Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• OllyMidd
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Farallon Black

To be new owner

Hi all,

I will look to give the go ahead on a black D5 either today or tomorrow so wanted to say a quick hello and whether anyone knows of the D5 I'm looking to purchase.

The registration WK17 O.., a black 2017 HSE D5 with a number of extras including tan massage (I think) seats with rear TV's. Looks like it originated in Cornwall and has had one owner.

If anyone on here was the previous owner or knows of it, it'd be great to hear from you prior to giving the go ahead.

I've had a couple of D3's previously so 'somewhat' know what I'm getting into but are they all as bad as I read? I appreciate that most people only come online to leave negative feedback but if there is one place to ask...

I've gone for the 3.0 TD6 opposed to the 2.0.

Any and all comments welcome and thanks! Cool
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

Hi Ollymidd and welcome, You are fairly correct with your observations regarding feedback but there are some praising comments also. The odds of the previous owner being a member will be pretty remote, would the seller (dealer?) not disclose the previous owner? with reference to I've had a couple of D3's previously so 'somewhat' know what I'm getting , You probably don't. ( I was the same) The D5 is a totally different animal, more technically advanced, more refined, more economical, better performance, I could go on. The main difference though is the cars 'operating system'. D3 was canbus and could be worked on by practically anyone and there were numerous software/hardware gizmos available to diagnose, fix, enhance and enjoy by the DIYer, not so with the D5 it is dealer or Indy only. as the software (pathfinder) is internet based and expensive, there are no viable alternatives, even Black box or GAP IID cannot accommodate, LIke any car, good and regular maintenance is essential, shop around for service prices, probably a good idea to have a warranty, there are components you can change, brakes, suspension, body parts etc, but anything technical and its going to be garage. Where in the country are you, if up north, I can recommend a brilliant indy.

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • OllyMidd
    United Kingdom 

Hi Harry,

Thanks for your response and welcome. What I meant by the 'know what I'm getting myself in for', I meant more so the potential reliability issues. I had, on both D3's, the torque converter go and a rebuilt gearbox Big Cry plus many other niggles (leaking sunroof, electrics etc...)

I understand that the D5 will be leaps and bounds ahead of the rickety old D3 and I'm excited to get behind the wheel for sure!

I haven't asked yet about the previous owner but I can tell it was likely family car prior by having Peppa Pig being loaded onto the media system Laughing It also has a FDSH with a single owner and I'm hoping that any of the annoying initial niggles have been rectified in it's first term of ownership - but time will tell!

It's only an HSE but it has a number of extra's I wanted that come with the LUX version so I'm happy in that respect.

I do have one question though which you may be able to answer. The front seats have the 'winged' headrest, do you know if this means that they are the massage variant or are they like this simply due to the screens in the back?

I'm located in Essex so a fair drive to cumbria but thanks for the offer! Cool
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

I've had two MY20 Luxes, but assume previous MYs are the same...winged headrests are purely because of the screens. Massaging seats is a separate option that comes with the same headrests.

You never know though, hopefully the first-owner-option gods are smiling on you. If I had gone to the expense of speccing RSE on a HSE then I probably would have gone whole hog and got the massaging jobs, hopefully the original buyer of yours thought the same!

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

unfortunately most dealers will no longer divulge details of the previous keeper, due to GPDR rules. The V5 no longer lists those details either. I did see my cars V5 which said "Jaguar Land Rover Limited", that was the only time I saw anything though.

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • OllyMidd
    United Kingdom 

Equilibrium wrote:
    I've had two MY20 Luxes, but assume previous MYs are the same...winged headrests are purely because of the screens. Massaging seats is a separate option that comes with the same headrests.

You never know though, hopefully the first-owner-option gods are smiling on you. If I had gone to the expense of speccing RSE on a HSE then I probably would have gone whole hog and got the massaging jobs, hopefully the original buyer of yours thought the same!

Ahh I thought all winged were massage seats, I can only pray! I guess there is no way in finding out until I've the car (which I'm collecting tomorrow!)
  • OllyMidd
    United Kingdom 

mordred1973 wrote:
    unfortunately most dealers will no longer divulge details of the previous keeper, due to GPDR rules. The V5 no longer lists those details either. I did see my cars V5 which said "Jaguar Land Rover Limited", that was the only time I saw anything though.

Yeah, it's really annoying! I think it'll be a trip to LR or to just give them a call. Do you know whether it can be done on the phone and quickly or not something you've had to do?
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Good luck with the new car today, Olly. Remember to post us some pics!

Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • OllyMidd
    United Kingdom 

Thanks! All went smoothly and sad to report that no massage seats but it’s super comfy with the Windsor leather chairs! I had a CLA45 AMG prior so it was a bumpy journey up and a smooth one back haha. Albeit a little slower...

I uploaded a picture but unsure if it’ll show up as I’m on my phone!

Took me a good while this evening to figure out how to turn on the interior lights to auto when opening/closing the doors 😂

One thing I was disappointed with is that it doesn’t have apple car play! I have to 10” screen and meridian system but maybe too early? I read that it can be updated and I checked the paperwork that came with the car and one check list has this on but was crossed. Why wouldn’t they do it? Do they do it only when a customer asks? If it can be done, I guess it’s just a call to LR and they can do it? Will they do it whilst I wait or does this depend on dealership etc?

Thanks in advance!

[/u]
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Great sunny day shot! Think your change of pace/luxury in transport is even larger than my own (440i to D5).

I believe ACP can be enabled, not sure if there is a MY limitation but quite a few posts on here about it.

• OllyMidd
    United Kingdom 

Ohh I change car a lot! I’m 29 and have had 17 cars haha. I go from small/nippy to big and comfy but I think I will keep this for more than a year! The CLA45 I had was running at 422bhp so was no slouch! But it was not particularly comfortable on journeys 1:30hr and over but it was for sure fun to drive!

I have a friend that works at my local LR stealer so I’ve messaged her to see if she cans sort me out!

It was a great day weather wise and traffic was pretty good both ways (3hr journey each way).
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

You can have Carplay, etc on any HSE, I used have a March 2017 HSE that I ordered when the D5 was released in 2016.

I had Carplay from the moment that it was released, just get you car updated.
  • OllyMidd
    United Kingdom 

Noted, thanks! Was it a quick job or did you get it updated when you were having other work done?
  • BigCol66
    United Kingdom 

OllyMidd wrote:
    Thanks! All went smoothly and sad to report that no massage seats but it’s super comfy with the Windsor leather chairs! I had a CLA45 AMG prior so it was a bumpy journey up and a smooth one back haha. Albeit a little slower...

I uploaded a picture but unsure if it’ll show up as I’m on my phone!

Took me a good while this evening to figure out how to turn on the interior lights to auto when opening/closing the doors 😂

One thing I was disappointed with is that it doesn’t have apple car play! I have to 10” screen and meridian system but maybe too early? I read that it can be updated and I checked the paperwork that came with the car and one check list has this on but was crossed. Why wouldn’t they do it? Do they do it only when a customer asks? If it can be done, I guess it’s just a call to LR and they can do it? Will they do it whilst I wait or does this depend on dealership etc?

Thanks in advance!

[/u]

Welcome to the forum very nice D5

Discovery 5 HSE Dynamic D300
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

OllyMidd wrote:
    Noted, thanks! Was it a quick job or did you get it updated when you were having other work done?

You just need to get the infotainment system up to the latest version. Part way through the life cycle JLR started over the air updates.

If you are on a pre-OTA version then you will need the dealer to sort it for you, you need to be on a version that supports OTA and JLR need to enable your VIN to receive them.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum