Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Darras
    United Kingdom 

Brakes

Don’t you just love it. I took the car in for its first MOT and it passed, but there was advisories.

In essence they wanted to renew all the discs and pads. To be honest they didn’t say it was urgent.

Quote, £1,643.13 The receptionist included it on the health safety check rather than tell me. No wonder. Rolling with laughter

Anyway, took the car straight round to a trained LR mechanic who used to work for that main dealer and now runs his own small workshop. He looked at the brakes and said the Tester was right and wrong. Yes, the discs had slight pitting, but nothing drastic or that would effect the braking and added the pads would last another 10k miles. He did add this is what they do as they have only got £54.85 off you for the MOT.

He will price the job up for me if I don’t want to wait until next year.

Anyway, be warned, don’t take a main dealerships word for it, get another garage to check it out. I have a word for such sales tactics and it’s not a pleasant one. At least Dick Turpin had the decency to wear a mask. Rolling Eyes

• Ian2206
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Loire Blue

Mine went in recently for some warranty work. On the health check video a cut was identified in the tread of one of the rear tyres. the mechanic described it in the vide as minor and clearly it wasn't very deep as a depth gauge tool hardly went in. The workshop report told me it was cut to the cords and needed replacement. Slime balls preying on the un-knowing.
    Still its maybe how they pay for the Italian marble tiles
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

I know and it shouldn’t have to be like that. I waited for my car today. I appeared to be the only customer in. Tons of staff wafting about, doing nothing much in particular. You know hold the same piece of paper in your hand and walk about endlessly, but I’ve never felt so unwelcome in my life. Some of the looks I got were like I was stuck to the soles of their shoes.

Back to the MOT, I noticed they put the full sized spare tread depth as 3mm. It’s never been used, it’s 8+mm. Rolling with laughter

Whilst I have renewed the front tyres recently and yes they recorded them as 8mm, then the back ones I didn’t and were recorded at 5.5mm today.

Fair enough, but they were recorded by the same garage a year ago and 7k miles earlier when I had a first service at guess what? 5.5mm. I must have self regenerating tyres. Joking apart, I checked myself and they were 5.5mm last week so a year ago was probably a crude guess.

Today, they also had my f/o/s tyre down as punctured, not repaired, same as last year when I did apparently have a slow puncture which occasioned at the garage surprisingly , but since then I had the tyre replaced and it’s not punctured.

What a Censored joke of a main dealership. God help us all that sail in the good ship LR.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Okay, getting the discs and pads done in a months time at the main dealership.

Just FYI, I had an Indy quote for the work. It came in at £886. Not LR parts, but equivalent.

Our of interest I asked for a quote from another LR main dealership, but just for the brake pads all round.

Front pad replacement - not replace discs - £506
    Rear pad replacement - not replace discs - £365

They said that if the discs were out with tolerances they would refuse to do just the pads without the discs being done. I’d be surprised if others on here with similar age/mileage cars aren’t caught out.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

If you're comfortable with a DIY brake job you can do it yourself relatively easy and save about a grand in parts and labor. The rears have some tricks but it's not terrible.

I sourced better aftermarket parts (drilled, slotted, rotors and low-dust ceramic pads) separately at a fraction of the dealer OEM price, and paid the dealer just for labor when I went in for a regular service. Still saved close to US$800 vs. the full dealer pads/rotors price installed.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Thank you, I’d certainly consider that, but I’ve got it covered. Thumbs Up
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum