Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

New caravan and trailer laws.

Any thoughts or opinions on the new caravan/trailer towing laws coming into effect in the next few days?

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

No.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Thanks Darras Laughing

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

This is a licencing change to free up test spaces for HGV licences/tests, is that right?

It had completely passed me by that there were caravan (etc.) specific tests. I thought you just hitched up and got on with it, all legal!

It feels like the appropriate pragmatic decision, but I would hope it’s temporary. You can probably tell I don’t know much about it!

Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Namib Orange

I know I don't live in the UK so I should probably keep out of this, but I think that it is a completely idiotic change.

Just because someone knows how to drive a CAR, does not mean that know how to drive a car with 3.5tonnes of trailer/caravan behind.

The vehicle will behave differently, reversing is completely different etc

The test was put in place to TRY and ensure that people that are towing are not putting other road users in danger by not knowing what they are doing.
  • John C
    United Kingdom 

Equilibrium wrote:

It had completely passed me by that there were caravan (etc.) specific tests. I thought you just hitched up and got on with it, all legal!

I just about managed to sneak in, but had I passed my driving test a few months later (January 97) then I would have had to take a test to tow if my combined weight (car+trailer) exceeded 3.5 tonnes.

The crazy thing was (not saying I agree with stopping the tests) was that it forced some people into smaller cars to tow a heavy caravan/trailer.

2024 Defender 130 Outbound Dynamic HSE, Carpathian Grey
    2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey, 2005 TDV6 D3, Cairns Blue 290K miler.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Equilibrium Laughing and yes. Thumbs Up

NEBC - failed miserably, the roads are a free for all.

Never mind trailers or caravans, it’s the Censored in camper vans that get up my goat. They should be dragged out of their vehicles and shot at the roadside. Mad

Last edited by Darras on 5th Aug 2023 3:20 pm. Edited 1 time in total
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 

It is interesting that you say "it forced some people into smaller cars to tow a heavy caravan/trailer"

Here in Luxembourg, the rule is VERY simply... if you don't have the E license, your are permitted to drive your vehicle + trailer up to 750Kg. If you want to tow MORE than 750Kg, then you need the E license.

In theory, the E license does not push people in to smaller vehicles, as there is still a limitation on what the vehicle is permitted (by the manufacturer) to tow safely.

It simply means that, for example, if someone has a D3 (MAM 2700Kg). This would permit that person to tow 800Kg trailer even though the D3 is permitted to tow 3.5Tonnes. If they want to tow more, then they would have to do the E license.
    If they needed to tow more, they could reduce the weight of the tow vehicle... for example:
    Discovery Sport has a MAM of €2450, so a driver would in THEORY be permitted to tow 1050Kg without having the E License. Note: The DS is permitted to tow 1800Kg.

So... in my opinion, the E license has not really "pushed" anyone in to a smaller vehicle or if it has, it has not caused any safety issues, but it HAS meant that a driver that has only ever driven a Ford Fiesta for their whole life, is not able to go out and purchase a Dodge RAM, and shove a 3500Kg Caravan behind it, and then rush off to the lake district with it, try to get round turns that they cannot navigate, and then be surprised when they cannot manage.

Drivers honestly SHOULD have training before they are let out on the roads with larger trailers.

My opinion is that it doesn't necessarily have to be a "license", but SOMETHING should be passed to ensure that a driver is capable of handling what they are driving.

I would not want to go out a jump in to a Semi and start driving that down the motorway. I am sure that I know HOW to drive it, but I don't have the license.

The same goes that I would not want to drive a coach with 80 passengers in it...

I have horses at home, and I often have to use my D5 for towing. That is the MAIN reason why I have had Land Rover vehicles (D2, D3, D5, RRS, FFRR) because I want to make sure that I am towing WELL within the limit of the vehicle. AND... I did my E license when I was 20, and so I know that LEGALLY I am permitted to tow everything up to 3.5 Tonnes, and that I have had the necessary training to know how to do it. The rest comes from experience.

Having said that... there are people that have been towing for 20 years, know EXACTLY what they are doing, but don't have the E license. Even though they are not LEGAL, I will not say that they should be BANNED, but I DO think that they should have some form of "test" to show that they are capable.

For example... would you want an unqualified person to teach your kids in school, or run you country (Oh... sorry... that is already the case!!) Laughing

Please don't grill me for these comments... They are only MY opinion and everyone is entitled to their own opinions.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Boris is reshuffling the Cabinet today, I hear Darras is a contender for Minister for Tolerance and Peaceful Coexistence Laughing

• nebc100
    Luxembourg 

Darras wrote:

NEBC - failed miserably, the roads are a free for all.

Never mind trailers or caravans, it’s the Censored idiots in camper vans that get up my goat. They should be dragged out of their vehicles and shot at the roadside. Mad

Sadly, I agree with you here. I find that the standard of driving is going down every year.

Is it our fault though that we are not educating the new drivers/younger generation well enough?
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Equilibrium wrote:
    Boris is reshuffling the Cabinet today, I hear Darras is a contender for Minister for Tolerance and Peaceful Coexistence Laughing

Dominic got the very job I was after, Hell mend him. Evil or Very Mad
  • FastLaneJB
    United Kingdom 

I don’t see this making any difference. I passed my driving test in November 1996 so already was able to be a menace with a caravan without an additional test.

Thankfully though I’ve been responsible, watched a YouTube video on it to bring myself up to expert status. I’ve also ordered a Discovery with all the computer chips assuming they can get their hands on some so it should be able to control the caravan snaking for me.

As a question though. With the D300 engine will I be able to tow 3,500 kg at 130mph or is the extra weight going to force me to slow down a little? Twisted Evil
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 

Fastlane... I hope you are being sarcastic!!
  • FastLaneJB
    United Kingdom 

I’m always deadly serious… apart from when I’m not Very Happy
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum