Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• 2B
    Netherlands 

Apple carplay or Android auto

OK. I'm am "Apple" virgin.. .. kind of Adam-before-Eve, (phone tech then...).

I only had android, now a Motorola Moto X4. Android 9, solid tech. No Samsung bloatware..

But.. ...my D5 has 3G. And I don't want to pay € 150 for 3yrs maps and info, likely not to function with 2G.

Would be insane to buy a TomTom with a 12"screen in the car, wouldn't it Neutral

I can not get my X4 to work with the car and 'android auto' on the 12" dash screen..

No matter how I connect it, it doesn't "see" the phone.

First I didn't have the app on my phone, then it said the app needed an update.

Now I've been abroad and updated the app (illegal in the Netherlands, apple Carplay is legal (?) ).

And in my F-Type is the same story with a twist : there the car does not connect to Wifi,

so I can not use the X4 as a hub..

Start to get the inclination to both cars and by a VW.

All JLR infotainment is a nightmare...

RR P400e hybrid Autobiography 2019 & MX-30 BEV
    D5 SD4 HSE 2018 Corris grey, Black roof/balckpack (SOLD), F-Type P300 Ultra Blue 2018 (SOLD)
  • FastLaneJB
    United Kingdom 

Had a quick Google and can see a lot of people complaining about Android Auto not working on an X4 or needing quite complex changes to make it work.

Do you have a friend with a newer Android or iPhone you can quickly try plugging into the car to see if it works? Apple is easy as it's built into all new iOS versions so it's just plug and play, haven't tried Android Auto to know on that one.
  • 2B
    Netherlands 

I did try this afternoon, my son has an android 11 phone.

But the problem was not my phone, or the settings.

In the process the system asks to disconnect the phone, to let it set tot the settings..

Which I denied all the time thinking : " .. disconnect, I didn't even got half way connecting..".

So I might say not to think to highly of linguistic capabilities of the programmers writing the user

interface... Rolling Eyes

So his phone connected, after a long list of settings and allowing google almost everything,

nearly looking in my pants also.

But this was in my F-Type, which received all singing & dancing SOA latest updates for

infotainment and connectivity..

Still have to scrape a heap of courage to attempt the same in my D5 ... Sheep

So no apple for me.. ... I stick to my peers for the time being ( peers not a spelling error).

D5 SD4 HSE 2018 Corris grey, Black roof/balckpack (SOLD), F-Type P300 Ultra Blue 2018 (SOLD)
  • FastLaneJB
    United Kingdom 

Ah well that’s good to know you got it working in the F-Type. I’d assume it should be the same process though as you mention maybe you need a software update on the D5 also. Only one way to find out is to give it a whirl.

I’m an Apple person, I’d say your missing out but don’t want to turn this into a phone war Laughing
  • 2B
    Netherlands 

Ok, I assembled my hope & courage to try Androidauto in the D5 as wel..

.. and the carscreen says it can NOT connect to the phone. Same phone settings as in F-Type...

At the same time the phone says its connected..

Why does this feel completely in style with JLR..

Anyone knows whats on.. .. HELP .. .. anyone please.. Big Cry

• 2B
    Netherlands 

The after sales service manager pushed me to try some things. Finally I thought it could be cured by using my phone as a hotspot and make a wifi connection or BT instead of hardwired..

It didn't. But I did notice USB settings on my phone related to the cable, it stated 'controlled by phone'.
    I switched it to 'data transfer', which brought the AndroidAuto app to life on my phone, prompting me for changes in settings and permissions.

That it all worked in the F-Type apparently doesn't mean anything. Settings can deffer per car and need to be set sometime.

So now I have androidauto, but it doesn't look very eleborate. Bleak screen, only 8" or maybe less. Rolling Eyes

Maybe buying a 12"tablet and run google maps on it might solve it..

Last edited by 2B on 22nd Jul 2021 2:25 pm. Edited 1 time in total

• Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Buy an iphone 2B 😂

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • 2B
    Netherlands 

FastLaneJB wrote:
    I’m an Apple person, I’d say your missing out but don’t want to turn this into a phone war Laughing

Do you use Applecarplay ? Can you make a photo of what your sreen looks like with google maps active on it ?

Androidauto looks pathetic : about a third of the with is used for a 6"x 6" map...

• 2B
    Netherlands 

Equilibrium wrote:
    Buy an iphone 2B 😂

Iphone is 6"... Cool

• FastLaneJB
    United Kingdom 

Off Topic but have a BMW X7 on loan at the moment, don't have my Disco yet but CarPlay looks awesome on a big screen. I believe it should look just as good on a Land Rover or at least the new ones with an 11inch Pivi Pro screen but the old ones still aren't that small.

• 2B
    Netherlands 

Looks awesome..

For me the size of the map matters, so I googled it, didn't think of it before ..

I just compare what Google Maps looks like on the screen :

Apple carplay in a Velar:

Android auto in the same Velar :

But in my D5 (2017 MY) and my F-Type P300 (MY2019.2), the screen looks like this:

No I am very confused. I have android 9 on my phone. Is that the reason for the

smaller map on the car screen ?

I googled on, and found a 2020 video for BMW...

.. that looks like Android auto in my cars..

Can it be my D5 and F-Type were made by BMW ??? Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

• eelpout
    United States 

2B wrote:
    FastLaneJB wrote:

Do you use Applecarplay ? Can you make a photo of what your sreen looks like with google maps active on it ?

Androidauto looks pathetic : about a third of the with is used for a 6"x 6" map...

on my new MY22 you'll be happy to know (maybe... Wink) that Pivi Pro now uses the whole screen for Android Auto for Google Maps. Still not sure why they show the clock for 1/3 of the screen with ICTP, unless they just don't think the processors can handle it or something.
  • FastLaneJB
    United Kingdom 

My current M760Li is the same actually in that it doesn't use the full screen. If you want to fiddle with the car with Bimmercode or such then you can enable it to be full screen so it's there in the code, just not enabled. Newer BMW's though it's full screen like it is on the X7, same as it is on the newer Disco's.

Honestly no idea why BMW / Land Rover did it. I'm guessing to keep a set aspect ratio and maybe Apple suggested it needed to be in that ratio for older iOS / CarPlay. That's been fixed but older cars which don't update over the air are stuck with the old smaller window... Just a guess.
  • 2B
    Netherlands 

Thanks for all the input, but for me its a no-no.

This guy explains that the split screen is the latest and the best.. .. hurray for JLR..

He actually demonstrates it on a 2020MY F-Pace...

I find a split screen a nightmare. I want to swipe to another. And I'm not using google assistant either.

Both my cars have 'top-of-the-line' infotainment, and if its dead-in-the-water in 3 years..

.. I want a refund on both cars ! Consumer law says expensive gadgets need to be fully functional for at least 5 years. A 2018 D5 with 3G that was planned to be phased out in 2022 from 2003 onwards, doesn't comply with that !

Neither does my 2018 F-Type with 4G : thats dead in 2023.

• Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Google maps is full screen in ICTP and Pivi Pro on CarPlay (as are all others)

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum