Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• HPRMunster
    United Kingdom 

Vehicle Security

Good morning,

Having seen this morning on the Facebook ‘stolen vehicles midlands’ page, a D5 was stolen for its owners drive (no details how), what measures do you take if any to protect your vehicle?

Having only just had my D5 (first time owner) I’m getting a bit nervous leaving it! I was thinking of getting a disklok, anyone use these?

Thanks
  • L3enny
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

Hi there, we have a stop lock for the steering wheel https://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-secu...11399.html

We also fitted one of Ray’s RLD spare wheel protectors. Doesn’t stop your car being stolen but stops them stealing your spare wheel. Ray’s details are on here if you search
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

I would be finding out how it was stolen before panicking, It'st likely the thief had the keys.

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

The current fashion is "relay" theft of keyless vehicles.

The thieves use an electronic repeater device to trick the car in to thinking that the key which is often in the house near the door is actually next to the car so the car lets them in and start it.

The protection from this is to keep the key as far away from the door as you can and in a "Faraday" pouch that blocks the electronic signal.

The current design of LR keys (from MY2019 I think) are more cleverly designed and more resistant to this type of attack. In the newer keys, the car measures the distance to the key by how long it takes the signal to travel so the "relay" attack doesn't work because the car can still tell that the signal has travelled too far.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

Quote:
    The current design of LR keys (from MY2019 I think) are more cleverly designed and more resistant to this type of attack. In the newer keys, the car measures the distance to the key by how long it takes the signal to travel so the "relay" attack doesn't work because the car can still tell that the signal has travelled too far.

That isn't new to MY2019, as far as I am aware this was always on the D5. It is more likely they had the key, as harry says.

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Or the report is wrong? Maybe a DS , Discovery Sport?
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

In reaction to 'relay theft' possibility, I came across LRD Securiity Keyless Protector. which is an ultra thin shaped circuit board the simply wraps around the fob battery, Apparently it is intelligent enough to decide when the fob is inactive and consequently isolates said battery thus stopping the fob from transmitting any signal.( no signal, no relay theft) Reactivation of the fob is by tapping it gently twice. £140 cost. I have contacted LRD for further and better details.

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

Here is the link to the test done by ADAC in Germany. The article has a link to a PDF with the test results. I stand corrected though, Discovery from 2018 onwards have this.

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

harrythespider wrote:
    In reaction to 'relay theft' possibility, I came across LRD Securiity Keyless Protector. which is an ultra thin shaped circuit board the simply wraps around the fob battery, Apparently it is intelligent enough to decide when the fob is inactive and consequently isolates said battery thus stopping the fob from transmitting any signal.( no signal, no relay theft) Reactivation of the fob is by tapping it gently twice. £140 cost. I have contacted LRD for further and better details.

That's how current BMW keys work .
  • DangerMouseUK
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

The keys with the newer technology (UWB) are square like the RRS and RR whereas the older tech keys are more rounded.

They phased in UWB around the globe think we've had it for two MY years now in the UK. The RR and RRS have had it since the facelift for MY18.

MY20 SD6 HSE Luxury
  • Browser
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Fuji White

Keep your keys in an old tin, Golden Syrup works well !

2019 HSE LUX
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

That’s fine until the wife throws it in the recycle bin Shocked
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum