Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Flinders
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Vibration Noise?!

Owned my MY18 3.0l HSE Lux since 27 March 2021 and so far it’s spent 24 days at the dealers and just gone back for its 3rd stay! Big Cry

The problem I’m trying to get resolved is a vibration from drivers side front at the right hand side. It’s had the problem since purchase. There was something loose in the drivers door so I thought it could be coming from there. They fixed the window regulator that had rusted/broken but this didn’t cure the noise.

I can’t tell if it’s dash vibe or engine noise. Its there in low rev’s and under load climbing up its gears the noise gets slightly louder and faster then as it gets into higher gears or cruising the noise goes away or is not audible to the ear. I say it sounds like a dried leaf/old sellotape in an air vent but the guy who keeps collecting and dropping my car back says it sounds like a tiny bit of air escaping through a small hole.

I also have the squeaky brake pedal but this looks like a standard feature from what I’ve been reading on. here!?

Has anyone had anything similar or got any ideas on what the technicians need to look at or do to find this noise? They have had 2 attempts so far hopefully 3rd time lucky! Rolling Eyes

18MY TD6 HSE Lux, Santorini Black, Deployable Towbar, 360 Cameras, Digital Dash.
  • Flinders
    United Kingdom 

Just an update on this the dealer now says they can’t fix what is not broken and the vibration noise on the car is a characteristic of the TD6 3.0lt engine! So it’s coming back making the noise! Anyone else have this in their 3.0ltr?

18MY TD6 HSE Lux, Santorini Black, Deployable Towbar, 360 Cameras, Digital Dash.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

No, but it sounds like the usual LR dealership response. Engines aren’t built to sound like something is vibrating or flapping in the wind. I am sure you could invoke the Consumer law Act 2016 and reject the vehicle having let them had an opportunity to repair it, being a time over 30 days and before 6 months have elapsed. They can only change you a nominal agreed mileage rate for the miles you’ve done.

I just give up with JLR and their dealers, use the law to get your rights and if need be take them to the Ombudsman and/or Court if not. Just don’t bluff them, actually do it! I’ve done it once and they capitulate pretty quick when you get serious. I think they are so used to people threatening them with a Solicitor, they just yawn and go back to their Latte in the full knowledge very few mean it.
  • Flinders
    United Kingdom 

Thanks Darras. I think it’s going to be a battle with them as they really are not interested and the constant BS they have given me from the start is shocking!

I’ve reported to finance company and raised a dispute but they have procedures and timelines to follow. Next stage is to get my car back then take it from there.

I’ve owned the car for less than 2 months and of the time dealer has had the car 29 days so far! They kept telling me they are working on the car even when I said the car had gone to sleep on my app for due to not being accessed!

Is your experience on the forum that I can go and read up on what you did to get issue resolved?

• Flinders
    United Kingdom 

Duplicate post

• Darras
    United Kingdom 

Hi, not this forum. I don’t mind giving some help. I am pretty up on it.

When did you buy the car?
    When did you inform them of the fault?
    You discount all the days waiting until they could get it in or days at the garage getting fixed or days they didn’t get back to you and if the problem wasn’t resolved and they give you the car back, they can’t count those days either.

I had my car over six months. I rejected it under the 30 day rule. They argued I’d had it longer than 30 days, but once you’d discounted days waiting for them to get it in etc. It was actually only 19 days that counted.

I argued with their Solicitor, who was their full time Group Compliance Officer. He was Censored useless and didn’t know his law. He would quote one thing and I would quote another, normally backed up by the notes associated with the CRA, which he hadn’t read. Anyway, we reached an impasse, so I just got onto my home insurance which covered me for legals in consumer law, most do and they paid for a Solicitor. At that point the dealership gave in.

If you look at the CRA 2015 , you’ll see what I mean. There’s a section relating to motor vehicles and also click on explanatory notes.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/contents/enacted

Or for easy reading,

https://www.theaa.com/car-buying/legal-rig...ce%20work.
  • Flinders
    United Kingdom 

That’s a great help thank you.

I purchased the car 27 March 2021 without seeing due to covid restrictions and was advised covered for 14 day return if unhappy with the car. Turned up to collect to find a scratched bumper. I was told would be sorted before collection but was not done. He reassured me it would get repaired as soon as covid restrictions released.

28 March FaceTime with the salesman showing him all the issues including the vibration noise the day after purchasing including other issues with the car. Reassured he will arrange to get the car booked in and in meantime to put some miles on it until they could get it booked in.

Finally got it in on 19 April. It started well with a call everyday from service department updating me on what they had done. I though wow brilliant! Until it came back to me covered in mucky boot prints, greasy hand marks, a door card half off and all my belongings from boot thrown in back seats and still having half the problems it went back for and more problems than it went with! It came back 29 April and I reported the issues again as soon as back.

Car went back 6 May, after a failed collection 5 May as the after sales manager ‘forgot!’ Didn’t see the car again until Friday 21st and driver took it straight back after the vibration and squeaky brake pedal issues had not been resolved. Car has remained locked since it landed back with them and today they say not repairing vibration as all TD6 3.0ltr D5’s do this and they can’t repair something that is not broken!

I have legal cover on my house insurance so I will contact them tomorrow and thank you for the info link so I will get on with some reading up tonight! I also need to look at GDPR as all the details of previous owner were left in the car, including finance details from when they purchased the car and addresses etc on the sat nav so that’s another issue I need to address! Shocked

• Darras
    United Kingdom 

From what you’ve said, the fault has persisted from day 1, therefore you are within the 30 day period. By claiming a short term rejection you are entitled to all your money back without deduction. If you had a trade in, the garage can not force you to take it back, you will be compensated for it at the agreed value plus the balance. You can not demand a replacement car. It’s also their responsibility to collect the car or make arrangements to have you take it back to them if that suits you.

If the rejection was more than 30 days but less than 6 months, you have to give them one opportunity to repair and they can deduct for mileage, It has to be reasonable, somewhere about 35p per mile. In this circumstance you can ask for a replacement car.

If you took finance for 30 days or more and then paid off the balance, you can revert to the finance company for rejection. If the vehicle is still on finance, you have to revert to the finance company and reject the vehicle to them. They can agree or disagree and for all intents and purposes are the supply dealership by proxy.

Remember you can go to the Motor Ombudsman. If you do this and they find in your favour, the garage has to comply with their ruling. If they find against you, it’s not binding on you and you can then revert to a Solicitor.

Anyway, I find it all quite interesting and relaxing. Thumbs Up
  • jakub90
    Czech Republic 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Carpathian Grey

Hi, I have the same problem. This noise is coming from the plastic wiper blade on the right end of the hood. It's banging freely against the pillar. Sorry for the English
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum