Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Jemoss
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

DPF full - dpf removal?

Hi all,

We have a 2017 plate tdv6 with 45k miles and while on a long drive the other day the amber engine light came on with the message "drive above 40mph for 20 minutes". Tricky when navigating country lanes. Half an hour later the red DPF full warning came on and the engine de-rated. Luckily we were only 20 miles from home so limped back.

Trouble is the local dealer is an hour away!! This is the second time it has happened so now considering having the dpf professionally removed. Has anyone had their dpf removed? Or is there a way to manually force a regen?

Most of our journeys are 30mins+ and we do a reasonable amount of motorway driving so surprised were having dpf issues!

Anyone else having issues?
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

Removing your DPF is illegal and you risk a fine if discovered, it is an MOT fail also, removing it may also raise the emissions and fail. It is more than likely that your cars electronics would recognise a missing DPF as lots of different exhaust parameters are monitored, I would be considering a professional clean either on or off the car.

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

Re: DPF full - dpf removal?

Jemoss wrote:
    Hi all,

We have a 2017 plate tdv6 with 45k miles and while on a long drive the other day the amber engine light came on with the message "drive above 40mph for 20 minutes". Tricky when navigating country lanes. Half an hour later the red DPF full warning came on and the engine de-rated. Luckily we were only 20 miles from home so limped back.

Trouble is the local dealer is an hour away!! This is the second time it has happened so now considering having the dpf professionally removed. Has anyone had their dpf removed? Or is there a way to manually force a regen?

Most of our journeys are 30mins+ and we do a reasonable amount of motorway driving so surprised were having dpf issues!

Anyone else having issues?

I have never, ever seen the amber, red, or green DPF light on my dash.

On your local drives on country lanes, you can boost the DPF temp for a passive regeneration by putting it in manual mode and downshifting a gear or so lower than the automatic would normally request - this will force engine RPMs higher, creating more heat, and help burn soot off the DPF. This will, of course, affect fuel economy. You shouldn't need to do this all the time - depending on how frequently you are taking short trips, you may need to drive this way once a week or so, and ensure you're taking the long way to give it the requisite time.

Additionally, disable the auto stop/start upon startup if you're going to be doing a lot of local driving -this will leave the engine running when stopped at turns or intersections. The more the engine is stopped, the cooler it will run. Cool diesels produce more soot, making the DPF do its thing.

Diesels like to be driven - if you're just puttering around town at low engine speeds you're going to see a lot of this.
  • SHARKYSHARKS
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

My D5 would not regenerate what ever I tried, I read the codes and came up turbo over boost took it to the local Indy which diagnosed sticking throttle body, which would cause both turbo overboost and lack of regeneration.
    Throttle body replaced and forced regeneration done and all good ever since Thumbs Up
  • Jemoss
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Hi All,

Just to follow up on this. Turns out the fault was not a blocked DPF but a faulty/loose connection to one of the dpf sensors causing the dpf to read as full. Took the Disco to a local independant land rover dealer and they found and fixed the fault.
  • andynoiseboy
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Kaikoura Stone

Glad to hear that you found a solution. Since updates were done at the 3 year service, I've had 3 occasions of DPF going straight to red/full/limp mode. No amber warning, no option to force regen.
    It's going to the dealer for a new throttle body due to sticking. Hopefully this solves it otherwise it's new car time.
    Apparently, the throttle bodies are prone to carboning up and sticking. Very likely that they can be cleaned but dealers don't work that way.
    We'll see what happens....
  • Talulah
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

Due to DPF issues I checked my throttle control valve.
    The butterfly was stuck in the closed position.
    When I took it off I removed the motor housing.
    As I did so the butterfly sprung back to the open position.

However, thinking this was the source of my DPF problem I took the car out to force a regen.
    No joy.
    I now have a blocked DPF.
    Further investigation and I have found the exhaust temperature sensor just upstream of the DPF is dead.
    New one on order.
    Pretty confident once fitted I’ll be able to force a regen.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum