Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• RegG
    United Kingdom 

What towing mirrors for the D5?

I have just tried my Milenco towing mirrors - the type that clamp onto the top of the mirror housing - on the D5 and find that they are not really secure for whatever reason.......

Any recommendations for suitable towing mirrors please?

2020 Discovery Landmark 3.0 SDV6, Portofino Blue
  • PRH
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Sd4 (180) HSE Lux Indus Silver

I use Milenco Aero with no problems to date.....
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

Milencos on mine, with a slight modification. Get a small peice of rubber (old bike inner tube works a treat) and glue a peice onto the bottom part of the clamp that fits to the LR door mirror. It grips the door mirror better. Also - there are some Milenco pads specifically for LR - They aren't actually needed but can help as well, and finally, do you have the swivel clamps on your Milencos, as these also suit the shape of the D5 mirrors better.

The D5 mirror are the same shape as the later D4 mirrors, and I have used my Milencos on both with the above mods and work a treat. I also have the extended arms as our 'van is 8Ft wide.

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

The so called LR Milenco pads are a bit of ‘miss’. The plastic trim around my D5 mirrors is tapered such that the little ‘grip ridges’ on these pads reach the gap between the trim and the mirror housing at the narrow end ...but not at the other. One pad needs to be wider to locate the grip ridge further in for the wide end of the trim.

I bonded a thin strip of rubber to the extreme edge of a basic Milenco pad which reaches the gap at the wide end.
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

I have the milenco aero mirrors as well but for me they vibrate too much. I can't wait for Clear View mirrors to become available for the D5 (they are for the D4). Or for the new Defender.

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

@ wolfpak - I use one Milenco LR pad and one standard pad on each side on mine, due to the tapering - works well Thumbs Up

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • RegG
    United Kingdom 

Thanks for all the replies and very helpful tips! I managed to get the Milenco mirrors (I think they are the Aero models) onto the car nice and firmly yesterday to take the 'van back to storage.
    Thumbs Up

2020 Discovery Landmark 3.0 SDV6, Portofino Blue
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

al cope wrote:
    @ wolfpak - I use one Milenco LR pad and one standard pad on each side on mine, due to the tapering - works well Thumbs Up

Al

I agree Al..... it’s just my belt and bracers approach. 😂
    I actually discussed this with Milenco Technical Director back in 2018. He said they were aware of the problem and were planning on making a wider pad. Good job I didn’t hold my breath. 🙄
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum