Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

First breakdown

Had low battery warning message this morning, say start engine which was fine. Hitched caravan and done about 100 miles when charging system fault came up, and then engine overheating message. Manage to stop and kill the engine with loads of smoke from under the car. Belts are still in place but feel really sticky. Think the alternator is goosed and hope it has t cooked the engine. Awaiting recovery truck as I type

How easy is it to change an Alternator

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Not good, hope it turns out okay. You still under manufacturers warranty or extended? Keep us updated.
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 

Got the car to my local guy who has serviced my previous Discoveries, and maybe not the alternator. The anti-vibration damper pulley is at a strange angle with the drive belt half on and half off. It’s just touching the back of one of the coolers ( hope it hasn’t damaged that as well).

The rubber center to the pulley is broken up from what we can see. Now have LR got one in stock, or like most other things, stuck on back order.

More updates as it comes apart.

I don’t have LR warranty anymore, it expired, went with RAC 2 year extended warranty, so let’s see how good this is 😉

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Good luck with it. Strange problem I’ve never heard of before. I’d certainly be interested to see how it pans out.
  • John C
    United Kingdom 

Sorry to hear this. Good luck with the RAC! I think I singlehandedly broke Warranty Direct with our D3 Laughing

2024 Defender 130 Outbound Dynamic HSE, Carpathian Grey
    2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey, 2005 TDV6 D3, Cairns Blue 290K miler.
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 

So with it apart it does look like just the anti damper pulley is the problem. The center and outer parts are joined by a composite rubber, and this has basically disintegrated so the crank was driving the inner part round but it wasn’t taking the outer part with it. Just in front of the pulley is a small air/water intercooler, and if that hadn’t been there I think the outer part would have come off completely and bounced around the engine bay. There doesn’t look like any damage to this cooler.

So a new pulley, bolts, a new belt (which my guy has already got from LR at approx £170) should fix it. Just need authorisation number from warranty company on Monday.

Will keep you posted.

Al

• Darras
    United Kingdom 

Thumbs Up Sounds better than yesterday.
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 

So the shisters at RAC warranty won’t cover this as they say my policy is invalid as the car hasn’t been serviced within the 12 months prior to their policy starting, even though it’s been serviced fully in line with LR’s service schedule by the main dealer (21k or every 2 years). It was serviced last March and the warranty start date was May.

Only consolation is they are fully refunding the fee I paid.

Al

• Darras
    United Kingdom 

Not good news unfortunately.

I’d argue it’s been serviced in line with the manufacturers guidelines, but if it’s in the small print that you have to have a yearly service ……….

What was the bill for the work?

Where do you go from here?
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 

My guy fixed it, £309 quid in total, so he will invoice me directly, so not really that bad.

RAC are refunding my premium in full but not sure if I will go with another warranty company as even LR won’t cover some stuff ( and the extended warranty from LR isn’t really from LR, it’s an insurance company)

Al

• ThatMartinChap
    United Kingdom 

Thumbs Up sounds like a good result to me !

D5 D300 R-Dynamic HSE MY21
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Yep, I can see where your coming from. Good news at just over £300 for the repair. It sounded like it was more involved.

All warranty companies have small print and it’s pot luck if it’s covered or not. It’s the engine catastrophe that bothers me. I can hack ordinary repairs, but £15k plus for a new engine is an ouch moment.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum