Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Quasar
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Fuji White

Rear underfloor storage

Sorry if this is a bit of a stupid question or has been answered before (did do a search).

What is meant to be under the flap in the rear floor behind the third row of seats?

On my late 18HSE (LR “ex-management”), there is nothing apart from the winch point for the spare. No liner, no polystyrene, no tow eye and no tools. The tools are on the RHS of the rear compartment.

The reason I ask is that I had MY20 out as a courtesy car that had a lump of shaped polystyrene with nothing in it under the floor.
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Dunno, I’ve got a removable tow ball and bits contained in a polystyrene tray in mine. The tray etc. Came as part of the tow kit.

• Blackfly
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

My 2017 HSE has a third row and yes there is a little flap. It does have a polystyrene insert and contained the little plastic diesel filler funnel, and that is it. Mine has enough space to store a tow strap and a few other sundries. The jack and wheel brace are all stored as you say in a compartment on the rear right hand side..

You mentioned a towing eye,. My vehicle has permenant tow eyes front and rear as show here. Not sure if there is a separate stew in eye (we'll not in North America anyway)..

I will get a picture of the rear storage later today if I remember

Last edited by Blackfly on 3rd Mar 2020 6:42 pm. Edited 2 times in total

F50, Fourtack, LR3 and now..............D5 HSE TDV6
  • Quasar
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Fuji White

Thank you for the rapid response.

The insert I saw in the courtesy car was an empty version of that in Dangerdave’s photo. Probably emptied by the garage.

My D5 has the electrically deployed tow. A towing eye is stuffed in with the tools (apparently attaches to the crossmember behind the rear bumper panel if needed). I will leave that to LR Assist.
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

I don’t think your tray should have anything else to be honest.

The two red things are keys for the tow ball lock, then you have the tow ball, I’ve got a black plastic tow ball cap in there along with the wheel nut security key, the plastic funnel and a tow ball linen bag that SWMBO got with her last Disco Sport tow bar and that’s it I think.
  • Labbix

Same as dangerDave, but I took all out (even the foam) and fitted the removable tow bar permanently, saved me a lot of trouble as a new Mercedes crashed in to it and was badly damaged. Had my bumper removed and nothing wrong with the D5 except some scratches on the light grey part of the bumper, but only this piece was already more than 1000€ to replace... (for insurance luckily)
  • Ronbo
    United States 
    2017 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

What’s with these Mercedes?

I wish my tow ball was inserted as I too had a new Mercedes bump me in stop and go traffic.
    The humongous star left 3 depressions in the tailgate. Estimate was written up for $2K but I’ll get it properly repaired for much less.
    The tow ball would’ve left a memorable puncture in the Mercedes grill.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

yep, 2017 HSE with deployable towbar. Just have the small empty hard plastic lined cubby.. I just about manage to get the straps for the bike rack and spare number plate into the cubby. I do miss the greater under floor storage of my old XC60. (had kites, warning triangle and other junk under there lol)

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

its actually quite a handy space - I have towstraps, tyre compressor, OBD reader, jump leads all under there.

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

jeez how you get all of that into the tiny space? Impressed.....

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Labbix

Maybe a 5 seater car? Or a very small compressor I guess... mine would never fit in that tiny space, but does between the headrests of the third row when folded down, which means it’s not too big either.
    But I’m missing space for my towing straps, shackles, off road tire repair kit, ... now only have some leather gloves, basic tools and jumper cables that fit in!
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

no AL is in the UK, you cannot buy a 5 seater in the UK.....

• al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

Here is a pic. Also there is extending wheel brace in the bag.

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

impressed.....

• Labbix

+1 I actually went to my car again to have a look, but my jumper cables alone take half of the place!
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum