Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Dohnut
    United Kingdom 

Facelift due when?

Was told by my local dealer today that the facelift isn’t due for at least a year as both FFRR and RRS are undergoing a change at present.

This struck me as slightly odd as I thought both had been updated recently with the new dual screen interior architecture and hybrid drivetrains.

Anyone else heard this/different?
  • Sw1gs
    Scotland 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Kaikoura Stone

My understanding is that there is a mid life refresh due for MY 21, due imminently. The FFRR is due a full new model this year for delivery next year and then the RRS is due in 21 for sale in 22. The Discovery is urgent for them, they need to reduce emissions across their fleet with a hybrid (even Mild hybrid) variant required In each of their model ranges by the end of this year under EU rules. Additionally, the D5 has been a poor seller overall (annual sales are still les than the last year of the D4 apparently), so they need to act fast.

What would your wish list be for the facelift?

Mine would be 3 litre P400 MHEV, upgraded infotainment to Pivi Pro and potentially (dare I say) a centralised rear number plate?
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

On my wish list would be a redesigned tail gate. I've banged my head a few times now on those nasty corners.

Steering and steering wheel - the D4 it felt like you were holding a steering wheel where in the D5 it is too thin. Steering is too light for my liking. I recently drove a new Disco Sport which felt more like my D4 did, thicker steering wheel and steering has more feel. The Disco Sport also has electric power assisted steering, so the hydraulic to electric power steering excuse doesn't wash with me.

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • Dohnut
    United Kingdom 

Wonder if my dealer is trying to steer me toward an early purchase then. Probably!

If MY21 then we should get official news fairly soon.

Personally I don’t mind the asymmetrical number plate and I don’t think they will move away from it either. It’s a signature design element for the model.

Top of my wish list would be updated infotainment and 22” wheels as a no cost option. In fact, no like for like price increase in general!

Re thin steering wheel... it’s the first thing I noticed when I had a test drive. Quite liked it though!
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

what would I change....smaller steering wheel with slightly heavier steering, more body control (stiffer damping, but the adaptive dynamics may provide that anyway)

new software for the infotainment, that wasn't glitchy, but retail the nice screen and the proper buttons below (the Disco Sport, Velar and Evoke 2nd screen and buttons are really horrible)

I have a Td6 and love it but would love Sd6 for a bit more umph, would I trust a new 6 cylinder diesel? not a chance having seen JLR's success with the Ingenium engines! Would I run a petrol hybrid? no the 4 cylinder in the RRS is horrible and as with most when not on electric the fuel economy is terrible.

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Labbix

I believe they know by now how to make a decent Ingenium (diesel), as comments on the new Defenders Ingenium are way better than with the earlier engines. but as this comes with higher power and torque for the D300, P400, I’m a little bit worried about the driveshaft not be fully capable of handling this. JLR had similar problems before with that in the D4,RR sport and FFRR if I remember well.
    If the new mirror comes to the D5, it might not be necessary, but I would like to be able to take the head rests out of the second row, which is not possible currently and isofix in the middle seat 2 row. Pivi pro or a decent working infotainment is a must. And some plastic bits are just not strong enough (broke the plastic glider protectors under front seats, ventilation plastic things in the roof and side when kids ‘touched’ it). An engine without ad blue would be a bonus as well. And the click and go system like in the new Defender to hold and charge iPads, as the current, no touch screen RSE, is really not good and outdated. Steering wheel indeed a bit too light, but that’s personal preference I suppose and the side of the tailgate bows a bit too much where indeed you have a rather big chance to meet in an unfriendly matter. if they keep the current engine, then the SD6 in all markets, where at the moment is mostly TD6. As well as availability of the adaptive suspension for all markets (although I would understand they can’t really calibrate it for African style dirt roads). And full connectivity for all markets as well, but problems with some countries legislation prevents this apparently. The seating position of second row isn’t actually brilliant either, seats a bit too short and knees a bit to upward. A bit more space for tools would be nice as well, as with the D4 there was still some space under the seats, which now is closed. A sunroof that could slide open a little bit more so you could actually get out from it. And I preferred the tailgate of the D4 to be able to reach the roof easily.

Wishlist is getting long Wink maybe I should consider a D4 again, although JLR tech told me D4 was/is a lot more expensive in maintenance on the long run and the D5 is still the better car...
  • Dohnut
    United Kingdom 

I second the clearsight rear view mirror - that looks a good bit of (useful) tech.

Kind of agree to 3rd isofix on the middle seat 2nd row but I'm not so sure there is enough width on the bench to fit 3 isofix boosters. I tried my 3 kids on 2nd row bench on non-isofix booster cushions this past weekend and was slighlty surpised how tight it was. Was only a brief expirement though and I had the largest seat in the middle as kids were mucking around.

Whilst I'm at it... make the interactive driver display standard fitment too.
  • Labbix

Correct, it’s very tight, but just doable, must admit I use a Volvo booster with back for the middle seat as it’s slimmer than other car seats. And still thinking to use an extender for the seatbelt locks, but apparently not legal everywhere...

Strange as even a Ford Galaxy and Q7, XC90 manage better and these cars can’t be much wider. Probably another seat setup...
  • Blackfly
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

I would like to see a solution to the front and rear recovery points access. And maybe an 18 inch wheel option?

F50, Fourtack, LR3 and now..............D5 HSE TDV6
  • Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

With regard to the clearsight mirror, I have driven a few cars and can't get on with it so have to revert to standard mirror, issue is that due to wearing varifocal lenses, I would normally look in the rear view mirror through the top part of the lense which is for distance, so because clearsight is actually a TV screen it's out of focus for me, whereas if you look in a mirror you focus on the image in the mirror rather than the mirror itself. It's ok for majority of drivers, it's just old doggies like me who need both distance and reading lenses.

24MY D300 Dynamic SE, Fuji White, Deployable Towbar, full size spare.
    Gone 20MY SDV6 Landmark, Indus Silver, Deployable Towbar, 360 Cameras
  • DangerMouseUK
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

If the spy shots are anything to go by there's no big bodywork redesign just the lights and a few tweaks here and there.

Presumably the new diesel engines will make a debut along with hybrid stuff.

Also looks like the project might be running late now due to the current pandemic.

Not sure on infotainment, would they go with the new Pivi Pro from the defender? Not sure !
  • Labbix

The back will indeed not be changed... confirmed today, for the other info I’m still waiting.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Useful info, thanks Labbix. Glad to hear it as my new one is due mid-July and it will be nice that it doesn't immediately date dramatically.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Labbix

• Labbix

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum