Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• IanRR
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Corris Grey

Roof Box compatibility

Have tried and failed to find info on which roof boxes can go on the D5 and not interfere with tailgate opening. Any have any insight or links they can share. Am looking at the Atera Casar XL, or Thule Motion XT XL. Thanks!
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Namib Orange

I have the Thule Motion 900 (old version of the XT XL) and it fits fine.
  • teaman
    United Kingdom 

I have the Thule Excellence XT which also fits fine. In fact I’d go bigger next time, as I originally bought it for my Jag XF Sportbrake a few years ago.

I recently bought the Thule EVO 135 WingBars, and I removed the claw grips from the top box using T bolts now instead.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

I have an ancient Yakima Skybox 21 and it goes on the factory crossbars just fine.
  • MAPMA
    England 

teaman wrote:
    I recently bought the Thule EVO 135 WingBars, and I removed the claw grips from the top box using T bolts now instead.

Is there an advantage of using the T bolts? The T type crossbars on my wife's Volvo XC40 produce a very annoying wind whistle when we remove the rubber thing from the bars - that is, whenever we actually use the T bolts.
  • IanRR
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Corris Grey

FYI - I have the Thule wing bars and decided against using the T-track for exactly that reason...and want to use the rubber strips for carrying other stuff. However have learned that the new Thule wing bars (not necessarily the LR-issued ones) have a different type of rubber strip which you can press the adaptors through without removing the whole strip.
  • ThatMartinChap
    United Kingdom 

just fitted some new Thule wing bars last night - I can confirm that the rubber strip on them is actually split down the middle which means the T-adapter will just slide in without the need to remove or cut the rubber strip. (unlike my old LR bars on D3/D4 where I just cut the rubber to fit around the t-bolts)

It looks like a really nice solution.

I have not yet fitted the roofbox, but it should be fine by the looks of it. I plan to fit the roof box later this week so will post some pics.

D5 D300 R-Dynamic HSE MY21
  • mwsedgwick

Hi,

Recently bought the Thule Motion XT XL - looks and fits great.

Easy to position so the boot doesnt come in contact when it opens - mine is fitted as far back as I can leaving approx 5cm gap when boot opens
  • MAPMA
    England 

How far does it go over the windscreen?
  • MAPMA
    England 

mwsedgwick wrote:
    Hi,

Recently bought the Thule Motion XT XL - looks and fits great.

Easy to position so the boot doesnt come in contact when it opens - mine is fitted as far back as I can leaving approx 5cm gap when boot opens

How far does it go over the windscreen?
  • mwsedgwick

It doesnt go anywhere near the windscreen

Although it looks massive when you buy it as soon as you put it on the vehicle it really doesnt look that big.

I was similarly concerned about the size but can assure you the XL size is perfect for the D5 - could have gone even bigger.

Pic below for you -

• MAPMA
    England 

Awesome. Looks great! Wink
  • teaman
    United Kingdom 

ThatMartinChap wrote:
    just fitted some new Thule wing bars last night - I can confirm that the rubber strip on them is actually split down the middle which means the T-adapter will just slide in without the need to remove or cut the rubber strip. (unlike my old LR bars on D3/D4 where I just cut the rubber to fit around the t-bolts)

It looks like a really nice solution.

I have not yet fitted the roofbox, but it should be fine by the looks of it. I plan to fit the roof box later this week so will post some pics.

Exactly what I bought the EVO for, as the rubber strips stays in place, T-bolts slide easily between the two strips. It is more fiddly getting the holes lined up whilst mounting the top box. But once on it’s totally square.
  • ThatMartinChap
    United Kingdom 

Yes agreed. I notice also that once the box is taken off again, there are some small marks on rubber strip to show where the t=bolts sat. Hopefully, that will make it even easier next time.

In retrospect, I wish I had measured and marked the roof bars with the exact location before I fitted it to the roof the first time. That would have made it even easier Cool

D5 D300 R-Dynamic HSE MY21
  • teaman
    United Kingdom 

For reference, I use the mounting hole positions on the inside edge of the roof rails (I just centre the bars on these). Turns out they are 700mm apart which is exactly what the top box wants.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum