Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Drivers side heated seat

Mrs noticed on weekend the driver seat was not heating up.
    I had a look today, and the 3 red bars are not coming up on the dial. I then turned it onto the cooling function, and again there are no 3 blue bars either, leading me to conclude that its totally failed.
    Was working fine on Friday she said, when out shopping.
    Does anyone know if it maybe a fuse related issue? (Passenger side is fine though).
    Anyone suffered this issue before?

Car will be 3 years old in March, and we always sell just before the initial mot is due, as both dont have time to mess about with replacing new tyres and pads and mot centres.

Am seriously thinking of getting rid of it now as a few issues are starting to creep up

Only issue is that for all the mileage we are doing during the lockdown, it seems crazy to buy a brand new car, just for it to sit on the driveway, hardly doing any miles and depreciating like a lead balloon.

Another dilemma is do we go for petrol, diesel or hybrid ?

Even hybrids will be banned in the next few years i was seeing on the news.

Whatever we choose, we will be penalised.

Maybe best to hold out till after this mess is sorted out and keep it for another year, as only done 1000 miles in the last 12 months and a service is also due.

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

None of us, with the very odd exception, can justify buying a new vehicle based on our usage in the last 12 months. You might as well sit down at a drain and chuck your money down it.

As far as I can see, the next 12 months won’t be any different.

I can’t believe the car manufacturers are holding out for near the RRP either. It’s a bluff and unless sufficient mugs buy - and surprisingly there’s the odd one or two about, then they will be stuffed with that attitude.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Well lo and behold, the drivers heated seat worked fine tonight after my shift this evening. Not sure if it was an electrical glitch earlier today or an omen of things to come? (I still emailed the dealer incase it stops working again, as its still under warranty).

Darras, I totally agree with what you said. Understandable if you have had a rejection or cars a write off, but buying brand new with the prices virtually at full whack, is just mad in my opinion.

We actually purchased the 5 year service plan, so it looks like will be keeping it until then, and hopefully go for the D6 if it ever comes into production. We were going to purchase a new 2021 model, hoping to trade that in for the D6, but it will just a waste of money imo. A very expensive driveway trophy.

Does anyone want to recommed an extended warranty company. How good is LR's own warranty. Never had to take one out as always got rid at the 3 year mark. However all the horror stories i hear, am reluctant to keep it without a warranty. I have heard the warranty is not worth the paper it's written on, but surely that not the case?

I myself run a Japanese AWD, which is half the price of the D5, and alot more reliable. It came with a 5 year/100,000, whatever comes first, bumper to bumper manufacturers warranty. Only thing excluded is the clutch which is understandable. (Cars have been virtually trouble free apart from leaking shock absorbers which were replaced under warranty).

Am afraid to say LR reliability is nowhere near as good as the Japanese. I do know in some countries LR also offer a 5 year warranty, but why not in the UK which is its biggest market?

For the premium price we pay for LR, the warranty should be a premium one as well.

Some Korean manufacturers offer 7 years for cars costing 1/3 of the price. The mind boggles.

LR should take note, otherwise it may come back to haunt them.

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Not sure how much you use the off-road/towing ability. If you don’t, how about switching it for a Toyota Highlander? For low £50ks you get a fully specced 5m 7 seat SUV with a hybrid petrol. Appreciate that it doesn’t have the premium badge appeal.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

The drivers heated seat has failed again last night even though I had it on all morning. I wonder if this would be covered under LR extended warranty?

Last edited by Road Runner 2017 on 13th Feb 2021 12:17 pm. Edited 1 time in total

• Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

It's mostly soft roading that we do, or in my farmer mates field, but tow quite regularly. Not a fan of Toyota. We had a Landcruiser abroad which was fine but the engine and ride was alot rougher compared to the D5,4 and even the 3. Obviously demographics dictates what's popular and LR parts are near impossible to buy let alone find a dealership, as seems its all Japanese brands which rule the roost.
    After owing several brand new Subarus, if anything I would happily purchase an Ascent. Unfortunately it's only available in the USA. So even importing one would mean its left hand drive. Even though its an 8 seater and longer than a Range Rover its only drawback is that it can only tow 5,000 lbs compared to 7,500 lbs that the D5 can, but am just towing light loads usually.

20210213-105529.jpg[/img]

• Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

Road Runner 2017 wrote:
    Well lo and behold, the drivers heated seat worked fine tonight after my shift this evening. Not sure if it was an electrical glitch earlier today or an omen of things to come? (I still emailed the dealer incase it stops working again, as its still under warranty).

Darras, I totally agree with what you said. Understandable if you have had a rejection or cars a write off, but buying brand new with the prices virtually at full whack, is just mad in my opinion.

We actually purchased the 5 year service plan, so it looks like will be keeping it until then, and hopefully go for the D6 if it ever comes into production. We were going to purchase a new 2021 model, hoping to trade that in for the D6, but it will just a waste of money imo. A very expensive driveway trophy.

Does anyone want to recommed an extended warranty company. How good is LR's own warranty. Never had to take one out as always got rid at the 3 year mark. However all the horror stories i hear, am reluctant to keep it without a warranty. I have heard the warranty is not worth the paper it's written on, but surely that not the case?

I myself run a Japanese AWD, which is half the price of the D5, and alot more reliable. It came with a 5 year/100,000, whatever comes first, bumper to bumper manufacturers warranty. Only thing excluded is the clutch which is understandable. (Cars have been virtually trouble free apart from leaking shock absorbers which were replaced under warranty).

Am afraid to say LR reliability is nowhere near as good as the Japanese. I do know in some countries LR also offer a 5 year warranty, but why not in the UK which is its biggest market?

For the premium price we pay for LR, the warranty should be a premium one as well.

Some Korean manufacturers offer 7 years for cars costing 1/3 of the price. The mind boggles.

LR should take note, otherwise it may come back to haunt them.

7years sounds good but then you read what’s really covered.
    Sadly, most of the things that rarely fail in the cars life are covered, but most of the things that are known to fail, aren’t.

That said I was somewhat bemused that Inchcape Selected Used Car warranty doesn’t cover ‘rattles’ (it’s in the small print, sir). even if it’s in the engine compartment. I know cos I’ve got one and they want to charge to investigate and charge to fix it..
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Road Runner 2017 wrote:
    The drivers heated seat has failed again last night even though I had it on all morning. I wonder if this would be covered under LR extended warranty?

You said car is not three years old till march so covered under the normal 3 year warranty.

I am just going through the same and have gone for LR warranty, expensive but according to my dealer even if they reject a claim it will be paid by LR under good will

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Russell, i emailed the dealer last week with a few issues, so they have it all on file. Yes be 3 years old in March. Are you having issues with the heated seat as well?

What I was enquiring was if the passenger one failed say in 6 months time, would that be covered under the LR extended warranty, or is it mostly things which are the least likely to break down only covered. Sorry not had time to look at it due to work commitments, being on call all weekend.

The drivers heated seat is working again Mrs said this morning. Seems an intermittent fault. I took a video on Friday showing passenger side working fine and driver side playing up and emailed to my dealer.

I will have a proper read of the small print later today, but I think I rather pay the extra and get the LR one, for total piece of mind.

• Russell
    United Kingdom 

No I am not having any issues was just trying to answer your questions Very Happy

Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Ah ok it was just when you said your going through the same Laughing
    Thanks anyway appreciate it Thumbs Up

• Russell
    United Kingdom 

Meant the extended warranty bit Embarassed

• Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Sorry Russell, I misconstrued your message. I realise now what you were meaning. Thanks Thumbs Up

• Browser
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Fuji White

Reach under the seat the relays are there give them a squeeze
    they may be loose

2019 HSE LUX
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Thanks Browser, I never thought of that.
    Drivers seat was removed over 2.5 years ago, so it's a possibility, but it only started to play up since the cold snap we have had.
    It is working now. Will have a look over the weekend.

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum