Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• JimG
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Indus Silver

Do all D5s with Pro Services have Apple Car Play?

Hi Everyone

New to the group and am on the search for a HSE Lux SDV6 with option to cast Waze (I assume via Apple Car Play). Are all 2018MY onward cars with Pro Services able to give Waze / Apple Car play functionality. I have read lots of the posts on DISCO5 but am still confused what I need to know what to look for when searching cars.

Also if anyone has or know of a low mileage well equiped D5 HSE Lux SDV6 or TDV6 let me know (elec tow bar, black interior, 360 cams). West Sussex based but will travel Thumbs Up

Thanks in advance

Jim
  • winmar
    Germany 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

No. I have bought a 2018MY D5 HSE (stock from dealership) and CarPlay was not included. Had to pay circa €300 for upgrade.

D5 HSE - Delivered! Smile & D3 HSE 60 Years Edition - preparing full tlc and MOT pass
    D2 Highlander - Gone but not forgotten
  • 2B
    Netherlands 

If you are interested in buying a car, get a print of "TOPIX" .

This gives you eg the month/year of the building of the car.

Registration only gives you the date the license was issued..

So if you get a "2018" , chances are you get an outdated 2016/2017 car that lingered around somewhere !

Now a hunch would be the simcard slot under the grip of the central armrest in front.

That slot is only combined with the version capable of wifi and OTA updates.

Then simply write in the purchase contract the car comes with all software/firmware updates

( updates due are mentioned in TOPIX, top righthand corner).. Whistle .

But also ALL subsequent updates in your guarantee period !

Some dealers mention apple carplay / android auto availability in the options listing,

This will sort it for you I guess.. Mr. Green

Manual (2019): https://www.ownerinfo.landrover.com/docume...c/G2134425

RR P400e hybrid Autobiography 2019 & MX-30 BEV
    D5 SD4 HSE 2018 Corris grey, Black roof/balckpack (SOLD), F-Type P300 Ultra Blue 2018 (SOLD)
  • JimG
    United Kingdom 

winmar wrote:
    No. I have bought a 2018MY D5 HSE (stock from dealership) and CarPlay was not included. Had to pay circa €300 for upgrade.

Annoying if I have to pay but I said I would not buy another car without the ability to run Waze for navigation.

Thanks

Jim
  • JimG
    United Kingdom 

2B wrote:
    If you are interested in buying a car, get a print of "TOPIX" .

This gives you eg the month/year of the building of the car.

Registration only gives you the date the license was issued..

So if you get a "2018" , chances are you get an outdated 2016/2017 car that lingered around somewhere !

Now a hunch would be the simcard slot under the grip of the central armrest in front.

That slot is only combined with the version capable of wifi and OTA updates.

Then simply write in the purchase contract the car comes with all software/firmware updates

( updates due are mentioned in TOPIX, top righthand corner).. Whistle .

But also ALL subsequent updates in your guarantee period !

Some dealers mention apple carplay / android auto availability in the options listing,

This will sort it for you I guess.. Mr. Green

Manual (2019): https://www.ownerinfo.landrover.com/docume...c/G2134425

Thanks 2B, really appreciate the info. Thumbs Up

The Disco that I am currently looking at is a Nov 2018 reg but dont have the VIN only the reg number but i will try and find a way of getting the vin from the reg. Too impatiaent to wait until the dealer opens tomorrow.

Any free Reg to VIN websites. All seem to require payment? Confused
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

in the UK Android Auto and Apple Car Play came as part of one of the updated (possible 19D?) originally JLR dealers charged for the smart phone pack, but it was later included as free. I got mine free in Jan 2019, the update that included it was I think late 2019.

If you ensure the car at SOTA (over the air updates) activated, then the software should be up to date and therefore include the smart phone pack.

Being a UK HSE, it should also have the SIM card slot and 2 UBS under the armrest, the phone needs to be plugged in for AA or ACP to work...and yes I have WAZE in my AA.

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • JimG
    United Kingdom 

Well according to the Topix site the car that I am looking at is a 2019 even though it was first registered 11/18. Question

1 outstanding campaign(s) for this vehicle.

N347 - SOFTWARE OVER THE AIR (SOTA) - INCONTROL TOUCH PRO

N347v3 - Software Over The Air (SOTA) - InControl Touch Pro Software Update

So I guess this suggests that it will be Apple Car play compatible?

Thanks in advance
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Model year (MY) change happens around the summer. There is usually a .5 version too.

I ordered a MY19.5 in Feb 2019, a slight delay meant this got switched to a MY20 and was built in July 2020. I then rejected that one, ordered another MY20 in Feb 2020 and it was built in July 2020.

11/18 reg as a MY 2019 sounds spot on.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

but the short answer is if the SOTA is activated (must be done by JLR or dealer) then it will either have or you can update the software to include AA and ACP. (my 2017 model registered July 17, made a few weeks before based on the date on the original tyres) had it from Jan 2019 and SOTA I think October 2019 which just happened one day not on told me it was activated.

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Whippetman
    England 

Peed off, another reason I’m off.
    Incontrol and CarPlay seems to work what it wants which is really unreliable .
    It’s now playing a track from Spotify but then cuts out or pauses on its own accord.
    Navigation quite hopeless so just use maps .
    Can’t wait to move on.
    Waiting list for BM 5 touring is now November 😟

HSE LUX, Aintree Green GONE
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

Interesting, I have very little issue with Android Auto, but I do only use it for playing Spotify, because Waze always thinks the car is pointing in a different direction to reality.

Only issue I tend to have is if I switch off the car and switch back on, the system generally takes ages to start up in the car then it doesn't recognise AA so I have to close it on phone and plug in again. If it is on for whole journey it seems fine

• Windy Miller
    United Kingdom 

@Mordred - in Waze settings see if the setting "Key map north up" is switched on. If it is, switch it off and that should solve the direction issue you're facing. Smile

2021 D300 R-Dynamic HSE - Carpathian Grey.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 

oh the map is fine, it just shows the car pointing the wrong way and going sideways, then at junctions the car never sits still jumping around and in different directions. very annoying lol

I stopped using both waze and google maps, because neither show on the instrument display or HUD, I just use the satellite view on LR nav now.

• eelpout
    United States 

Quote:
    I stopped using both waze and google maps, because neither show on the instrument display or HUD, I just use the satellite view on LR nav now.

that would be nice wouldn't it, to have Android Auto/CarPlay in the instrument display. Does any maker actually do that? ( not talking about any on the drawing board concepts Wink )

edit: on the original topic, my dealer added the Android Auto/Car Play update to my MY17 at no cost whenever it first became available. if I remember right, that update was the same one that included OTA update capability and I actually cared more about that at the time. Smile
  • JimG
    United Kingdom 

i have used Waze for years. Seems to work perfectly on VAG cars via Apple Car Play so can't see why this should be such a problem for JLR
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum