Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Phil B
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Aruba

Battery dead - rear lights stuck on

Hi guys - had a call from the tracker people to say I had a battery issue. Checked the car - completely dead, and had to open it manually. Have put it on a battery conditioner and it has started to take some charge, but it looks like the rear lights (and number plates) are stuck on, irrespective of if I turn them off at the stalk. I've checked the fuse diagrams but cannot find any reference to a fuse for the lights so that I can at least disable them while the battery comes back t life. Does anyone have any ideas? Anyone know which fuse is related to the rear lights?

Thanks

Phil

Mar 2017 HSE Luxury,
    Dynamic Pack - Aruba
  • DaveRitz
    England 
    2020 Discovery SDV6 HSE Fuji White

I have experienced this a couple of times. According to the Land Rover Assist technicians, this is a known D5 quirk that disappears when the voltage reaches a certain level at which point the car alarm sounds. The quickest way to restore the the vehicle to normal is the to jump start it, let it idle for 30 minutes, drive it for about 20 miles and then put it on a charge overnight.

The cause for of the flat battery? Initially, software updates were applied to a couple of control modules as it was thought that the vehicle was not fully shutting down. This didn’t solve failure of the battery to hold its charge so the battery was than replaced. After a subsequent flat battery and a discussion with a senior technician, it was thought that the problem was attributable to the proximity of the car key to the vehicle, which energises the electronic circuitry whenever it comes within 3 metres of the D5. Even if the D5 is not unlocked, the circuits remain alive for around 20 minutes before shutting down.

I generally keep the key in whichever jacket I happen to be wearing at the time and although the jacket is hung on a coat peg some 10+ metres away from the car, I was walking past the D5 wearing my jacket (with key) 3 or 4 times per day. This clearly “woke-up” the car on each occasion. The proposed solution was to keep the key in a Faraday pouch until such time as I wanted to use the car. I have been doing this for the past 3 months without the reoccurrence of the flat battery.

The above may not be the answer to your problem but it may be worth a try if no obvious electrical faults are found.
  • Phil B
    United Kingdom 

Thanks so much for the reply. Got the car started with a booster pack, drove it for 45 minutes and then turned the engine off. Dead as a dodo, but at least the CTEK got up to phase 3 this time (last night) and I will see how it’s doing this morning (been going all night).

I do t think the proximity thing is our issue - car is parked 20 metres from the house. I’m installing a new battery next week and keep fingers crossed that works. Car is out of warranty and I do t relish the bill for an electrical failure.

Thanks again

Phil

Mar 2017 HSE Luxury,
    Dynamic Pack - Aruba
  • Blackfly
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

I had a dead battery on my 2017 HSE, was replaced but had starting issues a few days later, was all related to a faulty ground

When the original battery was taken off it was sweating and had swollen,

My warranty is 4 years, are they shorter in the UK?

F50, Fourtack, LR3 and now..............D5 HSE TDV6
  • Phil B
    United Kingdom 

Just 3 years here, sadly

Mar 2017 HSE Luxury,
    Dynamic Pack - Aruba
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum