Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• SHARKYSHARKS
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Car overheated

Just a quick one to judge whether this has happened to anyone else,
    D5 3.0 HSE Lux MY 18

SWMBO took the car yesterday only drove around 6 miles Engine overheating came up on dash and temp was at 3/4 !

She rung me I told her to park it up until I got to work to have a look at it.
    I started it took it for a run and all normal Rolling Eyes

Has anyone else experienced this and is it something I should be worried about ?

Donโ€™t want this happening tommorow first day at UNI for the daughter, so have to deliver her and half the house to her halls Confused
  • SHARKYSHARKS
    United Kingdom 

Booked the Disco in at Guy Salmon for the overheating and flat battery issue on Thursday,
    Rang me Friday to say the overheating issue was caused by a oil temp sensor which they will have to orderi in, and when they get it will be a 10 hour job ๐Ÿ™„
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Namib Orange

Hope it is under warranty still!!
  • SHARKYSHARKS
    United Kingdom 

Oh yes till the end Jan ๐Ÿ‘
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Check coolant level - diesels drink coolant.

Since it's MY18 this is the Td6 engine, yes?
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 

SHARKYSHARKS, where did you hear that Diesels drink coolant.

I have been driving diesel cars (LRs and other makes) for over 20 years and have not had one single of them "drink coolant".

There is no reason for a diesel to "drink coolant". the cooling system on a diesel and petrol car are actually very similar. If you diesel is loosing coolant, then you either have a coolant leak, have forgotten to put on the coolant tank top, have a cylinder head gasket issue, or a leak elsewhere (oil radiator, transmission radiator, alternator (if you have a water cooled alternator)).
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

It's a closed system, yes, but there's always escape. I live at 6,000 feet+ in Colorado and every single car I've ever owned here requires an annual or sometimes semi-annual top-up.

The Td6 and Sd6 with their extra radiators are more sensitive to low coolant levels it seems.
  • SHARKYSHARKS
    United Kingdom 

Iโ€™ve never had it use a drop of coolant ๐Ÿ™„
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 

Sorry sharky... i put the question to the wrong person.

I have had 2x d2 td5, 1x rrs tdv6, 1x d3 tdv6, 1x ffrr td6, 1x volvo v50 1.6d, hyundai terracan crdi, skoda octavia 4x4 tdi and smart cdi, and none if them have "drunk coolant", so I would take that comment with a pinch of salt.

Also... from what I have read online, many LR technicians in the US don't know the front from the back of the new LR diesels (or the old ones for that matter).

The important thing to determine is... was you d5 REALLY low on coolant? If it wasn't, then it could be the pump, a partially blocked radiator, the cooling fans (since i believe they are electric on the d5 rather than a viscous coupling on the d4) or could simply be a sensor.

Were you towing when it happened as the gbox is also cooled and could heat the coolant more?
  • SHARKYSHARKS
    United Kingdom 

No coolant level was normal wasnโ€™t towing I was on the motorway doing about 70 temperature went right into the red so I slowed down pulled towards the hard shoulder and then the temp dropped as quick as it rose ๐Ÿ™„
    Hopefully the oil temp sensor will sort it but Iโ€™ll report back when they have completed the repair Thumbs Up
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 

Please do keep up informed. I think it xould very well be the sensor if you haven't lost any coolant, and if the temp went straight back down again.

Good luck!!
  • SHARKYSHARKS
    United Kingdom 

Sorry for the delay on the update,
    Got the car back and the dealer said that the oil temp sensor was not required and just a PCM update
    ( whatever that is ), any way since then the car has been fine, touch wood ๐Ÿ‘
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

Possibly Powertrain Control Module, so a software update.

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum