Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• OllyMidd
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Farallon Black

Odd DPF warning

So I have some experience with DPFs but my mind is slightly boggled with this one.

I did a long (200 mile journey two days ago bringing the car home - new owner of 17 plate) and yesterday and today, I experienced after turning the car on towards the end of each day the amber DPF warning to go and take a drive. Yesterday, it just went away after about 30 seconds and today it lasted for maybe 1 minute, saw the green ‘good to go’ message and that was was. I must also note that both times, I couldn’t even reach the road I’d take it on to clear the message.

So my Q’s...

> Does the car regenerate after a certain time, mileage or something else
    > Has anyone experienced this?
    > Could it be because the car sat at a dealership for a short while?
    > Surely the car would have done a regeneration on my almost 200 mile journey Home?
    > I noticed this evening that the auto start/stop worked when at a set of lights, then didn’t do it again for the remainder of the journey. I read that the car will disable auto start/stop if or when it will do a regen.
    > Has anyone successfully removed a DPF with passable MOT results?

Sorry for all the questions and TIA!
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

> Does the car regenerate after a certain time, mileage or something else
    -- It detects backpressure / pressure drop across the DPF, indicating a necessary regen
    -- If you can't drive it long enough for the regen to take place completely, it's going to throw the message that you need to go drive it.

> Has anyone experienced this?
    -- Only once on a previous vehicle, never on the LR. Have never even seen the regen lights light up, amber or green.

> Could it be because the car sat at a dealership for a short while?
    -- Could be that there were many short trips on test drives in it - and the DPF got clogged up.

> Surely the car would have done a regeneration on my almost 200 mile journey Home?
    -- If your RPMs were high enough - I understand the requirements to be getting the RPMs up over a long enough time for the exhaust to heat the DPF. When I cruise at 70mph, my RPMs are maybe 1650. May have to shift into manual mode and kick it down a gear or two to get the RPMs well into the 2K's to 3K for a while. The tell if your vehicle did an active regen (i.e., post-combustion injection of diesel fuel on the exhaust stroke) would have likely been terrible mileage.

> I noticed this evening that the auto start/stop worked when at a set of lights, then didn’t do it again for the remainder of the journey. I read that the car will disable auto start/stop if or when it will do a regen.
    -- This sounds likely. If the engine isn't warm up to operating temperature it also won't auto start/stop, but that would have been the reverse - didn't work early, then worked for the remainder of the journey. I always use a 2-button startup: engine on, start/stop off.

> Has anyone successfully removed a DPF with passable MOT results?
    -- this will light up your dash, throw permanent codes, etc - so even if somehow you pass smogging, if they pull codes it will show a critical emissions failure. The vehicle may even go into limp mode unless you have an aftermarket tuner get into the code or install some bypass module to spoof the computer.
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Did you buy from a main dealer, if so take it back to them and get them to sort it

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

I agree with Russell, although appreciate that this is a pain when the dealer is a long distance away. Alternatively, have them agree to fund an inspection locally.

Doesn’t sound right to me, the DPF must regen on a 200 mile journey. Otherwise, none of us would ever get a regen.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

Have to admit, I have never noticed a sign of a regen at all in 36000 miles. It has obviously done lots of them! The newer ones have a feature in the app to tell you how full the DPF is, alas 2017 doesn't have that.

I tend to think when the stop start doesn't work for a couple of days, the battery is low due to numerous short trips so the DPF may well be filling up and take it for a drive lol

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Equilibrium wrote:
    I agree with Russell, although appreciate that this is a pain when the dealer is a long distance away. Alternatively, have them agree to fund an inspection locally.

Doesn’t sound right to me, the DPF must regen on a 200 mile journey. Otherwise, none of us would ever get a regen.

Active regen is only necessary when passive regeneration doesn't take place sufficiently. On a very long trip, depending on driving habits, the DPF may naturally clean itself just by getting hot enough long enough to burn off the soot in the DPF elements. At highway speed, diesels generally operate at their optimum and don't generate much in the way of soot, but do generate enough heat that there's a net cleaning effect on the DPF.

Active regeneration means the engine jets a puff of diesel fuel on the exhaust stroke, which gets pushed out the exhaust port and into the downpipe, where the hot gases ignite (burn, not combust) and artificially heat the DPF to burn off the soot. When this happens and once complete, you're supposed to get a green light on the dash "briefly" to indicate that an active regeneration has occurred. I have never, ever seen it light on my vehicle in 3+ years and 41,000+ miles.

An Amber DPF light means the DPF is getting full, and you'll get a warning message with instructions to drive the vehicle for a certain time so an active regeneration can complete. Never seen one of these either.

If the DPF becomes "full" you get a red DPF warning light, maybe a chime, and a more dire warning to contact your loan officer for an expensive dealer visit. Thankfully, have never seen one of these, knock wood, and hope I never do. If I do, I pray it's in the next 4 years or 50,000 miles.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

same in just over 2 years and 43500 miles have never seen a green light notifying me an active regen has occurred, equally have never had any other DPF warning. Fingers crossed that carries on.

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Blackfly
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

snap same here since 2017!

F50, Fourtack, LR3 and now..............D5 HSE TDV6
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum