Driver-assist pack
    Heated washer jets
    Solar attenuating windscreen
    Wireless device charging with phone signal booster
    Detachable towbar
    Advanced off-road capability pack
    20" 5 split spoke alloy wheels - style 5011 with satin dark grey
    Fixed Side Steps (aftermarket)

I've come from a Merc E350 Bluetec estate running 18'' on air suspension which was a super nice comfort setup and this report will inevitably have some implicit comparisons. Roughly 1k miles covered so far in a mix of A and B roads with motorway in the mix. No greenlaning or any kind of offroad as yet.

The D250 engine and gearbox combo is, simply put, brilliant. It's quiet, it's powerful, it's super smooth. I was really split between the D250 and the D300 when ordering, Land Rover reliability infamy ended up tipping me over to the D250 - same engine block and head but with less power which translates into less mechanical stress on all components. After a thousand miles covered I went to being split between the two to thinking why the hell would anyone want the D300 on a car like this. It averages low 40s on the motorway, in the 30s on school runs depending on traffic etc - much beter than I expected on this regard.

Comfort is a mixed feeling. There's no way anyone can even suggest the car isn't super comfortable on A roads and motorway cruising, it just glides along beautifully and outside noise is simply inexistent apart from some rolling noise from the tyres. It really creates that feeling of being in it's own enclosed world. My gripe is with B roads and low speed badly paved roads. Here the ride is harsher than expected - and my car is running on 20'' alloys. It's not uncomfortable per se, but it's below my expectations for this type of car, it's fidgety and unsettled under these conditions, something that an Audi Q7 for example, isnt.

The media system is OK. It has its weirdnesses, for example, although it connects to a wifi hotspot, the apps don't work unless the car SIM is used. The graphics are crisp and bright and I find the system overall responsive. Good hardware, poor software.

Boot space was a bit of a letdown, the shape, width and length is OK, but it's very shallow (the price to pay for the off-road capability perhaps). The e-class boot was much bigger up to the window line. On the interior though, it's a car that easily accommodates people and their stuff for a trip, the driver door bin can hold my 1,5lts bottle! There's no shortage of cubby holes either to store whatever you fancy taking.

I'm very happy with the car in general but I've ordered the pre-facelift 19'' alloys, will be coating them in dark grey satin like the ones I have and fitting Grabber AT3 tyres - I'm hopping reducing the alloy size will improve low speed ride quality and the Grabbers will improve off road capability (which I intend to use).

In hindsight..... I think if it was today and I knew everything I know now I would have opted for a normal S version rather than the R Dynamic SE and I would have added the rear e-diff.

Last edited by MAPMA on 20th Sep 2021 9:04 pm. Edited 1 time in total
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

A very fair and balanced review, cheers for taking the time. Agree with almost all of that (running a pre-facelift HSE Luxury on 21s and with optional adaptive suspension).

Seems like the MHEV engines have taken a huge step forward on economy. My SDV6 lives a largely urban life and averages 24.2 mpg from new. I had four consecutive tankfuls of 21.x mpg at one point.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • MAPMA
    England 

I've just upgraded to the 19 inch alloys running 32 inch AT tyres (255/65) and I think it now rides much more like what I was expecting from a Discovery. Added bonus - it's ready for some off the tarmac adventure.

Those sidesteps were a cheap option that worked out... well, cheap. They're flimsy. I'm thinking of getting this - https://www.wildbear4x4.com/store/discover...der-detail - I like the look, they'll serve the purpose of allowing me to reach the roof while adding some rugged protection (not that I'm doing any serious off-road but better safe than sorry).
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Which steps do you have at the moment?

2017 HSE now sold, if you own WF17AXN then you have a well sorted car!
    2022 Range Rover Sport P400e HSE Dynamic and 2023 Sport P440e Dynamic SE on order
  • MAPMA
    England 

These are the sidesteps. I do not recommend them - the review on amazon is mine.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B079DVL1DM
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Indeed they look very flimsy.

I fitted these: https://www.sidesteps.co.uk/shop/product-category/discovery/

They are very robust and I have also fitted them to a Range Rover Sport, believe others on the forum have fitted them as well.

2017 HSE now sold, if you own WF17AXN then you have a well sorted car!
    2022 Range Rover Sport P400e HSE Dynamic and 2023 Sport P440e Dynamic SE on order
  • MAPMA
    England 

I don't like the aesthetics of sidesteps on a Disco 5 - although I don't normally care much how things look like as long as they provide the required functionality - they reduce the ground clearance and are the first victim when I abuse the breakover angle of the car (which I will on occasion!). I'll go with the sliders as they will serve as a sidestep to reach the roof and will also provide additional protection to the car body. In my opinion, they even look better than normal sidesteps so that's a small bonus.
  • FastLaneJB
    United Kingdom 

I wonder how much of the ride comfort difference is down to the alloy size changing vs the tyres. What tyres did your car come with?

The ones I saw at the dealer back when I ordered looked to have Scorpion Zero's fitted. Looking on Blackcircles they look to be the only ones which are A rated for fuel economy for the Disco (At least in 20 inch sizes). I'd hazard a guess when they potentially are having to pay fines or get credits because their fleet average CO2 is too high that they'll pick the best fuel efficiency tyre over all other qualities as it probably pays for itself even if that's a slightly more expensive tyre. Even if it just shaves 1 - 2 grams of CO2 per car it'll add it over all of them.

Wondering what tyres older Disco's came with before these fines came into effect as LR might have have been putting slightly worse fuel economy tyres on but have a higher level of comfort. Who knows, it's just a thought.
  • MAPMA
    England 

The increase in comfort is probably down to the smaller alloy as the Goodyear Wrangler Adventure tyres have a bit of a stiff sidewall. Certainly stiffer than a road tyre. I'm trying to "cheat" physics by running a slightly bigger -taller - tyre (32'' vs the OEM 31'') and inflating them a bit less 30/33 psi (f/r) Thumbs Up
  • FastLaneJB
    United Kingdom 

Oh thought you'd got the Grabber AT3’s? You swapped them out to the Goodyear?

Bit disappointed they don't do the Adventure’s in stock Disco 20inch sizes and only the Duratrac. That would have been a good choice. Grabbers are available in OEM size also so the other obvious one to consider. Maybe I'll just leave it on the stock tyres, see how comfortable it is. At least until I maybe decide to go off-road at all.

Yeah no doubt the rim size drop increases comfort. Was just wondering if the tyres helped also. Like say 70% down to rims and 30% on the tyres for instance. If you look at the reviews of the newer MY cars seen it said the ride is a bit more harsh than before. Maybe that's the standard adaptive dynamics but maybe it's down to tyres being picked more for fuel economy than comfort now.
  • MAPMA
    England 

My intention was to get the Grabbers and keep the OEM 31'' wheel size (255/60/R19) but I couldn't find those anywhere. I've just checked and they seem to be available in some places now but a couple of months ago they didn't even have an ETA for stock. All the other options of that size were road tyres, not AT. Moving to 32'' (255/65/R19) I had both the Duratracs and the Adventure available, the former being way too extreme for what I needed I've opted for the latter. I'm very happy with the choice so far and the tyre doesn't touch any part of the car even on locked access heigh (car parks etc). This is the same tyre size as the 19'' rim Defenders use so hopefully there will be more options in future.
  • FastLaneJB
    United Kingdom 

Yeah it’s kind of annoying that the Disco has a slightly different tyres size from the Defender. A lot more choices at Defender sizes for sure. I get it’s a more off-road still vehicle but the Disco has also always sat in that space well.

Thanks for the info though.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum