Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• LeePe
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Thanks for the reply Thumbs Up Thumbs Up but the use of the towbar for me would very minimal so don’t want to see it at all when not in use and think fixed ones are visible.
    I work in a main dealer (non LR) so taking the time to do it with help available won’t be a problem or could do it at home if just labour intensive as not much else to do with this Covid 19 (I’m an ex tech from many many years ago too - so roughly know what I’m still doing Laughing )
    A detachable towbar could be an option but I think the dynamic pack on my vehicle makes a difference when looking into it, does that make a difference?
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Am not sure about the Dynamic Pack making a difference to what type of tow bar can and can't be used. We have the DP1 which is interior and exterior, and from memory all 3 options were available. Only thing that's different is the tow eye cover after installation.
    The fixed bar has a cut out for the tow eye cover and the deployable has a bulge in the rear cover after installation. Am not sure about the tow eye cover on the detachable though its possible you may just see the receiver from beneath the bumper?
    Am sure there is a video on YT about an aftermarket towbar install, plus you can access the instructions online.
    I know Russell who has an Orange FE has the detachable bar. Maybe he can also shed some light on this as we have posted before on the forum about the different tow bar types Thumbs Up

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • joness7
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 SE Santorini Black

I bought a second hand removable towbar and fitted it myself to my brand new D5 the day after I brought it home!!

The design of the D5 detachable is quite different to the old D3/D4 and looks like it shouldn't suffer the same problems.

Whilst I'm happy with the detachable towbar for carrying bikes, towing a small trailer etc, I WOULD NOT recommend fitting it yourself!! Absolute pig of a job that involves stripping half the rear of the car down. It helps if you have a buddy to pass you tools:

2019 D5 SdV6 SE Anniversary black/black
  • LeePe
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Thanks for the replies, big help.

When you say you would not recommend doing the deployable towbar yourself as the car needs a massive strip down, what’s involved, rear bumper off some interior trim I’m sure but how far does it go back? Can’t be third row seats out??? Is it a days work or couple of days?
    Also im guessing you will need extra wiring looms, switch for inside the car and ecu?

I did look on YT for videos but couldn’t find anything on the D5 with the deployable towbar....can you send me a link maybe?

Thanks for the advice again, appreciate it Thumbs Up
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 
  • joness7
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 SE Santorini Black

Steps 2 and 3 say refer to manual for steps to remove bumper and rear armature.

The rear armature in particular is tricky because you need to remove both exhausts and quite a bit of the underbody heat shielding and protection to get to the chassis bolts under the car.

Nothing is technically difficult (I managed it!!) but certainly not easy lying under the car on the drive. Probably easier if you have access to a lift. Exhaust rubbers I found the hardest bit to get on/off.

2019 D5 SdV6 SE Anniversary black/black
  • Dangerdave
    United Kingdom 

Main dealer changed me £700 odd for all parts incl. electrics and fitting.
  • Flat Earther
    United Kingdom 

Be careful with the deployable tow bar; it’s rated at only a 1 tonne towing weight for “off road use”, without defining what “off road” actually is. (Check your car’s manual).

So, if you’re planning on towing a large caravan across a campsite, you might be on your own if it fails, can’t imagine why anyone would ever accept a safety compromise on something like a tow bar.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

Interesting, my 2017 handbook doesn't restrict it, just says deployable 3500kg.

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • BMC1N

2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

Retro Fit Towbar

Hi, I’m new on here so excuse me if I’m posting in the wrong place.
    I have a 17 disco 5 lux with dynamic packs but has no towbar. Would like to retro fit the deployable towbar but finding that it’s difficult to retro fit. Why is that?
    If I sourced a second hand towbar (loads cheap on eBay), I’m guessing you need a boot interior seat switch and ecu? Will it need programming to activate the towing function by a dealer??
    Any info would be great......
    Thanks

Hi, has anyone here actually went ahead and had a towbar retro fitted to their Disco V? Looking to find out if its worth the hassle, and rough costs, downsides etc?

I'm thinking of adding a detachable towbar if possible.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

Having read previous comments, I would say detachable (assuming you want it to be hidden when not in use) since deployable costs a fortune to retro fit.

Loads of people have either done it or had it done, need to replace the trim in the rear bumper for both detachable and deployable since it "hides" behind that trim

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum