Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Mack247
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Santorini Black

Help, bonnet not opening

Hi all. This happened me before but eventually corrected itself but I am struggling to get the bonnet open this morning. The catch release inside the car works but the bonnet only lifts on one side (the passenger side). I can't get it lifted enough to get to the middle release. Worried trying to use a screwdriver may dent the bonnet and even if I can access the middle release, would I cause more damage if the bonnet is unreleased on the other side? Any help much appreciated.
  • Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

Mack247, how old is your car, there was an issue on early cars where cable was slightly too long and would only disengage 1 of the 2 catches, I believe there was a TSB for the issue, it might be possible to release the lever in the passenger footwell and use a pair of grips to pull cable some more, might also be worth getting someone to lean gently on the bonnet above the catch that won't release as the cable is pulled to relieve some of the pressure on the latch.

24MY D300 Dynamic SE, Fuji White, Deployable Towbar, full size spare.
    Gone 20MY SDV6 Landmark, Indus Silver, Deployable Towbar, 360 Cameras
  • Mack247
    United Kingdom 

Thanks Trevor. It's a 17 reg so one of the earliest cars. I'll try both of these and will report back. Does a TSB mean that they should have fixed this during one of the previous services?
  • Mack247
    United Kingdom 

Trevor you're a genius. Having spent half an hour trying to get it open the gentle lean approach worked first time! Thank you very much.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

mine is a 2017, the cable had stretched this time last year, was adjusted by dealer under warranty. Believe JLR try to avoid the cost of replacing the cable. Downside, 12 months on and out of JLR original warranty and it now doesn't open every time, so is headed for not opening at all once again. Guess I will have to pay for the cable to be replaced in the next few months....

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Whippetman
    England 

My 17 in warranty was replaced this year.
    New cable fitted as it just wouldn’t open.
    Why does this £75k car have so many problems.?
    You definitely need the extended LR warranty, so that is why mine is going ASAP..
    Looks great, drives great but back up very poor.

HSE LUX, Aintree Green GONE
  • Blackfly
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

had mine replaced last year (2017 model). there was/is a service bulletin on Topix

F50, Fourtack, LR3 and now..............D5 HSE TDV6
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Tried to open the bonnet this morning, to fill up with water and screenwash, as Mrs is away tomorrow, but it won't open. No resistance like before, nothing.

Am sure i could feel the cable before. Never heard the wire snapping or anything. Tried thumping the bonnet (old Ford method) in the hope that it may release, but nothing.
    Is there any other way to open it?

She is not happy as doesn't want 3 points and £100 fine if the bottle is empty. Light just came on so still a bit left, but not enough for a long journey. Time to get rid of it she thinks. Am wondering what if screenwash bottle is full, but frozen. Does that result in a fine and points?

It's like the scenario about clean number plates. I always ensure that they are clean before a long journey, but with all the snow / slush, it can't be helped them getting dirty throughout the journey and getting a fine. Totally unfair in my opinion.

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Whippetman
    England 

Bonnet release cable needed replacing on my 17 HSE LUX under warranty.
    Yes PIA job at stealers but having to wait 2 weeks to get it booked in.
    Really couldn’t make it up!

HSE LUX, Aintree Green GONE
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

FFS really that's a joke. Just as I thought. Oh well at this rate I think we will be chopping it in. She can use my car in the interim. How can you trust a car which is apparently tested in both weather extremes. That is one of the reasons that we bought it due to the harsh winters up in Scotland. Feel let down spending all this money for this to happen. Already had a window mechanism replaced, which is also making a noise Rolling Eyes

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Used to be a way of manipulating the bonnet release cable via in between the vents in the front grille on a D3/4, not sure if it’s applicable to the D5 that said.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Cheers Darras, that's what I was hinting at Thumbs Up

• Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Update -: Manged to open the bonnet this morning, just by pulling the lever in quick succession several times. Sprayed some WD40 onto the bonnet catch, and also down into the latch itself behind the grill. Fingers crossed this has done the trick.

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum