Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• luciogodoy
    United Kingdom 

Buying advice- Coming back to Disco ....

Hi All;

After selling my beloved Disco 3 HSE 2006 - 4 years ago, I'm in a position to get back on the "saddle" and purchase a Disco again.

In my old Disco3 (known as the "tank"), I've pretty much done everything from the oil changes, gearbox oil/filter changes, to timing belts to fitting a heated steering wheel.

So ... I'm looking for a second hand, with lots of electronics. I'm used to the TDV6 2.7, but not sure what are the differences between the TDV and the SDV - can you point me onto the right direction pls?

Must haves:
    Active Rear Locking Differential (must must must have)
    Adaptive Cruise Control
    Adaptive Headlights

I have found these two options on the LR website: what to you think, is this a viable option (lots of electronics!) pls?

1) https://used.landrover.co.uk/search?t=1611...ls/3083831

Missing the Adaptive Headlights

2) https://used.landrover.co.uk/search?t=1611...ls/3083946

Missing the Adaptive Cruise Control

Thanks

Lucio
  • Qwertyd5x
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

I agree locking rear diff is a must, if off-road
    The adaptive cruise is very good
    But the adaptive heads seem pretty useless, certainly compared to other cars I’ve had. They just rely on the side light coming on/off?
  • luciogodoy
    United Kingdom 

Hi Qwertyd5x

On my Disco3, I had the adaptive headlights, and the side-light would switch on (left or right) but both headlights would turn to follow the corner (left or right).

Is it not this way on the Disco5?

Thanks

Lucio
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

Hi, I had active bending headlamps on my Volvo XC60, assumed the adaptive headlamps were the same on the D5. They are not the same, the beam changes as certain speeds and additional LED's illuminate when you turn a corner (needs to be a junction not a bend in the road and below a certain speed, sorry can't remember but probably about 20MPH).

Beware of the Active Diff (also known as eDiff) many reports of them thudding and causing the thud to vibrate through the whole vehicle when driving around town. I had that, the dealer undertook a fluid change, that improved it for a few weeks and it started again, that time they replaced the seals as said it was leaking. It has been much better since, still thuds at some junctions and roundabouts but not all the time and not violently like it did. Back in July you could actually hear it from the pavement. This is a very common issue with the eDiff and JLR customer experience team described it to me on the phone as "a characteristic of the vehicles".

The D5 was fitted with 2 different 3.0 v6 diesel engines. The Td6 you are looking at in those 2 vehicles is a single turbo engine with 258ps and 600nm of torque. I love the engine, it provides amazing towing pull and surprising overall fuel economy (remembering it is a 2.4 ton 4x4) as well as being refined and sounding nice. The Td6 was reported as having oil dilution issues early in its life, many needing oil changes every 6,000 miles due to short trips. Mine had one at 6500 and 12500 miles. It then had the software update n241, and subsequently has made it pretty much to 16,000 miles between services, so the update either fixed an issue that wasn't really an issue or masks it, no-one seems to really know.

2019 model year saw the Td6 dropped and replaced with the Sd6. That is a twin turbo version of largely the same engine, but with 306ps and 700nm of torque. This version had been used in the RRS for some time. This engine does not usually suffer the oil dilution/early service issued the Td6 did. 2019 HSE models also have the adaptive cruise control as standard.

Both engines are of course largely the same as the D4 3.0 TDV6 and SDV6 but modified for power and emissions. There have been reports of crank failure on this engine ever since it was launched in the D4 in 2009 when it was increased from a 2.7 TDV6. Fingers crossed most of us never have to see that.

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

[b]luciogodoy[/b The second vehicle is in the lower RFL band, which is a bonus.

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Do you do a lot of hard off road, if not why do you want he rear locking diiff, the cars without will go a very long way without a rear locking diff

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

I agree - rear locker isn't really necessary for 99% of off road travel, even over steep trails with lots of rocks. I've done absolutely astounding things with my D5 here in the Rockies with just low range and Terrain Response 2. The Disco is a beast offroad.

If you're going to tow a caravan over wet, grassy campsites from a stop, pull stumps with it, or do a lot of driving in sand or deep mud, then you may get some use out of a rear locker.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

harrythespider wrote:
    [b]luciogodoy[/b The second vehicle is in the lower RFL band, which is a bonus.

Means its a very early 2017 (pre April?) to have beaten the "over £40k" tax system.

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Flat Earther
    United Kingdom 

Russell wrote:
    Do you do a lot of hard off road, if not why do you want he rear locking diiff, the cars without will go a very long way without a rear locking diff

Try one with a locking rear diff, put it in one of the off road modes (grass, gravel, snow will do) and take it out on just a wet road and then accelerate. See how much use the TR makes of the locking rear diff, even with only mild provocation 👍
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

interestingly, mine shows the padlock far less since the fluid change....

• chaos_theory
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

I had a D3 TDV6 too. Great car, but the D5 3.0 SDV6 is a differently level in terms of power, torque and smoothness. I'd get a SDV6 if you can.

Welcome back Thumbs Up

Andrew
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum