Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Windy Miller
    United Kingdom 

I've posted some screenshots from the video into the main MY21 refresh thread here: https://disco5.co.uk/forum/post30369.html#30369

Smile

2021 D300 R-Dynamic HSE - Carpathian Grey.
  • BigCol66
    United Kingdom 

Windy Miller wrote:
    adds58 wrote:
    Anyone know when the dealers will get my21 demo vehicles to look at? Would quite like to see all the updates and test drive it before making my final decision.

My dealer has literally just emailed me a video of him walking around their very first MY21 fresh off the trailer this lunchtime, which will be their demo.

In the video he shows me the new headlamp arrangement, the new steering wheel, new pivipro etc. But the thing he says in the video is the how quiet the new engine is. His words "it is VERY noticeably quieter compared to the outgoing V6, it's striking!"

Theirs is a D250 SE R-Dynamic, so lots of spec different to the HSE D300 I've ordered, but a good indicator of what's to come, such as the positioning of the front indicators which was a surprise!

I can't say I'm a fan of the steering wheel, it has polished spokes! Shocked

If my dealer has theirs then other dealers should start receiving theirs soon.

Smile

Looking forward to trying the MY21 D5. I haven't ruled out a Defender D300. I won't be doing big miles but I do a fair bit of towing so it's Diesel all the way for me.

Discovery 5 HSE Dynamic D300
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Somewhat odd to suggest that LR are no better or worse than any other manufacturer for faults and problems. Every reliability survey in the world points out that they are one of the worst manufacturers.

Statistically speaking, you’re far less likely to have a problem in something Japanese or Korean.

My own experience - two new LRs, both with faults and inconsistent behaviour. Call it 9 faults across the two cars in 9k miles in 18 months. Only the first one caused me to call out assist though, three times.

I’ve yet to discover a fault or issue with our Toyota in 7.5 years, although only 17k miles - but that low cycle usage is in itself challenging for the car.

Their production capabilities are awful. I love the car, but I’d be much happier if Toyota built it.

And in nine and a half years and 120k miles in two BMWs, one fault (a light cluster) and one forthcoming issue (timing chain at 95k miles) identified and replaced under extended warranty by the dealer before it could cause a problem.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • adds58
    United Kingdom 

There is definitely a level of subjectiveness though.

I've also had a BMW X3 diesel that had the turbo blowup at 50k miles, the engine clog up and need 'decoking'. Both of those experiences were horrific and costly.

As mentioned, I've not had any issues with the engine on my D4 but had other problems but everytime it goes wrong (even a flat battery) I have this horrible fear that its going to be very expensive. That being said I love the Disco and which is why I'm looking to buy another one despite the fear!
  • BigCol66
    United Kingdom 

My worst Land Rover was a Discovery 3 which had numerous faults. Had two Disco 4's after that which to be fair were very reliable. Only problem I have had with the current D5 has been the leak[ng windscreen which is a known fault. Hoping they have improved the reliability for the MY21.

Discovery 5 HSE Dynamic D300
  • adds58
    United Kingdom 

Windy Miller wrote:
    I've posted some screenshots from the video into the main MY21 refresh thread here: https://disco5.co.uk/forum/post30369.html#30369

Smile

I just spoke to my dealer and they haven't received their showroom/demo model yet Sad They do think it will be in the next 2 weeks though.
  • Lenlec
    United Kingdom 

Hi all. This is my 1st post. I’m looking at getting a new disco in April if possible.

• adds58
    United Kingdom 

So looks like I won't be able to see/test drive the new models till 12th April+ now then. Crying or Very sad

Which means earliest I would get a new car would be end of July Big Cry
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Which year is that? Whistle

That said, I’ve never taken a test drive yet. If it’s got 4 wheels and goes, then it’s fine.
  • Windy Miller
    United Kingdom 

adds58 wrote:
    So looks like I won't be able to see/test drive the new models till 12th April+ now then. Crying or Very sad

Which means earliest I would get a new car would be end of July Big Cry

What is it you're looking to ascertain from the test drive? Given you have a Disco 4 SDV6(?), you have a good starting point, and I'm assuming you've been in a D5 before? So I'm curious, is it engine choice, spec?

If it's petrol v diesel engine choice I think you might be waiting longer because all the cars arriving appear to be D300 or D250, I've not yet seen a single petrol hit the sales inventories yet.

Very Happy

• adds58
    United Kingdom 

At this point its really a decision between a D300 D5 vs XC90 PHEV.

I'm pretty sure we will go for the D300 D5 but just need to see it in the flesh, drive it and validate we're happy. Also need to make sure the wife gives the sign off! Very Happy
  • Windy Miller
    United Kingdom 

If you're driving/journeys suit a plug-in hybrid then personally I wouldn't be choosing a pure diesel D5. Why not wait for a P400e D5 that will no doubt be along sometime this year?

The D300 v T8 comparison is a bit apples v pears, where as a D300/250 v B5D comparison would be a fairer.

From your thoughts and posts, to me it seems a plug-in hybrid would be best for you (based o journey types alone), and as much has I'd like to say the D5 is for you, I think it's possibly not.

If you don't need the 7 seats, have you considered a RRS/Defender P400e?

Smile

• adds58
    United Kingdom 

Waiting for a PHEV D5 did cross my mind but do you think one is definitley coming this year? I thought it would be a few years aways and I fear the third row of seats would be lost to the additional batteries.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

would have thought if it was an "easy" fix, JLR would have added it with the 2021 new engines and AWD system. I read elsewhere they won't be a PHEV D5 as the batteries won't fit anywhere.....(I assumed they could just go without a spare wheel and fit them under the boot)

Not that I would want a 4cylinder petrol D5 personally

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • adds58
    United Kingdom 

Actually I recall reading that somewhere which is why I thought it would be a few years before they figured it out.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum