Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• maffffster
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Loire Blue

Seized Engine

Posting on behave of my friend who needs our help

So I had a call from landrover today to tell me that my 2017 SD4 HSE's engine has seized with metal swarf found in the oil filter (38k miles and a full service record, faultless before this). I was towing the caravan on the M5 at 60mph when we started to get a judder when under power that cleared when I changed down. We decided to pull off at the next services which were just coming up to see what was wrong when it came up with a warning "oil level critically low" and within about 2 or 3 seconds just cut out with a bit of a rattle. The oil was full before we left as I checked and it's still full now.
    Fortunately we stopped on the hard shoulder on the slip road to the services so we were out of the way and could walk to the services. Good job because it took 5 hours for a recovery truck to turn up, another two trucks and 24 hours in total to get back to Milton Keynes!
    Has anyone on here been successful in getting landrover to pay for the replacement engine and either pay or all or some of the costs? Has anyone taken them to small claims court successfully? How did you do it? What negotiating strategy do you suggest?
    Before you ask, no, I don't have warranty. I've never considered it needed for any car, and especially not one so new.
    Has anyone considered a class action?
  • Whippetman
    England 

Hello
    You have a pm!

HSE LUX, Aintree Green GONE
  • maffffster
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Loire Blue

Thanks - I’ll keep you posted. Makes me worry about mine but it seems all modern cars are rubbish. Car Companies need to be held responsible and shouldn’t get away with it
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Some car companies are responsible. Try Toyota, Honda, Mazda, Kia, Hyundai for real peace of mind.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Thumbs Up
  • Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

That is the same symptoms you get in a SDV6 when the crank goes. Just about to get my D4 back that the crank snapped on and JLR have replaced it without to much pressure and no bill. You do need the servicing dealer to deal with it though and all the servicing by franchised dealer . If you start threatening them with legal action it will be self defeating at this stage, they will just point out its out of warranty .Dealers are used to getting them to act as its a more common problem than than would like you to believe.
  • heavy_fuel
    Australia 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) SE Namib Orange

How did you get on with Land rover? Did they cover the cost?

I brought my SD4 2018 to Australia with me and just put it in for a routine service.
    Been told i need a new engine. At the moment.....

If I had bought it in Australia they would fix for free.
    If I was still in the UK I've been told they would fix for free.

Therefore thinking about shipping it back to the UK to get fixed. Can't believe LR would make me do that but until someone with some sense steps in, looks like it's my only option.
  • Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

Not an easy situation for you . Im pretty sure you should be able to get a result without having to ship it around the world . How helpful are the dealers being where you are ? I have found a lot is down to the dealer help you get! Failing that I would contact your GB supplying dealer to see if they can make JLR see sense and even approach customer services UK and point out the stupidity of the situation..
    Certainly if it had been a warranty claim there would be no issue with its geographical location , is all your servicing as it should be and JLR dealer? as on goodwill claims that is really helpful.
    Good luck ,what are they quoting you out there to replace it out of interest! Its a lot more common than JLR would like to admit too! SD4 and SDV6 same outcome but different issues.
  • heavy_fuel
    Australia 

Local dealer has always been very helpful. They were quick to act and get all of the information off to head office. They are now looking at other ways to discount the repair if I have to pay, etc.

Full JLR service record all at one dealer in the UK, this was going to be my first Australian Service. The car hasn't missed a beat until now!

Been hinted at about $35k AUD. But waiting on formal numbers. They've never had a situation where the customer has to pay so don't know the cost. They even had the same model in for a service the day before and found the same problem, it had the good will repair authorised within 24 Hrs.

waiting for UK customer service to open and fingers crossed good sense will prevail. Over £60k for a car that hasn't even lasted 53k miles.
  • Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

Hoping common sense applies, Have you contacted UK dealer you used to see if they will help with JLR .
    I would say dont even think of shipping back unless you have cast iron guarantee that it will be replaced . As I understand it in your part of the world LR are obliged to fix it which also applies in China lol. Here its a bit more fingers crossed although my experience at 5.5yrs and 67k was smooth once I took it to my supplying dealer. The local dealer wasnt at all helpful ,no surprise there, guess why I didnt buy from them Rolling with laughter

Just to add the price quoted is similar to UK

Last edited by Popsdosh on 17th Jan 2022 8:56 am. Edited 1 time in total
  • heavy_fuel
    Australia 

Thanks. Will contact the dealer I bought from.
  • Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

Please keep us updated with the outcome ,as im sure it may help others if only to lessen the shock of the situation .
  • heavy_fuel
    Australia 

Will do.

As it stands today. Land Rover are still refusing any assistance and I am unable to to reach anyone with any authority. All I get is: We understand but we are waiting for a response from management.

It's completely ridiculous. The engine on a £60k+ has failed at 3 yrs 11 month and 52k miles, despite being fully maintained by JLR in accordance with their requirements.

And despite their Customer Promise and Regional Warranty (albeit that came in a few months after I bought this car) they are hiding behind the cars location to avoid repairing. At the same time won't agree that if I return the car to the UK that they would fix it.
    So completely in limbo.

They also won't offer a loan car whilst they deliberate. So I'm without a vehicle at all.

We were big fans of the brand and the car until this happened. It's how a company reacts when there's a problem that makes or breaks them. JLR are not looking good at the moment.
    I just hope they grow a pair and come the the party on this one.
  • Whippetman
    England 

I have along with many others on this forum great sympathy for you.
    The dealer support no longer exists and that’s why I walked after 15+ loyal years of ownership.
    Best of luck.

HSE LUX, Aintree Green GONE
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

And why I warn potential new owners, but it’s not advice always appreciated.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum