Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

It does appear strange, design a new car from the ground up for launch as a 2017 model and they didn't consider PHEV for it, you'd have thought it would have been designed into the car even if not launched then, but seems not.

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Windy Miller
    United Kingdom 

Now we've had confirmation that MY22 won't have any engine changes, I think it's fair to say we won't see any new engines until early/mid 2022 (even if they are announced in a MY22.5 update), so with that in mind if I were in your position I'd be weighing up the following:

- Do I need 7 seats?
    - Do I do a majority of long or short journeys?
    - Do I tow?

Then make a brand/vehicle decision based on those two factors with what's available. Having been through the decision process myself I need 7 seats for very long journeys, and no towing involved, so I resigned myself to the fact that the engine choice I liked(PHEV) wasn't the engine choice I needed(Diesel). I based my decision on what was available (Q7 55, XC90 B5D, Disco), weighed up the practicalities of each (rear row access for young kids etc) and the Disco came out tops. It might be different for you though. Smile

2021 D300 R-Dynamic HSE - Carpathian Grey.
  • adds58
    United Kingdom 

We do need 7 seats, We need a towbar (but for bike racks not pulling anything at this stage).We aren't doing short trips all the time but we aren't doing constant motorway miles. There is a reasonable mix of dual carriageway activity though.

I know on paper the PHEV is probably the right choice but we want to do an extended test drive to get a sense of the real world practicality.

We did have an XC90 petrol courtesy car a while back and we really weren't that impressed with it.

A petrol D5 might then seem like the right choice but based on the impact that has on resale and it just doesn't feel right.

My hope is that a test drive of both would help push us in one direction or the other. My feeling is that we will still favour the D5.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum