Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• FastLaneJB
    United Kingdom 

Equilibrium wrote:
    Ps. FastlaneJB, those Rubicon PHEV figures are scarily bad!

And pps. the wife would never countenance a hearse on the driveway (much as I’d like a RS6 before such things are history), so a future of intimate knowledge of service stations does indeed beckon!

Here's the link incase your interested, it is quite hard terrain with a lot of rock crawling so maybe a worse case example but regardless is still interesting. Skip to 23 mins in if you just want to hear them talking about that.

Be interesting what the R1S / R1T do in the real world in terms of range. I've no doubt technology will solve these issues of electric SUV's but had been thinking we might need until somewhere in the 2025 - 2030 type years to get there. Higher density batteries and faster charging speeds to make it viable, someone has to go first of course and seems it's Rivian for this type of vehicle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=391AsASvmi8

I've seen videos on electric towing range, it isn't pretty Smile Oh and I'll be giving up my local parking spot at Shell once I get rid of my V12 if anyone else needs it, the Disco I think will get me around double the range per tank being a diesel (V12 is 80 litre tank). Very economical car Very Happy

@Russel, I also saw that video by Harry earlier and quite interesting. It does highlight there's a point where battery vehicles just don't make sense. I had thought at least currently we hit that going to even a normal SUV or it's borderline, a digger might one day be fully electric with better energy density and fast charging but that might be 2030 - 2040 type years before we'd get there.

Wonder if a SUV with a certain amount of batteries and a tank of hydrogen as a range extender might not be a good idea? I mean we don't really have deserts in the UK but I'd not fancy trying one with a fully electric vehicle. Can you imagine how much water and food you might need to camp out while you charge it back up on your portable solar panel? Very Happy
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum