Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Miegru
    Netherlands 

New member/buy question

Hi,

Am on my third disco4; a 2014 3.0l hse. Love the looks of the disco5 so want an upgrade. Most of my milage is daily driver, some very light off road and 12/15 times per year long trips to various circuits with my race westfield on a trailer behind (1500kg total weight). In total approx 55k km/year

My options:
    2018 2.0l (241hp version) 27k km’s
    2017 3.0l (258hp version) 64k km’s

Spec on both cars is similar, price is similar. Have a slight preference for the color&interior combination of the 2.0l version.

What would be smart:
    - 2.0l standard
    - 2.0l chip tuned
    - 3.0l

Ideally experience based opinions please

Thanks

Mies
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

Hi Mies,

There are members on here towing close to 2T with a 2L engine happily, so with either I would not expect you'd have any issues. As long as you're not driving it like the car you're towing Smile The advantage of the 2018 model is that you'd have at least another year of manufacturers warranty - try and extend that if you can in the deal. Comes down to personal preference. For me, coming from a TDV6 D4 into the D5, the 4 cylinder engine 'sounded wrong for the size of car' so I went for the 3L.

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Having driven lots of 3.0 SDV6 (306bhp) D5s, i did the best part of 3000km in a 2.0 diesel one.

Objective performance was fine, plenty quick enough. I never thought “I need more horses”.

Subjectively, it lost me. Laggier, much laggier, from a standing start. Lost the effortless feel of the V6, where gearchanges are unnoticeable in gentle driving. Downchanges on 60mph steady inclines where the V6 would stay in top. Too many revs and too much noise for the performance. To me, the V6 exactly fits the wafty, soft but strong character of the D5. The four did not. All IMHO of course, many owners are happy.

Interestingly, economy was no better.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Miegru
    Netherlands 

Thanks for the reactions. Just bought the 2.0l. Did a testdrive and recognized that the engine has to work harder. However the interior choices the previous owner made in terms op colours and materials gave me that special feeling that i am used to from my disco4.

And as i become faster on track (unfortunately a slow process due to lack of talent) i find myself driving more and more relaxed away from it. That fit this discovery very very well.

So happy! Will pick it up in one week.
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

Congratulations, and good luck on the track!

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

You can get a "pedalbox" upgrade with makes the 2Ltr more reponsive without tuning the engine, as the lag some folks comment on seems to come from the throtlle position sensor.

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Congratulations on your new motor OP, glad you’ve got a great spec.

This is my first experience of Discovery ownership, 14 months in (12 months in one which I rejected and 2 months in its replacement) and I’m loving it. Awesome vehicles.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum