Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• STOAT
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Scotia Grey

Drivers Door Glass Stuck

2017 model -noted drivers door glass did not retract fully into door this am by a couple of inches. Now stuck down in that position.

The glass twitches on activating the window switch with no noises otherwise. Tried lifting/wiggling the glass at same time no help.

Any solutions/thoughts would be gratefully received.

2017 D5 HSE Grey
  • Jemoss
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Hi,

We have a 2017 and had the same issue but with the rear right window. Took it to the local dealer and it was a faulty window regulator/motor - cost £400 in total (£200parts and £200 labour). Must be common as they told me over the phone that was what they suspected it would be.

FYI we managed to get the window up by clicking the raise button multple times in a row (from memory this overrides some safety stop feature) also had to assist but at least we got the window up!

Hope this helps
  • Paramike
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

hi yep this happened to mine as well 2018 HSE,Put drivers door window down went to raise it just got a clicking noise not good called landrover assist seemingly a well known fault.booked into dealers and replaced.
  • STOAT
    United Kingdom 

Thanks both.

Managed to get it up with some wiggling.

Typical - car now out of warranty as it does appear to be a "well known fault".

Just been quoted £450 all in at dealer.

Might try a bit of lubrication on the regulator first and see what happens.

2017 D5 HSE Grey
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Coming home from work this evening, I put the window down, so I could swipe my card for the automatic barrier in my works carpark.
    No issues ever until now. As I pressed the up button I could hear a squealing noise and the window lifted really slowly. Window was only raising about half way up and then automatically went down. Happened several times until I managed to finally get it up. Sounds like the cogs are grinding or slipping. Think I may have jinxed it talking about extended warranties this week. Thats the reason why we always trade in at 3 year mark. A few other issues are cropping up as well. At this rate I think it's going to be an expensive money pit. Roll on the downward spiral. I was thinking just get rid of it and buy a £1000 banger instead. Only plus is that the cars still under warranty. The mind boggles on a car of this price, and go anywhere capablity, why is stuff like this failing. The poor quality of the components is questionable Rolling Eyes

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Paramike
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

good video in regards to the insides of the drivers door
  • STOAT
    United Kingdom 

Thanks Paramike. Very interesting.

I suspect anyone who regularly leaves their D5 out in the elements will have this problem at some point > 3 years old - unacceptable if so for a £50k plus vehicle in my view.

Only 3 more door window mechanisms on ours to keep an eye on.....

2017 D5 HSE Grey
  • STOAT
    United Kingdom 

Road Runner 2017 wrote:
    Coming home from work this evening, I put the window down, so I could swipe my card for the automatic barrier in my works carpark.
    No issues ever until now. As I pressed the up button I could hear a squealing noise and the window lifted really slowly. Window was only raising about half way up and then automatically went down. Happened several times until I managed to finally get it up.

Exactly the same issue with ours except I was entering the car park!

2017 D5 HSE Grey
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Thanks Paramike for the video. Was going to have a look myself but seems alot of messing about, on my day off, so garage can sort it.

Mrs in her infinite wisdom decided to see yesterday if it was just a glitch, and I received a call 15 mins later that the window wont go up. It's done that a few times before she said in the last few weeks. Never bothered to tell me as she assumed it was just all the salt and grime making the screeching noise. It was obviously on its way out. Now window is stuck totally about 1 cm from the top. Just as well we have wind deflectors as its shielding all the rain we had yesterday.

Stoat, yes I agree. We payed £75k after all the extras we added on. A car at this price should not be suffering issues like this, especially when they advertise it testing at - 40c. If it cant handle a measly - 5c then that's an issue in itself. Both our cars are garaged nightly in a heated garage so I can't say it was related to the cold weather, plus I would not put the window down if its frosty, incase it damages the motor. Our FE broke down on the day we bought it with only 130 miles on the clock. That was £70k plus, and rejected within a month. Thankfully the Lux has been relatively problem free apart from the window issue, infotainment issues and door caps falling off even though they been replaced. Thankfully engine has been excellent.

My cousin lives in Australia where they say that only 2 cars can make it into the outback. If you want to make it back alive, use the Landcruiser. Speaks volumes. Am not a Landcruiser fan but they are rugged and reliable compared to the LR. Yes the D5 is alot more refined ride and engine wise. The Landcruiser reminds me of the D1 I had years ago. Engines very agricultural feeling, but bombproof..

I have a few farmer mates up here with FFRR. They never tow with them. They just buy used Landcruisers or Subarus, as don't want to damage their £100k plus motors. Just use the LC as main workhorse, towing horseboxes, and use RR for shopping trips Laughing

As Toyota LC and Misubishi Shogun have now failed in the UK market, they are lots of good deals to have on them. Looks like possibly a Jap 4x4 next or a German marque, even though none have the LR pedigree am afraid. I just wish LR built the cars properly as they show in their adverts, saying they were the the BEST 4x4 by Far. Yes, best at breaking down it seems unfortunately Sad

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Whippetman
    England 

Yes you sound just like me
    Paid £50k for used £75 k HSE Lux and just can’t trust keeping as just waiting for next problem to occur.
    3 years old now and even with LR best warranty the book in time to sort problems out is getting onto 4 weeks and lack of decent loaners results in me walking to new BM 5 series touring with good discount and px on the old mule.
    Very sad decision but as a long standing fan I’m not prepared to put up with it any longer.
    Good luck perhaps it’s just my bad luck but one has just one life! Whistle

HSE LUX, Aintree Green GONE
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Whippetman, like you, am a lifelong fan. My Grandparents had LR's as do my parents. Mrs side of the family is the same. I actually learned to drive in one, so am quite sentimental about the Defender, and the brand itself. My take on it is if its good enough for the Queen it's good enough for me.

We have 6 LR's in the immediate family all purchased brand new. My kids are all massive fans as well.

We have decided to keep the car for another 2 years as we initially took out the 5 year service plan, so will shortly be forking out just over 1K for the extended warranty. If it starts giving problems before then, it will be sold. Car has hardly been used in last year, and has barely been run in, so am pretty sure it will last till then fingers crossed.

I hope by then with all the electric range coming in the engines and build quality will reflect the price, and the cars being trouble free.

Tbh I don't want a Toyota or any of the German brands. My theory is they are good at making cars and should stick with that. LR has the pedigree as all their money is put back into development etc. (Mitsubishi even own Egg farms in Japan) Shocked

Am brand loyal so looking at the new Subaru Forester, which is half the price of the the other marques. My local dealer keeps sending me incentives for the Hybrids, and for me to trade in my current car. However you only get 25 miles on the electric charge. I too will be keeping my car after the 3 year period.

Anyway see how things pan out, but even hybrids will soon be banned in UK.

I believe in helping the economy, and helping British jobs, by being LR loyal, owning every Disco from D1-D5. We have also owned several other LR models in between, like the RRS and FL. I also try and support the local small farmers and other businesses, instead of the conglomerates, by buying British produce.

However with increasing prices, and poor reliablility, I may end up supporting foreign brands sadly, through no fault of my own but due to LR's incompetence. They have only themselves to blame sadly. The D1 in 1990 cost my dad around the £20k mark. Now the 5th gen has increased to more than triple that.

Rant over Crying or Very sad

• Ultra
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (180) S Loire Blue

Just had this same problem with rear seat passenger window. Car is coming up to 3 year old next month.
    Window appeared detached from mechanism so had to use glass suction cup to hold it closed during heavy rain.
    On inspection the wire rope going through the winder rusted and snapped leaving the glass attached to the sliders at the bottom of the track.
    The motor was working fine but unfortunately you have to buy the complete mechanism which costs nearly £200. I'm sure suitable wire could be sourced and a relatively cheap fix accomplished,If it happens again (Likely) I will try it and report back.
    The car has covered close to 40k miles and this is the first fault to report so all in all not too disappointed.

• Ultra
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (180) S Loire Blue

Photo showing faulty window mechanism and new complete part.

• Darras
    United Kingdom 

I totally agree RoadRunner. You’ve hit the nail on the head and I am a lifelong LR owner. In the past I’ve threatened to come away from the brand, but I always chicken out, but not next time.

I too will fork out for a warranty when the car hits 3 years, not because the car has given me an ounce of trouble, but because I can’t trust it not to and if it gives me jip, then it’s sold. Unfortunately you can’t depend on LR or their dealership anymore. Life is too short to get nostalgic over a tin can with an engine and four wheels and I can think of better things to waste the money on tbh.

I also don’t appreciate the fact the car has lost approx. £7k per year or put it another way, £1 for every mile I’ve driven. I could have got a taxi at that price.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Ultra wrote:

Photo showing faulty window mechanism and new complete part.

You would think that the wire would be greased or silicon sprayed, so as to stop it rusting, or made from an alloy which won't rust.

The AA mechanic said it's probably the wire that's snapped due to water ingress causing rusting. He has had several call outs to this well known issue.

I have had brake cables last longer on my bike, even when it was left outdoors, exposed to the elements. How water gets in a sealed unit is beyond me, especially when you can wade through 900mm of water apparently.

I think they may well be using cheaper metal for the cables. Seems such a waste that you can't simply buy a replacement wire, even though the motor is fine.

Such a wasteful society we live in nowadays sadly, with the consumer being backed into a corner and being forced to fork out alot of pennies, when an sure the replacement wire would cost about £5 Sad

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum