Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• heavy_fuel
    Australia 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) SE Namib Orange

JLR have reached a conclusion.

I will never buy one of their cars again.

Quote: "We are under no obligation to offer any support, but as a gesture of good will we are prepared to make a contribution. Please contact your dealership to discuss the details."

The offer is 40% of the repair cost. Great! ....But only up to a maximum of $7k.

The repair will take over 2 months! Because of parts availability.

No offer of a loan car, so their contribution of basically wiped out by the cost of a hire car.

When I rang back to challenge I got a very rude Customer Manager telling be to be grateful and then leave me with "perhaps you need to ring the dealership you bought the car form in the UK and take it up with them."

101 Training in how to destroy a brand. In Australia JLR has a reputation for being unreliable and unhelpful.
    Now I've experienced it first hand it's a well deserved reputation that will kill the brand over time.
  • Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

Really sorry to hear that ! Must admit the ones that seem to have more success leave it to the dealer to sort out . It is one of the drawback of exporting and importing cars as they leave the jurisdiction they were bought in . I think if it was an Australian vehicle they would be required to replace the engine FOC by law , I know of all places that is the situation in China.
    How helpful have the UK dealership been? im guessing sadly they may take the attitude they dont need to be !
    I wouldnt give up just like that , Maybe consider using uk courts as you where sold a vehicle new that had a known fault they were aware of. I can guarantee from recent personal and people I know cases in the UK that would be sorted FOC by JLR From the number of engines they are having to be replaced i wonder how much is being added to new prices to cover it. You are just unfortunate that you have fallen outside what they feel obliged to do.
  • Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

heavy_fuel wrote:

101 Training in how to destroy a brand. In Australia JLR has a reputation for being unreliable and unhelpful.
    Now I've experienced it first hand it's a well deserved reputation that will kill the brand over time.

The Australians arent alone in that Rolling with laughter

Having said that I found with a helpful dealer ( that values customers) they know who to talk too.
  • heavy_fuel
    Australia 

Will be onto the UK again tonight.

I'm prepared to ship it back to the UK if they will fix it.
    Then I'll just sell it over there.
  • Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

that would need a cast iron guarantee to be an option.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Outside the 3 year warranty, you’ll never get a curtesy car from LR even in the UK. Your only hope is a sympathetic dealer with a spare car, so I wouldn’t hold my breath.

Watch how far you push LR. They could withdraw the goodwill altogether. Mind you up to $7k isn’t much use that said. That’s about £3,500. It depends on your final bill. If it’s a new engine……….
  • Whippetman
    England 

If it’s a new engine……….

I was told mine would have cost me £17,000.

HSE LUX, Aintree Green GONE
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Shocked

I bet their profit is more than £3.5k. It does seem a miserly amount, but I suppose it’s £3.5k you don’t have to find.

I am just glad it’s not me. If it was, I’d probably speak with a Solicitor and see what can legally be done, but then the goodwill gesture evaporates if you pursue it.

Sod it, I’d go legal despite that.
  • heavy_fuel
    Australia 

Moving the car across borders put me in a weak position.

The real kick in the guts is that they think the repair will take 2-3 months because of a parts shortage and they won't provide a loan car.
    So I need to hire a car which will basically cost the same as their contribution!
  • Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

if its any cosolation mine was off school for 10 wks ! The dealer had 6 others waiting Rolling with laughter

Also extended warranty nor JLR would supply a courtesey car its entirely up to the dealer . I got one for 3.5 weeks and not a landrover car . The dealer said JLR are trying to stop dealers keeping loaners as they are so short of new cars for customers.

Last edited by Popsdosh on 20th Jan 2022 11:26 pm. Edited 1 time in total
  • Whippetman
    England 

When mine got trailered to stealer for new engine at 28,000 miles he told me 12 Jaguar were there awaiting new engines but had to await units to be manufactured.
    SHOCKING

• drwhopilot
    United Kingdom 

If anyone is forced to pay for a new engine and the LR contribution isn't sufficient:

Given that only option offered by LR seems to be a brand new engine, is it worth going to an independant and getting them to either rebuild the engine or fit a short block (assuming they are available) or get a replacement from a scrapyard?

Once the car is over 3 years and out of warranty these might be good options...

And they might be more generous on a loan car!

I once had an older SAAB. The main dealer only seemed to go for the easy and most expensive option whereas the independant I used was a real engineer who was happy to strip down components and replace the broken/worn bits for a fraction onf the cost.

Example: Main dealer - engine out, fit new clutch master cylinder - costing a fortune

Independant: "we get a lot of these - there is a trick to removing the master cylinder without removing the engine, and there is a service kit to replace the failed rubber components in the cylinder." Total cost £100 (OK, this was few years ago...)
  • Whippetman
    England 

Sensible advice.
    It seems that 2 of the 4 cylinders suffer low compression.
    Does it really need a complete new unit?

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum