this, it hurts as a Land Rover passionate.

Reminded me of the Discovery 1 water leakage in the front screen area due to welding robot which appeared to become out of precision after an certain amount of welds processed. And on my Discovery 2 due to clogged drains for the front sunroof.

So one can see this as part of Discovery ownership.... but certainly not adhering to the brand values.

What gives me great comfort is the dedication and service level of my Land Rover dealer (Führmeister, Mainz, Germany). Family owned and great team. Who recognize (from sales representative to service manager) and treat you as a true client in sorting problems like these. Factory guarantee certainly important asset as well (or used car guarantee thereafter)

D5 HSE - Delivered! Smile & D3 HSE 60 Years Edition - preparing full tlc and MOT pass
    D2 Highlander - Gone but not forgotten
  • Phil
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Unfortunately I have the same water leak issue and despite 4 separate visits to the dealers over almost a 2 year period it has still not been resolved. It is now out of warranty and am not arguing with both LR and the dealer about the repair, and during this time the car is leaking in (I have also added a couple of photo's to illustrate the problem). I presume that this has the same or similar root cause to the problem that everyone else is talking about although I am struggling to understand why they can't resolve it!!

Disco 5 First Edition, Namib Orange,
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Have they not replaced the windscreen?
  • Phil
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

yes they have replaced the windscreen, replaced the internal door card and cleared a drainage channel blockage and it is still leaking!!

Disco 5 First Edition, Namib Orange,
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum