Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Media screen jumps between Apple Car Play & LR screen

For a couple of months I've noticed the media screen in my three-year-old Discovery HSE will, sometimes when my iPhone 12 Pro Max is connected, jump annoyingly between the Apple Car Play screen and the standard LR home screen. It'll stay 20-40 seconds on one, before jumping - unprompted - to the other.

It happens on around 1 in 10 journeys, and if it does it, there's no way to cure it other than to pull over, switch off, lock the car and let it completely reset, then try again after a good wait.

Rebooting the phone does nothing. Changing the lightening to USB lead does nothing. The intermittent problem still remains.

And call me cynical, but I don't think it's an Apple issue!

I've got the car booked in in a couple of weeks' time, but wondered if anyone else has had this issue, so I can give the dealer a clue as to what's wrong. I know perfectly well they're just going to tell me "we couldn't replicate the fault,." but I've at least got a video of it from my wife's phone, to show them the issue.

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks!

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Mine has done similar a couple of times, iPhone 11 Pro Max. Only in the last few weeks.

The only thing that crossed my mind was that, when it has happened, I’ve been giving the system a good work out turning up the volume. I wondered if it could be heat related - load up the amp, it kills the source of the load before cooling and allowing it back in. Complete guesswork, but that’s what the outcome felt like.

I’ve done the LR shoulder shrug and didn’t mention it when it was serviced a couple of weeks back.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 

Interesting - thanks for the feedback. From my side, it's happening immediately after start-up, and normally when the phone has been doing nothing other than sitting on the sideboard at home or on my desk at work for a while. So the demand on it, and the car, have been light up to the point of it going wrong... a mystery!

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Sounds like we might have two different “features” Very Happy

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • B50int
    United Kingdom 

Might it be a (intermittent) poor connection on the lighting port? I have noticed since I started using a wireless charger for my iPhone that complete failure to connect to CarPlay in the car is more common.

I certainly feel like I need to clean the port out on my phone more than I used to!

I had thought about a wireless CarPlay adaptor but not overly positive feedback on here from those that have used them.
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 

Interesting thought and I'll have a peak inside the port tonight with a torch... but seems unlikely, as mine sits in an Otterbox Defender case with a rubber seal over the top, so should be kept pretty immaculate.

• jungle42
    Luxembourg 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

Hi, I just stumbled over your post. When my iPhone is not charged to at least 30% this is exactly what happens to me... carplay gets disconnected, the carplay homescreen is replaced by the ictp screen. And then, after a few moments, carplay returns and so on.
    If the iPhone is fully charged, this does not happen...

MY17 HSE Luxury Corris Grey 3.0 si6 with Black Pack 21 inch
  • discus
    United Kingdom 

i've had this occasionally but not been able to identify a pattern to when it occurs. At first I thought it was a bad cable, but after replacing it still saw it. However after upgrading from iPhone 11 pro to iPhone 13 pro, it seems to have pretty much gone away. Not sure if it was a worn connection problem with the old phone, or something else, but so far so good.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum