Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• eelpout
    United States 

DangerMouseUK wrote:
    Presumably the new diesel engines will make a debut along with hybrid stuff.

Also looks like the project might be running late now due to the current pandemic.

Not sure on infotainment, would they go with the new Pivi Pro from the defender? Not sure !

I'd like to see the D300 or D350 MHEVs and the Pivi Pro.
  • Labbix

It would be logic to have Pivi pro to be more in line with the rest and as in September the Ford contract ends, I see no reason not to have a D300 engine from then onwards (as D350 will be only for the FFRR it seems). Looking at the engine bay, I’m sure JLR had this engine already in mind from the start!
  • DangerMouseUK
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

It looks like they're not even going to change the outside at all barring a bumper/grille or so . . .

Inside the interior might get a new entertainment system but Im not even sure they're going to do that now due to budget constraints and the pandemic.

Engines? They definitely have to do some sort of MHEV/PHEV simply because of the fines from the EU so I'm almost sure due to necessity the engines will happen ASAP.

Lets see I guess! I'm going with an MY20 SD6 for now as I want to wait a year before I trust the D300/D350 engines . . .
  • Sw1gs
    Scotland 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Kaikoura Stone

Interesting to see that they launched the refreshed I-pace last week and changed the infotainment to Pivi pro, fingers crossed that they will roll this out across the entire JLR range for each facelift!
  • eelpout
    United States 

Sw1gs wrote:
    Interesting to see that they launched the refreshed I-pace last week and changed the infotainment to Pivi pro, fingers crossed that they will roll this out across the entire JLR range for each facelift!

Oh I missed that and I've been looking for an I-Pace new model year announcement. Found something about it here.

Apparently it's not just the in-dash unit that's changed, but the underlying infrastructure as well for the Pivi Pro system.
  • Stuff
    Tunisia 

Gerry McG interviewed in this week's Autocar acknowledges client dissatisfaction with D5 shape, including rear plate, rear quarter flank, stepped roofline. Suggests substantial mid-life change? Maybe he's going to double up with the ugly stick?
  • DangerMouseUK
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

I would be very surprised if that was the case fot the facelift.

Probably for the all new model due in a couple of years - the prototypes just don't look that different.

Unless they push the facelift back and make it much more substantive than what they've currently been working on?

Would make sense to go the latter route I guess, time will tell though!

Actually have read the article it does suggest the facelift will improve things significantly but then the all new model will redesign the whole car!

Wonder what improving things significantly means? Maybe the test mules have out of date bodywork on them then?

Interesting!!

MY20 SD6 HSE Luxury
  • Stuff
    Tunisia 

Yes. Perhaps two steps.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-car...rmey-award

Quote:
    We talk about the Discovery, the one current design he agrees hasn’t been as successful as the rest. The lack of a Defender in the model line-up didn’t help, he says, but soon admits that it’s more than that: “I think I allowed myself – and the team – to be too influenced by the established visual DNA of previous Discoverys, stuff like the offset numberplate and the stepped roof.

“We could have stopped and thought: hang on, how important are they? I still think the Discovery looks good on the biggest wheels, but some models do have a massive rear quarter. Our facelift, which is imminent, will make changes that improve it significantly…”

It’s clear, however, that McGovern thinks the next all-new Discovery, probably four years away, will provide an opportunity for real change. “We won’t alter its breadth of capability,” he says, “but we’ll make sure it’s perfectly differentiated from the Range Rover and that’ll optimise its appeal.”

• IndusD4
    Australia 

Quote:
    I still think the Discovery looks good on the biggest wheels, but some models do have a massive rear quarter. Our facelift, which is imminent, will make changes that improve it significantly…”

I think the changes will be visually only, something like making the rear light cluster seen from the side of the car larger to detract from the "massive rear quarter". Or 22 inch wheels for every model?

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • discus
    United Kingdom 

I think it looks great in the metal, very classy.. Bit worrying that the designer disagrees and plans major changes!
  • Labbix

Be assured, no major charges will happen to the outside for a JLR facelift, never has, never will... even if some people wanted to Wink

Remember D3 ‘facelift’ which became the D4, and even these 2 cars are visually not that different. But correct me if I’m wrong!
  • Sw1gs
    Scotland 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Kaikoura Stone

Well, the new mild hybrid 3 litre diesels have been launched in the FFRR and RRS, 2 variants called D300 and D350, both straight six diesels as part of the Ingenium family. Wonder when we’ll see them in the D5, I would guess that they’ll only offer the D300 in the UK. Thoughts anyone?
  • eelpout
    United States 

Sw1gs wrote:

Well, the new mild hybrid 3 litre diesels have been launched in the FFRR and RRS, 2 variants called D300 and D350, both straight six diesels as part of the Ingenium family. Wonder when we’ll see them in the D5, I would guess that they’ll only offer the D300 in the UK. Thoughts anyone?

somewhere I read that it was likely only a single version of the hybrid diesels would be approved for the US. I thought it was the D350, but who knows. I'm waiting on this power plant too.
  • eelpout
    United States 

In case no one picked up on this, in the USA pricing & order guide released for the 2021 Full Fat RR last week, the only diesel listed is the TD6. No mention of the new D3xx hybrids.

I figured the FFRR would be the first to get one of these new engines certified over here; maybe they'll be a mid model year addition. Fingers crossed the D5 could still get it for MY21 on this side of the pond as engine changes haven't been formally announced yet for the UK.

Oh and another surprise (to me), no Pivi Pro for the MY21 FFRR either. Guess they are waiting for the chassis refresh.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

eelpout wrote:
    Sw1gs wrote:

somewhere I read that it was likely only a single version of the hybrid diesels would be approved for the US. I thought it was the D350, but who knows. I'm waiting on this power plant too.

I would love to see the D350 over here. I think the Defender P400 is doing well, which has diesel-like numbers, but I think a diesel MHEV would post that much better fuel efficiency numbers and have more torque.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum