Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Blackfly
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

Cold weather tyre pressures

I notice this every winter when we drop down to -15C or so. A check all tyre pressures warning comes on. My pressure monitor is normally set to normal loads, in cold conditions if you set it to light loads, the warnings go out.

Just an observation, and a check with a gauge usually confirms all is well, although last night at -20C without wind chill, I couldn't be arsed to use a gauge Very Happy

F50, Fourtack, LR3 and now..............D5 HSE TDV6
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

I keep mine on light load unless it's really loaded up with family and gear and I need to raise tire pressures.

On 255/60-20's (my summer ATs) or 275/55-20's (snows) it seems to drive best on the road at 37psi front / 41 rear. If it's really snowy I'll drop to the light load recommended 34/39 no matter the load.
  • MAPMA
    England 

Re: Cold weather tyre pressures

Blackfly wrote:
    I notice this every winter when we drop down to -15C or so. A check all tyre pressures warning comes on. My pressure monitor is normally set to normal loads, in cold conditions if you set it to light loads, the warnings go out.

Just an observation, and a check with a gauge usually confirms all is well, although last night at -20C without wind chill, I couldn't be arsed to use a gauge Very Happy

It's not the TPMS confused with winter. Air density varies with temperature which means less volume of air inside the tyre with colder temperatures which will translate in less pressure. I run my tyres at the lower end of the "warning signal" (30/33) and if temperature drops TPMS will flag it.
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

PV=nRT
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum