Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Keith
    United Kingdom 
    2021 Discovery Td6 SE Santorini Black

TUNNING - D300

Hello
    Came across this today while pursuing my goal of a remap for my D300. i have seen a similar systems from a German Company. in basic terms (i think) it fools the eco, to give greater gains.
    So.... has anyone in D5 land used one? and of so, what were the results like?

Keith

https://tdi-tuning.com/en-gb/car/land-rove...g-box-chip
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Namib Orange

My 2 cents is to stay as far away from these "tuning boxes" as possible.

If you want a tune, get it remapped properly.

It isn't worth taking a risk with the engine!!

BUT... is 300bhp not enough?
  • Keith
    United Kingdom 

nebc100
    Many thanks for the resp[once, and good point!
    i have received a PM from another group member, that points out that improvements, but also mentioned the possibility of limp mode being activated as well.
    Yes, 300bhp is allot, and a torque of 650nm is excellent, but its the torigue increase that appeals rather then the power.
    My M5C, was well over 625ps, and 750nm of torque, but it was little use of road for some reason....
    A remap would be the better option, and given that the same engines are in the RRS and FFRR and are rated at 350bhp, then there must be the ability to get this from the engine without to much of ash issue, its just finding out how. Shame LR don't off this option.

Keith
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Namib Orange

I don't meant to be rude, but a D5 is not the same type of vehicle as a M5C.

If you wanted that type of vehicle, with that type of power, then you should have stayed with that vehicle.

Up to you, but I would not touch one of these "tuning boxes" with a €70000+ vehicle.

The choice is yours though....
  • Keith
    United Kingdom 

nebc100
    Not being rude at all, but also you have missed the point i think, fully aware the vehicles are different, hence why I've gone back to LR.
    My previous LR Sport 4.4 TDV8 had masses of torque, and its that what i miss. the D series can be tuned to circa 700nm, and it is this increase i am after, for towing and for when off road.
    Only considering the idea of a box, as it can be easily removed, but also I'm aware of allot of issues surrounding these, hence the question ...

"So.... has anyone in D5 land used one? and if so, what were the results like? "

Keith
  • Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

Just be aware that the ecu's will log these changes and will void any powertrain related warranty aspects. I doubt the transfer case will take that amount of torque, its very different to the t case in L405 & L494.

24MY D300 Dynamic SE, Fuji White, Deployable Towbar, full size spare.
    Gone 20MY SDV6 Landmark, Indus Silver, Deployable Towbar, 360 Cameras
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

I’d be worried about voiding the insurance tbh, but also cautious about voiding warranties.

Removing it is fine if you are able to post accident and if you did and the Police were called, you’d be tampering with evidence.
  • Keith
    United Kingdom 

Trevorb1
    Points noted, but i though the FFRR, RRS, D5 and New Defender all used the same chassis (90%), and power trains?? but i could be wrong.

Darras
    Warranties is the big concern, and the risk is something that needs to be considered. As for insurance, well I'm one of those people that simply declare everything, given my profession, so the insurance coy would know about any mods, and i would seek there approval before making these mods.
  • Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

Keith, chassis for them all are very similar, however, the actual driveline are different. FFRR & RRS are legacy traditional 4wd with mechanical centre diff to split the torque front to back with a lock up clutch to limit slip between front and rear. 21MY D5 & I6 Defender start with RWD and use a clutch to transfer torque to front driveline, and a disconnect module on front RH driveshaft to disconnect drive, in low torques, the front prop and crown wheel and pinion in front diff will stop rotating completely resulting in a purely RWD vehicle, all done for emissions / fuel saving. The clutch can only transmit a certain amount of torque to the front and will then slip.

24MY D300 Dynamic SE, Fuji White, Deployable Towbar, full size spare.
    Gone 20MY SDV6 Landmark, Indus Silver, Deployable Towbar, 360 Cameras
  • Keith
    United Kingdom 

Trevorb1
    Thats actually very interesting, and explains why i get a little spin on the rear wheels when pulling away from the house, as the entrance has loose road debris on it.
    So does this also explain the change in colour of the central diff when looking at info screen that shows the wheels and drive info?
    Keep the Tech stuff coming, although i may now start sending PM's with Tech questions.

Keith
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Understand what you say. I recall changing my wheels from 20” to 22” and the insurance took bad to it. I got insured, increased premium, but wouldn’t have done it if I’d known all the trouble it would cause tbh. Anything at all modded and they want informed.
  • Keith
    United Kingdom 

Darras
    I’ve had insurance decline to quite, and also try to increase my premium because I require hand controls to dive as my legs don’t work as well as most others and I use a wheelchair, on the other hand…. I’ve had insurance reduced because of the same.
    Allot if choices to think about, and risk to be considered…

Keith
  • FastLaneJB
    United Kingdom 

Keith wrote:
    Trevorb1
    Thats actually very interesting, and explains why i get a little spin on the rear wheels when pulling away from the house, as the entrance has loose road debris on it.
    So does this also explain the change in colour of the central diff when looking at info screen that shows the wheels and drive info?
    Keep the Tech stuff coming, although i may now start sending PM's with Tech questions.

Keith

My understanding is it should kick in the fronts within around 300ms once it’s detected slip but interesting that your getting this and noticing it.

I know where your coming from in general here Trevorb1 around torque, I get 850NM out of my V12 so it drives lazy like a diesel only more so when you want it. However not got my Disco 5 yet but the test drive impressed me. It does have enough power and torque in my opinion, not as much but it is a completely different type of car.

That’s a nice gain on that tuning box but I’m not going to mess with an under warranty engine. Just not worth the hassle and risk in my opinion.

Also I’ll be able to give up my parking spot at pump 2 at my local Shell which is a bonus as well. It’s funny most people see a SUV as drinking fuel but I figure it’ll use around half so be very economical Laughing
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

Keith wrote:

.... and it is this increase i am after, for towing and for when off road.

I tow a 2.1T Adria twin axle caravan. On the flat it happily tows at 100kph, on reasonably steep inclines it still does 100kph. Not sure that you'd need any more torque? As for off roading, my 440nm 2.7 TDV6 went everywhere I took it where others were left behind. Haven't done as much off road in the D5 but I have never felt it lacking power or torque.

I'd be ignoring the numbers, it's what you do with them that counts.

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum