Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• FenAir
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

22" off road tyres

Hi, has anyone had experience of Verdi wintertrac 285/40/22
    I'm waiting on 4 pirelli Scorpion Winter tyres at an eye watering price, but there is a shortage in Europe and so I've been hanging, but I'm down to the wear bars so need to find an alternative, I do a lot o miles and 5% is serious off road, ploughed field, quarries etc , as mine is a commercial and I service machines . But 22" means hardly anything with some tread to get you moving on anything but wet grass... Ideas anyone based upon real experience not what you can Google as there is some cheap junk that I won't fancy motorway speeds with a kerbside 2800kg.
    Cheers Pat.

Pat Foster
    www.fenair.co.uk
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Namib Orange

I know it isn't much help, but this is exactly why I got rid of my 22" rims and "downgraded" to 20" rims where I can get proper off-road AT tires.
  • FenAir
    United Kingdom 

Yes its been considered but that means 5 x 20" wheels + 5 x 20" tyres Cost £ 3000 once VAT, Fitting, Balancing, Diagnostic charge to change the Transmission ECU configuration to the correct rolling radius, and after all that they will still wear out in less that 20,000 miles so its kind of dead money, then when I come to sell in three years the first thing the dealer will say is , its a HSE where are the HSE wheels? build list says 22" wheels... smaller wheels reduce the value, so i would have to store my 22's until sale, but then have a spare set of wheels with both sets needing new tyres... is this whats ment by " catch 22" Laughing

It is my work vehicle, so its not a hobby and i cant justify spending near ten weeks wages on, plus justification to the tax man if investigated.. will have to put up with track day tyres that are on the market, you cant but wonder at the mentality of JLR , they market a go anywhere commerciual vehicle / van yet fit tracksuit baseball cap wearing man wheels and tyres, why not 21" on the commercial of which there is loads of all terrain tyres availble.
    I will say after owning a discovery from the Mk1 in 1996 to the MK5 today, the 5 has to be considered a step backwards in design for a Utility vehicle, of which is what built Land Rover , not bling passenger cars it has to be said, there is less space due to body shell shape, it rolls in at the top , rakes in at the back and the load deck is rampped up towards the front looses so much storage space its unreal, and moving the battery into the rear inside has taken so much space up and they left a massive 500mm of vacant space in the engine bay infront ofd the engine!!, nothing makes sense in this design, the D4 was a brilliant truck and TATA / JLR have rueined the D5 by trying to make it look like the Freelander 3 ( sorry Discovery Sport) which is another excuse at being a BMW X1 /3 rival with a engine made of tin foil... As a life long Land rover owner with range rover L405 SDV8 and a D5 i am struggling to find where JLR are going other than they have become just another sheep, waiting for BMW or Merc to engineer something and then trying to copy it whilst claiming its a multi purpouse vehicle manufacturer..
    Had the Defender been designed with the D3/4 split with up and over tailgate that could be spilt like the D4 or opened as one like the D5 then that would make the defender a brillaint work machine, but at £70,000 for something with leather interior to last 10 years and decent LED lights and infotainment with Air suspension, thats not a work vehicle price tag apart from only the very few business that again appeal to JLR's new idiology of " Looking Rich not Doing any Work"
    Shame .. the beginning of the end, yet another British company riding on a reputaion they had 30 years ago, hoping it will last forever... Yawn

Pat Foster
    www.fenair.co.uk
  • Whippetman
    England 

Time to say good bye pronto!

HSE LUX, Aintree Green GONE
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Yep, I agree. If you’re not happy, get shot, simples.
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

General grabber AT3 are available in size 275/45R22 and would be a direct fit on your 22" wheels.
    https://www.4x4at.com/275-45-r20-general-grabber-at3-tyre-110h-xl

I run the 20" version all year. They're great on road, good off road and have the 3PMS winter rating. The onl downside of 22” version would be the risk of sidewall damage when off road.

If I had 22' wheels, they would be my choice.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

FenAir wrote:
    Yes its been considered but that means 5 x 20" wheels + 5 x 20" tyres Cost £ 3000 once VAT, Fitting, Balancing, Diagnostic charge to change the Transmission ECU configuration to the correct rolling radius, and after all that they will still wear out in less that 20,000 miles so its kind of dead money, then when I come to sell in three years the first thing the dealer will say is , its a HSE where are the HSE wheels? build list says 22" wheels... smaller wheels reduce the value, so i would have to store my 22's until sale, but then have a spare set of wheels with both sets needing new tyres... is this whats ment by " catch 22" Laughing

It is my work vehicle, so its not a hobby and i cant justify spending near ten weeks wages on, plus justification to the tax man if investigated.. will have to put up with track day tyres that are on the market, you cant but wonder at the mentality of JLR , they market a go anywhere commerciual vehicle / van yet fit tracksuit baseball cap wearing man wheels and tyres, why not 21" on the commercial of which there is loads of all terrain tyres availble.
    I will say after owning a discovery from the Mk1 in 1996 to the MK5 today, the 5 has to be considered a step backwards in design for a Utility vehicle, of which is what built Land Rover , not bling passenger cars it has to be said, there is less space due to body shell shape, it rolls in at the top , rakes in at the back and the load deck is rampped up towards the front looses so much storage space its unreal, and moving the battery into the rear inside has taken so much space up and they left a massive 500mm of vacant space in the engine bay infront ofd the engine!!, nothing makes sense in this design, the D4 was a brilliant truck and TATA / JLR have rueined the D5 by trying to make it look like the Freelander 3 ( sorry Discovery Sport) which is another excuse at being a BMW X1 /3 rival with a engine made of tin foil... As a life long Land rover owner with range rover L405 SDV8 and a D5 i am struggling to find where JLR are going other than they have become just another sheep, waiting for BMW or Merc to engineer something and then trying to copy it whilst claiming its a multi purpouse vehicle manufacturer..
    Had the Defender been designed with the D3/4 split with up and over tailgate that could be spilt like the D4 or opened as one like the D5 then that would make the defender a brillaint work machine, but at £70,000 for something with leather interior to last 10 years and decent LED lights and infotainment with Air suspension, thats not a work vehicle price tag apart from only the very few business that again appeal to JLR's new idiology of " Looking Rich not Doing any Work"
    Shame .. the beginning of the end, yet another British company riding on a reputaion they had 30 years ago, hoping it will last forever... Yawn

Why would you want to change the transmission ECU diagnostic ??? The rolling radius is the same as the profile changes. Take a look LR fit anything from 19" to 22" to the D5 and there are no changes to any of the ECU's it always been the same with D3.D4 and D5. Some even run 20" on car with 19" or 22" as spare with no issues,
    Simple option is but a cheap set of wheels and tyres off Ebay at the size you want and put them on keeping the 22" in the shed for when you sell or summer time as I have done on the last 5 Discoveries.

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • FenAir
    United Kingdom 

You dont change any ecu, you configure the transmission and transfer case CU for the wheel size fitted, else it can cause issues with TR2 / DSC/HDC/ABS
    belive it or not I've been in the motor trade for 37 years, yes you can slap what you want on based upon whats fitted on other variants and models but I have built a business based upon a simple ideal, thats, if you are going to do something do it right, or at least try.. Laughing
    there is a option choice for wheel sizes, so one makes the judgment if its there it must be something however trivial that is required to get the best performance and longevity out of the vehicle, no good paying for extended warranty to get a transfer box issue for a eagle eyed fitter to spot you are on 19" wheels and the transmission is configured for 22" , that bit of trivial info could cost £4000 + even if it made no difference what so ever ..

Pat Foster
    www.fenair.co.uk
  • FenAir
    United Kingdom 

JonM wrote:
    General grabber AT3 are available in size 275/45R22 and would be a direct fit on your 22" wheels.
    https://www.4x4at.com/275-45-r20-general-grabber-at3-tyre-110h-xl

I run the 20" version all year. They're great on road, good off road and have the 3PMS winter rating. The onl downside of 22” version would be the risk of sidewall damage when off road.

If I had 22' wheels, they would be my choice.

Nice one, but as you say 275/45/22 is the biggest size unfortunatley & available on back order and fitted is 285 /40/22 so the rim will be unprotected by the tyre side wall and the height is a touch bigger so changes the rolling radius fractionally ( which i can change via diagnostic if i wanted to be picky) , no issues as all four are to be replaced but should you get a flat differnt rolling radius on the same axel ( 40 spare tyre Vs 45) so you need 5, as if you had a smash on your journey and someone was hurt, that would be a get out of jail card for the insurance company if again someone was eagle eyed during post accident investigation ..

Using the rim / tyre chart for the 10" wheel running a 45 side wall would require a 295 width so significantly narrower is the 275 once fitted..

My range rover runs the same size wheels, and when i got it this summer the trader had put 275/45/22 tyres on it to get it a MOT ( falls into BMW / SUV tyre size and you can get cheapo chinese ones for just over the £100 each) it was suprising how far in from the rim they sat, looked like a drift car... Laughing Laughing

With the weight you need a quality XL load tyre else you are on your side hammering through north yorkshire, I will have to fit scorpion verde as on, when some become available locally again, just would have been nice to get something like your grabbers as that would be my choice, but in and out of granite quarries repairing machines , you know what will happen to thoses rims on the first trip, guaranteed... Laughing Thanks anyway Pat

Pat Foster
    www.fenair.co.uk
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

An even better option.......

https://www.disco4.com/forum/sale-gg-at3-s...98434.html

only a set of 4 but correct size and spec for a D5. You could still use your existing 22" as a temporary spare, get a matching single wheel 20" wheel off ebay or a space saver spare.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 

FenAir wrote:
    You dont change any ecu, you configure the transmission and transfer case CU for the wheel size fitted, else it can cause issues with TR2 / DSC/HDC/ABS
    belive it or not I've been in the motor trade for 37 years, yes you can slap what you want on based upon whats fitted on other variants and models but I have built a business based upon a simple ideal, thats, if you are going to do something do it right, or at least try.. Laughing
    there is a option choice for wheel sizes, so one makes the judgment if its there it must be something however trivial that is required to get the best performance and longevity out of the vehicle, no good paying for extended warranty to get a transfer box issue for a eagle eyed fitter to spot you are on 19" wheels and the transmission is configured for 22" , that bit of trivial info could cost £4000 + even if it made no difference what so ever ..

I cannot comment or your response with regards to the changes but was in motor trade as well and would have agreed with you until I brought a LR then found a lot of things are very different. If you go to a main dealer they will and do swap wheels around for different sizes with NO change to any settings, further more there are many on here and the D3/4 forum who have also done this for many years without any issues.

Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Namib Orange

I have never seen any settings in any of the ECUs to set the wheel size.

The GAP IID tool doesn't offer that setting with (albeit for the D3/D4, RRS etc).

I don't think that LR set the wheel size in the ECUs or transfer case etc.
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 

My thought as well

• al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

As you change (go up or down) wheel diameters you drop down or go up in tyre profile, so the overall size doesn’t change, so there are no settings to change at all.

Done this time and time again on D3, D4 and D5.

Russell’s advice on a cheap set of 19’s or 20’s with off road tyres is the easiest way to go.

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • MAPMA
    England 

al cope wrote:
    As you change (go up or down) wheel diameters you drop down or go up in tyre profile, so the overall size doesn’t change, so there are no settings to change at all.

Well, that depends on what you try to put on, doesn't it? You can opt to increase the diameter of the wheels to have a bit more sidewall - useful for offroad and also improves onroad comfort.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum