Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Bigwhiteone
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Yulong White

Graunching Thud from rear axle/differential

I have a 2018 D5 HSE. When pulling away, particularly when turning, or when centring the steering wheel after a turn, I get a graunching thud sound from the rear centre/near side wheel, you can also feel the thump through the seat. I’ve complained to my local dealer on numerous occasions who tell me they’ve checked everything and can find no fault? It’s getting, in my opinion, progressively worse. In my good old days of driving my ancient MGB Roadster I would say it’s the rear rear diff or UJ joint? Hads anyone had a similar experience? The warranty on the car is about to expire and I’m anxious to get to the bottom of the problem. Any views, experiences or solutions would be greatly appreciated.
  • John77
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Fuji White

Sounds like transfer box. I had a similar problem, dealer couldn't find the fault and initially changed the rear diff. Didn't fix it. As it didn't happen all the time and dealer couldn't replicate it, I took LR technician out with me to prove it. Only happened sometimes when turning left and pulling away at a junction. On experiencing it first hand he was able to diagnose the fault. Work done under warranty.

MY19 HSE SDV6 Fuji White - roof rails + bars, privacy glass, HUD, adaptive LED, deployable tow bar, 360º cameras, side steps.
  • Bigwhiteone
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Yulong White

John. Many thanks. You’ve described perfectly the problem. Like you, it only happens occasionally, but as mentioned it is becoming more frequent. At its last service ( a few weeks ago) I even let the service manager take the car home for the night. His only comment was he agreed he could sense ‘suspension sounds’? I’ve decided to try another main dealership to see if they can replicate the problem and do something under warranty.
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

I had a similar noise and just had the eDiff replaced. No more noise.

The eDiff engages when driving away, but when this is combined with going through a slight turn it engages partially, then releases this when speeding up or steering wheel is turned more (to avoid diff lockup). In my case it would lock 75% when pulling away, then releasing lock to 25% then completely open. At both 75% to 25% lock and 25% to open a noise was heard and felt like what I'd describe like running over a cats eye in the road. It happened most of the time at large roundabouts.

The dealer checked this out with 'chassis ears', confirmed the noise was from the eDiff. Oil was checked and found to be a little dark and had bits of metal in it. On the basis of that the eDiff was replaced.

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

same issue with rear ediff, quite common. Mine had fluid flush and is hugely improved but not completely silent. JLR have refused to consider anything further telling me it is "a characteristic of the car". They suggested if I liked I could pay the dealer to investigate again and if the dealer then finds a fault they'll consider it as an ex-gratia claim, but otherwise the investigation cost is down to me.

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum