Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• joness7
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 SE Santorini Black

Oh Sh!t - Insurance

Just got an email from LV about my insurance renewal in March:

Quote:

Over the past few years, there’s been an increasing rise in thefts of the LAND ROVER Discovery SE SDV6, which you may be aware of via articles in the press. The costs associated with insuring these vehicles are something we can no longer sustain without making changes to the way we price for them. Even though you may not have made a claim for vehicle theft, there is a higher chance of theft for this particular type of vehicle.

The large increase in the number and cost of claims we’ve received for these vehicles has meant we’ve made the difficult decision to increase our pricing for them. This will have an impact at your next renewal date on 10 March 2021.

Doesn't look good Shocked Shocked Looks like I will be looking for a new insurer in March. Bit of a shame as we have a multicar policy with them, so probably need to re-home the others as well.

Does it make any difference that mine doesn't actually have keyless entry? I thought that was the weak link?

2019 D5 SdV6 SE Anniversary black/black
  • Windy Miller
    United Kingdom 

The weak link is the car's computer, yes they can be stolen using keyless relay thefts, but there are simpler ways to steal any Land/Range Rover:

The thief simply gets into the car by either a) relay entry b) smashing their way in c) 'picking' the lock using a lock pick tool you can buy for around £600. Then simply plug a device you can buy on the internet into the OBD to start the car. The device (costs around €8000) tricks the car to thinking it's in 'emergency mode' and will start it. No need to clone a key, no need to relay a keyless code:

It's not yet known how the new MY21 'Secure Tracker Pro' combats this with it's extra Key security/requirement, but the website where you buy these OBD 'tools' from state it only works on cars up to MY20.

I always use a Disklok on my cars, regardless of it being a bit inconvenient.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Dunno, just had a quick check and put my policy starting date down as 1/2/21 and the LV price seems okay? Maybe it’s a London thing?

• harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

So I guess I'll be in the man cave this weekend making a really safe/secure OBD port guard.

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

The D5, from what I have seen is much harder to gain entry to by key scanning than the D4. Wasn’t it an article by one of German car mags who did some testing and reported on this..

Discovery sport was easier to steal.

Found a whatcar article on it to https://whatcar.com/news/car-theft-group-t...019/n19876

I was with LV and jan renewal went up from 606 last year to 790 this year.. Moved to direct line for 532

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum