Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• whited3

USB, reverse cam, TFT and other dramas

Hi all.

So my silly dramas continue with the reverse camera, drivers TFT and other nuisances. I've had the car (MY18 SD4 HSE) to the dealer 3 times now and all they do is update it with little or no appreciable improvement.

See attached pics and video. Note the gear selected.

I use a Lexar 32GB USB-3 stick for music that had some 2600 MP3 files on it. The issues are worst at start up and seldom (but sometimes do) occur once the car's been running for say 5 minutes. If I remove the USB and use Android Auto (the same 2600 MP3's on the phone) the issues I've been having go from frequent (daily) to very rare. I ran this way for 4 days with next to no dramas.

I have a theory (not mine but mentioned in another context on this forum) that the car is prioritising the indexing of the USB instead of its core functions of reverse camera and drivers TFT. No USB plugged in, no problems.

I've tested the Lexar USB-3 stick thinking that its read speed might be the issue but it tests as fast. See attached. I've tried a 16GB Sony USB-2 stick full of MP3s and encounter that same problems. Both sticks are FAT32 and less than the 128GB max stated in the online D5 manual.

If I put say 1GB of MP3s on the stick the car seems to behave itself although I have not done a lot of testing on this.

Thoughts anyone?

• Andeh13
    United Kingdom 

2600 MP3s!? Wowee, thats quite the music collection - and I imagine on the very limits of what JLR test cars to perform to. Very few people will have a setup like that, so you might be in an unfortunate use case.

Sounds like between the car trying to index them all, whilst forcible obeying the commands of the reverse camera, it is getting stuck on something.

Have you tried starting the car, leaving it to 'settle' for several minutes (ie fully boot up), then plug your USB stick in - leaving it for an hour or so to ensure it is fully index'd....then trying it out again?

I also know from previous tech experience not all USB sticks are 'the same' when it comes to the manufacturer, speed ratings, sizes etc. Try a few more out?
  • whited3

Thanks mate.

2600 MP3s on a 32GB stick is not so many when LR says the size limit is 128GB, which equates to 1000 MP3s?

Yes, if I let the car sit there after start up for some minutes things will work but I still get random TFT blackouts, system reboots and the rev camera not working as I drive around. No rhyme or reason to when they happen.

I've tried 3 different brands and size of USB, all with similar results. I tested them all to make sure they worked as required.
  • Labbix

It must be a software issue, I have more than 4000 mp3’s on 1 usb and on second usb 64gb of movies. All works fine, and since update to 19B almost immediately.
    Sometimes, like once a month at max the system doesn’t start up as it should or gets stuck and restarts by itself or is back on track if car totally shut down (but this happened twice in a year only). And to be fair to JLR, even my German cars do this. But these have ACP, where mine hasn’t as in the wrong ‘market’.
    Ask the dealer for a complete system erase and new software setup.
  • whited3

Will do Labbix. Thanks for your reply.
  • Circo20pro
    Romania 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

Hi, mine is make me crazy, Every time I start the engine the USB start all over again from the first song. And second if it is playing from a folder of 10 songs, at the last one is not passing to the next folder, start again from the first song on the same folder. I was with this problem to our dealer and they said that is not a real problem and that's it, maybe the producer didn't think to this and probably with a future up-date will solve it. I mention that I have a D5 produced in Slovakia in December 2019, so it is 2020 model.
  • Labbix

WoW, what a bad and customer unfriendly dealer you must have. This is absolutely not normal and seems a software error to me. Demand to have the software re-uploaded as it should work without flaws now.
  • Labbix

And get in in another D5 at the dealer and try there with your usb to see what it does and show the dealer the difference.
  • Circo20pro
    Romania 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

Hi, thank you for the fast reply. I have this USB made for my old D4 and there works fine without any problem. I put the same USB in 2 different D5 and DS and one Jaguar. In all it make the same. I made a new USB with 2 folders and in each with 4 songs and was the same If I chose a folder when it play all the songs from it is not moving to the next folder start playing all over again from the same folder. It is frustrating that the D4 form 2012 was ok with more features DVD player HDD, plus USB and the D5 MY20 to have only USB and this to not work well.

Plus the dealer told me that will have in standard the Apple carplay, wifi hotspot, comfort controller that I didn't have any of these.

They told me the if I want and it is important for me to go to speak to the selling team boss and ask a compensation.
  • Labbix

I rejected my car on not having apple CarPlay and WiFi hotspot as described when I ordered the vehicle. They, later, said it was not allowed in this market (Balkan area). It took me almost 2 years and just before a court case they agreed to take the car back...
  • whited3

I gave up trying to use the USB stick given the continual dramas it caused. Now have my music on the phone and use Android Auto.
  • whited3

Hi all.

Anyone got anything to add this this thread? My problems have not resolved themselves so I'm using Android Auto which has a markedly decrease is audio quality compare to USB.

Cheers,

Mark
  • whited3

I should have said above.................I've just got the D5 back after 3 months in the shop for a new engine, which is a long sad story which I won't bore you with.

But...... part of the process was getting all the updates done. Foolishly I thought (hoped) that my USB issues would then be fixed. No such luck.

This week I've tried a 32GB USB with 1000 songs on it. No folders. Used MediaMonkey to clean up the files names, locations and tags.

Plugged it in this morning and immediately lost the reverse camera. The available devices screen blinked back at me for a good 15 minutes. Infotainment system unusable. It finally got itself sorted and I could use the USB but could not re-select the radio or phone. Unplugged the USB and after another 10 minutes or so the infotainment went back to normal.

An AUD$140k car that will go anywhere as long as you don't want to play music.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum