Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

Where next?

I’ve been having an 12month trial & tribulation with my dealer over a noise. (Full story on another thread)

After various failed attempts to fix it (bear in mind they have acknowledged there IS a none standard problem by even starting to replace bits) they have ground to a halt in their attempts.

This is primarily because they fitted a £5000 transfer box and it didn’t stop the noise….in fact it may? be a bit louder.*

I pointed out that it wasn’t a £5000 bill to them as 1) their labour cost to them is not £120/hour, 2) it was a refurbished box, so mine would be recycled also and 3) since the noise wasn’t being caused by my transfer box there’re isn’t any need to refurbish it anyway!

*the fact the sound has changed suggests that it’s being generated by something ‘in contact’ with the transfer box that needs looking at. I am wondering if that is something mega like the gear box itself (which might account for the dealers hesitancy) or the output from the transfer box?

Not being familiar with the drive train I am wondering if there is something else ‘gearing up’ between the transfer box and the final drive to each wheel (nb the noise is pulsing at around 1/3 the rpm of the road wheels if that’s relevant) that might be simply transmitting it’s ailment to the transfer box?

I suppose I am approaching ‘table banging time’. Having been patient (havent needed the car much during pandemic) my frustration is building with the new year expectancy of more use. Until now I have avoided confrontation in favour of frequent (maybe irritating to them) phone calls but silence is now their response.

I am there fore looking at how to raise the anti. Is it time to bypass the dealer and contact LR direct? Has anyone used the Motortrade Ombudsman? Or press them legally under the 2015 sale of goods act?

Anyone got any prior experience of this situation and suggestions?

Thanks
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

How much does the noise bother you?

If it's so loud you can't drive the car then you'll need to get it sorted. On the other hand, if the noise is not a nuisance itself but it only bothers you because you're worried that something might break then just keep the car covered by warranty and "drive it like you stole it" until whatever it is breaks properly and can be found or it never breaks and you sell the car.

For example, my previous D5 had the clunky rear diff. The dealer did multiple oil changes, inspections and never found any evidence of abnormal wear or function but they never solved the noise. There was never any lack of functionality and the noise wasn't annoying (just occasionally when turning at low speeds) so I decided that my time was more valuable to me than pestering the dealer to keep getting the car in to try to fix it. 3 years and 47000 miles later I sold the car for a good price. I can't hear the noise anymore. Laughing

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 

That’s a fair point.
    The noise currently is only noticeably annoying when travelling at slow speed range of 25- 350mph. So setting off from a standstill like a boy racer and avoiding slow traffic would in all honesty be achievable and more in keeping with my usual driving style. Cool

I suppose it’s my sense of injustice when spending a big wedge of money. Having to put up with a fault which they have acknowledged (by even starting replacing bits) is not right.

Were it not for the unavailability problems of alternative vehicles I would have been pursuing a replacement or simply selling it on. But the current new and preowned climate is probably too much like “ jumping out of the frying pan into the fire” , as my old mother used to say.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Try LR, then a Solicitor and finally an Ombudsman.

Done a rejection with a belligerent multi national dealership and it was awful. They had a real spite and took it personally from the COE downwards.

They only folded after I’d instructed a Solicitor to take them to court, but it was literally within an hour of going formal.

LR wasn’t interested as the contract was between myself and the dealership. Nothing to do with us Gov attitude, pathetic.
  • Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

However if no fault has come to light or manifested itself your on a hiding for nothing as strange noises can be very subjective and It sounds like the dealership has made an effort to put your mind at rest , even though they have tried to diagnose an issue that you report does not mean they accept there is one! The extended warranty will catch the bill if it does eventually fail .
  • Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

sorry duplicated
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 

Popsdosh wrote:
    However if no fault has come to light or manifested itself your on a hiding for nothing as strange noises can be very subjective and It sounds like the dealership has made an effort to put your mind at rest , even though they have tried to diagnose an issue that you report does not mean they accept there is one! The extended warranty will catch the bill if it does eventually fail .

They have invested time and parts (wheel bearings and other items) without claiming on warranty. It was only when a major change like a transfer box loomed, did they put it through the warranty process (so I was told)

This might be considered going the extra mile to appease me, but their comments to me after test drives and observations by others travelling in my car with me have all concluded something was ‘wrong’ as opposed to me being fussy. They have stated unequivocally that it wasn’t within normal noise variations between similar vehicles and ‘needed’ to get it sorted.

I have been given some information that may take us in a different direction of attack. Will update on the outcome in due course. Thanks
  • Whippetman
    England 

This type of Main Stealer attitude is exactly why I left the marque after 15 years of loyalty.
    Each of my vehicles, both new and approved used cost an average of £50k each.
    Their attitude of well it’s not their fault or responsibility and lack of concern or even their willingness to lend a loan car of similar standard just finished me.
    It’s very sad as I also loved the models and really wanted to be there but was let down time and time again.

HSE LUX, Aintree Green GONE
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum