Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• nebc100
    Luxembourg 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Namib Orange

Winch

Well, after MUCH research, soul searching etc, i have finally bitten the bullet, and have ordered everything for a front discrete winch.

I ordered a Runva 13XP Premium for a winch. It gets REALLY good reviews in AU, and costs half what a warn costs.

After MUCH deliberation and research, i have just ordered the Wildbear winch tray.

I found 3 other manufacturers, but the wildbear came out cheaper and also offers a second battery tray, so in the end i went with the wildbear.

Not sure when it will arrive but i am thoroughly looking forward to getting it all and then getting it installed.

I will try to post pics when all parts arrive, and will also try to post pics of installation process.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Can't wait to see the progress!
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 

Parts now all here.

Will take photos later.

They look really nicelt made, but NO INSTRUCTIONS on how to fit them. Crying or Very sad

Things will sadly be on hold now, as I not permitted (by law here in Luxembourg) to fit this myseld, and will now have to wait until the lock down is lifted to make an appointment with a garage to get it fitted.

If they will let me, i will document the installation.
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 

Another 10 days and the winch will be installed.

I will document the installation.
  • GLYNNE
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Corris Grey

Looking forward to it. Thumbs Up
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 

hello all.

I have just spent 2 very long and tiring days trying to get a discreet winch installed on my D5

I will add a load of pictures later today, but here are my thoughts on how things went....

I purchased the wildbear4x4 winch tray. The quality of the product is REALLY good!!

To start, you have to take off the front bumper. This is not so hard. The front wheel linings have to come out, and then you have to remove the front grill, and then the bumper can come off. Go careful to disconnect the front light washers, the camera and parking sensors.

Next, you have to take out the two headlights.

You can now see the front crash bar with the radar for the ACC (if you have it)

Next you have to remove the crashbar, front plastic shrouds etc.

You should not be able to remove (from above where the lights were) the 4 bolts that hold part of the front crash bar on.

You are now ready to start installing the tray.

The installation of the tray was very easy!! All the bolt holes lined up perfectly. If was a bit like a heavy puzzle to work out what went where, but not hard.

I the started fitting the winch. I chose a Runva XP13 Premium winch. It is rated for 13000lbs, and is offered with a 5 year warranty on all electrics, and lifetime warranty on mechanicals. It is also IP68, so almost completely waterproof!
    It came with everything needed for the installation, including a wireless remote.

The winch fitted very nicely, and have run the cables up the RHS of the vehicle behind the light to the seconard battery that I have installed in the place of where the second air box would be on new vehicles.

I am running a Traxide DBS to charge the batery, and the second battery is used JUST for the winch.

I didnt have too much space, so i installed the solonoid box on top of the winch, and that worked fine except that i cannot fit the cable for the winch. This isnt too much of a problem as I have the wireless controller that works really well!!

This is where the problems started.

When we tried to fit the ACC sensor, we discover that the sensor didnt fit on the mount. It seems that LR used a different sensor on the early 2017 vehicles. We consequently had to adapt the mount to work. It isnt too bad. The sensor is a little higher than it was, and you can now see it through the gaps in the bumper, but it isnt exactly noticeable, so I am not too worried about it.

When we tried to fit the bumper, we discovered that it wouldnt fit either because
    1. It hit on the winch mount.
    2. The place for the hawser was too high and so it would hit on the bumper.

To correct this, we TRIED
    1. Repositionning the spacers for the fairlead so that they were approx 2cm lower.
    2. We had to remove the 2 centre verticle collumns in the lower cutout to make space for the hawser.

It STILL wouldnt fit, so we tried to "shave" enough off the inside of the bumper to get it to fit, but we couldnt shave enough off without ruining the bumber.

In the end, we have managed to get the bumber on on both sides, but underneath the tabs that hild the bumper are approx 1cm too short. So we have created an extension for the tabs to enable the bumper to be properly held, and now it all fits fine.

I have spoken to Wildbear with some suggestions on how to improve the tray to make it fit, and they have said they they will send me a replacement tray. Really good service!!

I will upload pictures when I get home and can resize them for the site.
  • GLYNNE
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Corris Grey

Thanks for the update and look forward to the pictures Thumbs Up
  • mfain88
    United States 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Lux Namib Orange

Nice write up. Looking forward to seeing pictures. I'm across the pond, going to install Lucky8's kit for my D5.
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 

Sorry... not had the time to sort out the pictures, and because of the Corona situation, I have not been able to get over to the UK so that wildbear can sort out the problems that I have.

BUT... I contacted Lucky8, and was not actually all that impressed with their support. I was considering purchasing their product to avoid having to go over to the UK to Wildbear, but I was concerned that the problems that I currently have would be the same with their product, so I contacted them to get confirmation that their tray would work with my 2017 D5.

Here is my communications with them so that you can make your own opinion. I am not questioning their product or anything to do with their service etc. I simply what to make my experience know... I have nothing to do with Lucky8 or with Wildbear!!

Sent: 20 July 2020 22:52
    To: NC
    Subject: Re: discovery 5 winch mount

The D5 we use is an early 2017. You have to cut and notch the front support to fit your winch, but the sensors remain in place

On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 3:59 PM NC wrote:
    Hello,
    Thanks for the reply.
    You dont seem to understand... my D5 is unmodified.
    I would put it 100% back to stock before installing your part.
    The problem that i have is that for the wildbear tray, you remove the front support completely. This has caused a problem as the ACC sensor is mounted to the front support.
    Wildbear give a bracket to mount the ACC sensor on, but as the ACC sensor on my one seems to be a older model sensor (from the very first d5 vehicles off the manufacture line), i cannot fit it to the mounting plate.
    Your tray would probably be OK as you leave the front support in place, and just remove part of the front support.
    Have you had any experience with the very early d5s with this older model of ACC sensor?
    Manu thanks.
    Nicholas Cross
    Get Outlook for Android

Sent: Monday, July 20, 2020 9:03:55 PM
    To: NC>

Im sorry but we are not confident that our product will work since you have tried something else. We only know ours fits to stock, unmodified trucks.

On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 2:04 PM NC wrote:
    Hello,

I am contacting you because I have a EARLY 2017 D5. I want to install a winch, and I went with the Wildbear winch tray (I have used wildbear products on all my old LR vehicles), but this time I am actually very disappointed.

The tray doesn't fit correctly because I have a very early 2017 D5 with the front facing camera AND ACC.

The problem is that the ACC sensor is different on the very early D5s, and is much larger than on the 2017 D5s that came out just a few months later.

Since I have not managed to resolve the problem with Wildbear, I am seriously considering purchasing your part, but can you guarantee me that your part will work with NO problems, and that I will NOT have to cut the bumper on an EARLY 2017 D5.

If so... could you please give me a price quote to ship to Luxembourg.

Many thanks.

Nicholas Cross
    Sent: 10 February 2020 15:57:22
    To: NC

Thanks for the email.

We include instructions with the sale.

In short, the camera works fine.

For the ACC, yes, it will work, but you have to cut the core support to allow fitment of whatever winch you choose. Once you cut, you then re-apply the ACC box to the core support. We have done this many times without issues.

Thanks and let us know if you have any other questions

- Lucky 8

On Sun, Feb 9, 2020 at 10:17 AM NC wrote:
    Hello,

I would have been interested in purchasing a discreet winch mount for my Discovery 5.

My D5 has the front facing Camera, and also the adaptive cruise control.

Does your winch mount work with these two, or do they have to be moved.

Do you have mounting instructions for the tray?

Thanks.

NC

After this exchange, I even requested a price quote to ship to Luxembourg, and never got any further response from them.

Sadly, they have lost a client over this!!
  • mfain88
    United States 

I ordered the mount from Lucky8. 2 months later they sent me the mount.
    Its was wrong bolt hole center distance.
    2 months later I now have what seems to be the correct mount.
    I have not installed yet.

Here is my build thread in USA.
    https://landroverforums.com/forum/new-disc...ux-100045/

here are the core support pics you might find helpful.

• nebc100
    Luxembourg 

Mfain88... I have a small question regarding your installation.

In the pictures you show of the D5 with just the bumper removed, you seem to have the same radar sensor as me, but in the pictures you have out above, it is appears to be a different sensor.

Did you change it?

Did you take it off the mount?

Thanks for your feedback.

Nick
  • mfain88
    United States 

The pictures above are collected pictures from the internet...

Did you look at my build thread?

I relocated my radar array to the outside of my core support.

check out my build thread. Thumbs Up
    [/img]
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 

That is what I thought.

Why did you relocate it?

How did you mount it to the armature? Did you fabricate or purchase a new mount for the sensor?
  • mfain88
    United States 

It interfered with the space the winch needed.

Were you able to see my build thread?

• nebc100
    Luxembourg 

Sorry... Yes, I managed to see the rest of your post. I hadn't read far enough.

I have the WildBear tray, and am having similar issues.

I am trying to decide if I should go for the lucky8 tray or if I should simply wait until this Covid situation is over and WildBear will solve it for me.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum