Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Ecosse
    United Kingdom 

Tow Bar options

There appear to be 3 tow bar options, the basic detachable tow bar, a multi height, and the electrically deployable.
    Remembering the issues with the D3/D4 detachable tow bar and the recalls resulting in a fixed multi height being recommended for frequent or heavy-use, I assume the basic detachable is still a "no-no" if used for anything other than light use?
    Does anyone know if the multi-height has the 2 supporting struts that are fitted in the D4?, and how "heavy-duty" is the electrically deployable option as it does not look as if it has any extra bracing buit in?
    Thanks.
  • Max2510
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

I fitted a tow-trust fixed multi height, which is probably much like the LR fixed multi height, its a totally different thing to the D3/4, it replaces the rear crossmember altogether, whereas the D3/4 still used the removable socket but just braced it with the stays.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

I have the deployable, solely because it was already on the car when I bought it.

The deployable and multi height are rated with a nose weight of 350kg the detachable is rated to 195kg.

Regardless of towbar the D5 is rated to tow 3500kg (except 2.0 Diesel 180ps which is restricted to 3,000 kg, but is not available in the UK)

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

As Max2510 says, the fixed multiheight does not have the 2 struts that the D4 has, but the whole rear bumper reinforcement bar is replaced with an integral one which includes the fixed towbar.

I asked for our original bar back, and its weighs an absolute ton.

Not a fan of the the deployable, as even though it looks neater, the one on the loaner kept sticking half way or not deploying. Apparently you have to replace the whole mechanism if it fails, not to mention the rust issues.

The detachable one my mate had on his D3 was always rattling and clunking.

Always had the fixed towbar on the cars, as it seems far more robust and acts as a bit of a buffer in the car parks, not to mention that the height can be adjusted according to the trailer or caravan thats being towed Thumbs Up

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

mordred1973 wrote:
    I have the deployable, solely because it was already on the car when I bought it.

The deployable and multi height are rated with a nose weight of 350kg the detachable is rated to 195kg.

Regardless of towbar the D5 is rated to tow 3500kg (except 2.0 Diesel 180ps which is restricted to 3,000 kg, but is not available in the UK)

Just be very careful if you go up in nose weight with the deployable bar that you do not exceed the maximum weight on the rear axle.
    The detachable is a good bar with totally diffrent and much better fit than the D3/4

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

Road Runner 2017 wrote:
    As Max2510 says, the fixed multiheight does not have the 2 struts that the D4 has, but the whole rear bumper reinforcement bar is replaced with an integral one which includes the fixed towbar.

I asked for our original bar back, and its weighs an absolute ton.

Not a fan of the the deployable, as even though it looks neater, the one on the loaner kept sticking half way or not deploying. Apparently you have to replace the whole mechanism if it fails, not to mention the rust issues.

The detachable one my mate had on his D3 was always rattling and clunking.

Always had the fixed towbar on the cars, as it seems far more robust and acts as a bit of a buffer in the car parks, not to mention that the height can be adjusted according to the trailer or caravan thats being towed Thumbs Up

have to agree, when I got it I had a 50% hit ratio of the bar locking, the more its been used the more reliable its got, and it definitely locks more consistently if the engine is running rather than just opening the tailgate and pressing the button.

I leave the towball uncovered and there's a tiny amount of surface corrosion, but not really much more than there was on my Volvo and that had a removable that was stowed under the boot floor. that still got surface rust over it over the winter.

would I pay for a deployable on a used car, never, over £2k????

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

+1 on the cost Thumbs Up
    Double the price of the fixed Shocked
    Get a brand new trailer for that price Very Happy

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

question is, why is it factory ordered theres only a couple hundred difference, retrofit is a fortune....

• bammmy

I have the detachable tow bar, granted it is only used for light towing or bike racks and have had absolutely no problem, although I never remove from the car. A strange thing happened very recently when I fitted the bike rack to the car, the advised road speed limits changed eg from 70mph on a motorway to 60mph as it believed I was towing a trailer or caravan, very clever.
    As regarding the cost mine was £750 installed whilst being built at Solihull which incidentally went to see my car actually being built👍
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

i noticed when driving through france last year, the car automatically picked up the reduced towing speed limits on the downhills, which I thought was rather clever of it...

• RDR
    United Kingdom 

mordred1973 wrote:
    question is, why is it factory ordered theres only a couple hundred difference, retrofit is a fortune....

My dealer told me when looking at an ex demonstration D5 without tow bar it costs a fortune because fitting the deployable means stripping down the rear of the car. the cost of parts between the two is very similar. I guess with factory orders its no different as its fitted as the cars built.

MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten, MY12 HSE - Gone, MY16 HSE Luxury - Gone, D5 MY20 D5 HSE - Gone
    MY23 Range Rover PHEV
  • AndrewS
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Silicon Silver

I tow a lot at max weight. Had several discoveries 3/4/5 always with the detachable tow bar. Only ever had an issue with the 1st D3 and that hitch got replaced under warranty.
  • Qwertyd5x
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

I also tow a lot of max weight, in winter, using detachable bar. The one on my D4 was forcibly replaced by LR, for a fixed, during a service. That was the first I knew of any issue. But I’m back using a detachable on the D5. I’m seen/read nothing to suggest it cannot handle full towing duties. My main reason for choosing the detachable is the number of people I know that have had issues with the auto deploy version.
  • LeePe
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

RDR wrote:
    mordred1973 wrote:

My dealer told me when looking at an ex demonstration D5 without tow bar it costs a fortune because fitting the deployable means stripping down the rear of the car. the cost of parts between the two is very similar. I guess with factory orders its no different as its fitted as the cars built.

Hi, I’m new on here so excuse me if I’m posting in the wrong place.
    I have a 17 disco 5 lux with dynamic packs but has no towbar. Would like to retro fit the deployable towbar but finding that it’s difficult to retro fit. Why is that?
    If I sourced a second hand towbar (loads cheap on eBay), I’m guessing you need a boot interior seat switch and ecu? Will it need programming to activate the towing function by a dealer??
    Any info would be great......
    Thanks
    Lee
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Far easier and cheaper option is the fixed one or the detachable one imo.

Don't even need to change the ccf files for the fixed, I was told by the dealer.

Can probably fit the fixed one at home by yourself, as long as you have the correct tools Thumbs Up

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum