Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• BSE Disco
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 SE Loire Blue

Leigh Day emissions claim

I've started to see adverts from the law firm Leigh Day encouraging people to sign up for group legal claims in respect of emissions cheat devices. They're obviously targeted at me as they refer to Land Rover, but looking at their website they're certainly casting their net wide - as well as the obvious VW Group they seem to have claims against JLR, BMW, Ford, Vauxhall, Volvo, Nissan and more.

At first I thought this was a scam, but it turns out Leigh Day are a legitimate legal firm. However, this looks like a massive fishing expedition to me. If there was any evidence of more companies than the VW group using emissions test cheating software surely it would have emerged by now?

Has anyone signed up for this or have any other knowledge about it?
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

I saw this months ago. To me, it seems to be ambulance chasing at its worst. I didn't buy a discovery because it claimed to have low emissions, seriously who would buy a 2.5 tonne 3L V6 4x4 if emissions were their priority? Even if LR fiddled the test to get better results, what difference does it make to the buyer?

The ambulance chasers are just trying to dangle the carrot of compensation in front of owners to see how much they can take as their cut. They certainly don't care about the environment.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • BSE Disco
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 SE Loire Blue

Yes that's a very good point. I didn't agonise over a few grammes of CO2 per km when I ordered my car and I can't imagine many other Land Rover purchasers did either!
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

I have to believe the scrutiny that's been applied to VAG, MB, FCA, and Bosch has extended to any diesel engine currently on the road. VAG's $40B judgment in the US and the accelerating exclusion-by-legislation of diesel engines in UK and EU means there's a lot of potential money out there, if there was something to find.

I received $29K for my 7-year old, base model 100k-plus-mile VW Touareg TDI, and I only paid $42k for it. Those lawyers got an even bigger payday. I communicated directly with the US Environmental Protection Agency office responsible for certifying engines during that whole thing, because I really wanted a diesel Discovery and was ready to put down a pre-production deposit. Certification took them a good bit longer than it otherwise should have as they crossed their t's in that process.

If there were more shenanigans afoot, I'd have to believe they would already have been out.
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

legitimate legal firm or not, doesn't mean they have integrity!
    I suspect as JonM mentions, that they are trawling for clients, suggesting that large ammounts of compensation will be paid, Whereas in reality they' re more interested in lining their own pockets,
    I don't know anyone that bought their car on the basis of CO emissions, MPG maybe but not emmisions.

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • Craigp
    England 

Often thought about this, well not that often. Surely the only looses in this are the government through lost tax revenue due to the car being placed in a lower emissions band. The owner has therefore gained monetarily due to a lower tax band payment. Obviously if he bought his six cylinder twin turbo car thinking he was saving the planet well that's another matter.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum