Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• LucasG
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 SE Loire Blue

Battery recharge

Hi,
    Any advice on how to safely recharge or maintain the battery. Low battery warning light on, probably through low usage. I'll order a C-Tek 5 charger as I believe that is the one JLR have branded as their product,. Any recommendation on how to safely charge? Straight onto battery terminals? Remove battery (I've heard this is not necessary)? or through the towing electrics using a C-Tek adapter? I've read that some owners leave the C-Tek 5 wired up to the battery and then just connect to mains.
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

I use a Ctek mxs 10 connected to the tow electrics socket. You could also connect to the jump start terminals under the bonnet.
    I wouldn't use the battery terminals as you have to mess around removing the trim in the boot and make sure you connect the -ve to earth not directly to the battery post otherwise the battery management system won't correctly measure the charge in the battery.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • LucasG
    United Kingdom 

Battery recharge

Thanks, How often are you having to do this? I'll order up a tow socket adapter. Is the Ctek mxs 10 a better bit of kit?
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 

I use my car a lot but also run the FBH every morning. Modern cars often don't bother fully charging their battery so I aim to give it a 24-48 hour charge a couple of times over winter to ”condition" the battery.

The msx 10 can supply up to 10 amps so charges more quickly than the 5 but it also has a "supply mode". I use supply mode to power the car and protect the battery when the electrics are going to be on without the engine running e.g. caused by opening and closing the doors repeatedly when cleaning or packing for a long trip.

• LucasG
    United Kingdom 

Battery recharge

That's very useful info, thanks. I guess this adapter https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/13-pin-plug-ada...2797697424 should do the trick. I'll get the Ctek msx 10 as useful for the boat and caravan. Hopefully all as smooth running as it seems to be for you.
  • PRH
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Sd4 (180) HSE Lux Indus Silver

If I have had to top the battery up I have put the ctek and mains socket under the partially closed bonnet to keep it all dry.

I like the idea of using the tow socket because you can do it with the car locked but wonder what’s the best method to keep the mains socket and ctek dry?
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 

The Ctek is waterproof (IP65) just use a waterproof extension lead to reach it e.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Masterplug-HLP201...B004R255VQ

• PRH
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Sd4 (180) HSE Lux Indus Silver

Thanks JonM, I didn’t know that - I guess that comes under the heading - should have read the manual 😳
  • Formula_forde
    United Kingdom 

Hi, I converted my CTEK to croc clips. I just remove the battery trim cover and bring out the battery charger cable by the taillight. Just remember to connect the ground to the vehicle chassis and not the negative terminal. Else you by pass the battery current sensor.

Gone Oct 21- 2018 Byron blue, HSE Lux with black pack.
  • Leo disco
    United Kingdom 

I have a ctek socket hard wired to the battery . I then plug in the ctek lead and close the boot with the wire coming out next to the fog light. I have tried ctek external sockets on my cars and they always fail.
  • LucasG
    United Kingdom 

Battery recharge

Hi
    Thanks for all the info. I purchased the Ctek CT5 stop/start charger from Motorbitz (local to Poole). I've used the positive terminal and earth terminal under the bonnet as the charging point. There is a small hole just above the wheel arch (driver's side) which the Ctek connector fits through, The Ctek charger rests in a plastic tray and plastic bag under the engine protective shield (dry and out of sight). This allows the bonnet to be closed and the car to be locked while charging. All seemed to work without any problems. I'll see if I can post picture next weekend.
    Luke
    Cancelled visit to dealers - £165 to look at issue and charge overnight.
  • SD1
    United Kingdom 

Not sure I would leave in a plastic bag, I think they can get quite warm when in use, and perhaps rest on a brick or similar
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum