Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

Today's little modification

One of the problems with using the D5 off-road is that the recovery points are hidden under covers so either you have to grovel around in the dirt to remove the covers when you need to or remove them before you go off-road.

So I thought I'd have a go at modifying a rear cover to keep the recovery point exposed.

I have the detachable tow bar so the standard rear cover bulges out to cover it. I didn't want to start cutting up my cover and wanted something that would sit further in so that it wouldn't catch if the recovery angle was slightly off to the side.

I wasn't sure if the plan would work, so I got the cheapest rear cover for the fixed tow bar that I could find off the popular internet auction site and set to work doing a bit of measuring, cutting and trimmed the cut edges with black rubber car edge protective trim.

For someone with my very limited DIY skills, I'm quite pleased with the result it certainly looks neater than driving around with no cover on and it's easy to change back to the standard cover when I want to. Next project will be to do something similar at the front.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • Blackfly
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

certainly looks better than with the panel removed

F50, Fourtack, LR3 and now..............D5 HSE TDV6
  • Labbix

I think/hope the facelifted D5 will have this ‘covered’! As the current design is certainly a flaw to me. But well done, looks way better!
  • Labbix

I had the detachable tow bar as well and the plastic cover that was in front of the recovery hook always fell out. Looked dirt cheap to me, but when someone drove in to the back of the car (onto the very strong tow bar, that I must admit) and the panel was scratched, JLR quoted a 1000€ for it to be replaced... shameless.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum