Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

Investigation charge

LR dealers charge for every investigation into a reported problem for cars out of warranty.

Does anyone know what happens if they fail to identify the problem?
    Presumably you still have to pay it’s not a no find/no fee scenario?

Do they charge for further investigations... ie for every subsequent attempt to identify the problem?

I am concerned that the small irritating (to me) noise when I driving, might not be easily identifiable during their cursory investigation, requiring longer in-depth dismantling and searching.

What’s the form on these sort of situations?
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Yes they do unfortunately and subsequent attempts. My logic dictates if you can’t find the problem you don’t charge, but LR have a different interpretation.
  • Ecosse
    United Kingdom 

If the car is out of warranty, why not take it to a good Independent? - their charges are much more reasonable as they normally have lower overheads and you generally speak direct to the mechanic so much less chance of the fault not being identified! Alternatively, take evidence of the fault with you - eg a sound recording, play it to their receptionist and make sure she can hear what the noise is before actually signing the car in with them.
    I've had such issues with main dealers, so always used to photograph the dashboard warning message (where applicable). and give them a print of it when dropping the car off, but have found that the Independent route is much more effective for non warranty issues! And worth noting that with the LR extended warranty you CAN take the car to an Independent & the warranty company will pay valid claims - it's just the 3 year manufacturers warranty that needs to be used via a main dealer)
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 

I do use an Indy for servicing. And they did listen to the noise. They felt it was possibly a transmission bearing noise but couldn’t identify the location having a quick look.

They are snowed under with work at the moment. They said if it was a major dismantle/rebuild it could take an unknown number of hours..especially if unexpected problems are encountered.

They suggested I get the LR dealers to do a fuller investigation and quote for the repair. As LR have fixed prices, if they say it will take 3 hours to repair, it doesn’t matter if they take 8hours...it’s a fixed price.
    And it MAY work out cheaper despite the Indy hourly rate being a lot less.

However, I don’t like the idea of the car sitting at a dealer for days/weeks while they scratch their heads at their own pace. Or keep going back for repeat charged investigations.

I will see what they say tomorrow and I may take their findings (or not) back to the Indy garage when they are less busy. Provided they diagnosis won’t cause more damage in the meantime.
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 

Much to my surprise the dealers ...
    1) actually heard the noise
    2) investigated the problem
    3) came up with a suspected front offside driveshaft problem
    4) found and fixed a loose heat shield that’s been rattling like a good ‘un, as well (i only mentioned it in passing!)
    5) booked car back in after Easter to sort the drive shaft.

An act of contrition would seem to be in order...but will wait and see if their replacement actually solves the problem, before eating humble pie over a dealers response.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum